~ New Release ~ Mini-Review

Bach Piano Transcriptions [Volume 6]
by Walter Rummel (1887-1953)
25 Transcriptions
Jonathan Plowright, piano (Steinway)
Hyperion 674812 [2 CDs], 133+ minutes, DDD
Recorded in Potton Hall, Suffolk, England
July 7-10, 2005

It is interesting to see how musical happenings develop. I, of course, heard of the Berlin-born Walter Rummel but I never really took notice of his work until a fine chap by the name of Werner Isler (well known on these boards) introduced me two Rummel transcriptions performed live by Bruce Hungerford. I knew Hungerford's playing through his commercial Vanguard recordings of the Beethoven sonatas and his Chopin. But this was a much different Hungerford than I heard through his commercial discs. Hungerford captured the essence of Bach with a tone quality and spirit of playing I had not yet encountered in this music. It was as if Hungerford was communicating with his audience in a totally spiritual manner. It was unforgettable and awe-inspiring.

Now comes Hyperion's two-CD set of all twenty-five of Rummel's piano transcriptions, their sixth offering in the Bach transcription series, and a beauty it is in every respect. In this space, however, it is impossible to identify each one and talk about it at length.
Transcriptions of Bach's music certainly is not something new. Several great composers such as Liszt, Siloti, Friedman, Busoni, Tausig and several others transcribed much of Bach's original organ music for the piano. Other transcribers arranged much of the organ music to be rendered by full symphony orchestras. Stokowski and Ormandy performed (and recorded) this music frequently. Very few, indeed, have transcribed the arias, duets or chorales or overtures from Bach's cantatas or oratorios for the piano. The disc is further enhanced with Rummel transcriptions of some of JS Bach's organ preludes as well.

The first Rummel transcriptions I heard performed by Hungerford were the chorale from Bach's Cantata No. 22, "Erdödt, uns durch dein' Güte," and followed by "Mein gläubiges Herze, frohlocke, sing scherze," the aria from Cantata No. 68. They were performed beautifully here by Mr. Plowright who also conveys a special feeling in all these recordings. Still Hungerford provides that ethereal quality that can only be revealed in a live concert setting.

Other transcriptions I found especially appealing include the magnificent duet from Cantata 78, "Wir eilen mit schwachen, doch emsigen Schritten/Jesu, der du meine seele." Rummel captures the spirit of Bach's original idea with gusto. But you must also acquaint yourself with the original soprano/mezzo-soprano duet that was once rendered by Marthe Angelici and Germaine Cernay with organ accompaniment [Lumen 78-rpm 30079] to appreciate even more the Rummel transcription. Then from Cantata 92 is the aria "Das Brausen von den rauhen Winden," and the cembalo obbligato from the Cantata 203, "Lass dich nimmer von der Liebe berüken."

Most of these transcriptions range in time from two minutes to almost twelve minutes. The longest at 10:48 and 11:51 are the overture to Cantata 146, "Wir müssen durch viel Trübsal," and the aria from Cantata 127, "Die Seele ruht in Jesu Händen." Those who enjoy listening to the Liszt transcriptions of Beethoven's nine symphonies will revel in what Jonathan Plowright accomplished in the overture to Cantata 146. One hears so much more detail in the keyboard reductions that might be missed in the original orchestral version; in other words, it "fine-tunes" your ears when listening to the original scores. The excerpt from Cantata 146 is one of the most attention-getting works on the entire set. The pulse in the bass line at the beginning is unforgettable.

These two Hyperion discs offer the original transcriptions in the four "series" rendered by Mr. Rummel himself. The transcriptions were all published between 1922 and 1938 by music publisher J. & W. Chester of London, England.

Some of the best music Bach ever wrote can be found in this music in the Rummel transcriptions. Jonathan Plowright reveals himself as a pianist of great distinction in preserving the entire range of Bach's musical expressions, from the most subtle sounds to fff passages. While I always held the pianist in the greatest esteem from his many previous recordings, my respect for him just moved up several notches. These are thoroughly convincing transcriptions that could hardly be bettered in their performance. The pianist's sense of "line" is immediately apparent as is his dynamic range, which is further helped by an exquisite Steinway piano in an acoustically perfect setting for this music. Charles Timbrell supplies the notes. All-in-all, another first class issue from Hyperion.

Five stars all the way ... very highly recommended.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]