Classical Express label - opinions?

Ethan

Classical Express label - opinions?

Post by Ethan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:02 pm

I’ve got two discs from this label, Mozart: Music for Winds, which features three basset horns, and Bach: Flute Sonatas Vol. 1, which features a period-style wood flute. I find both of these recordings to be quite nice. I’m wondering what opinions others have about this label, and if there is any sort of loose consensus. My experience with Classical Express has been positive, thus far.

Mark Antony Owen

Post by Mark Antony Owen » Mon May 01, 2006 10:03 am

Never come across this label before ... and it seems their website is either down or gone.
"Neti, neti."

Formerly known as 'shadowritten'.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon May 01, 2006 11:33 am

I didn't have any success getting to Classical Express either. What goes?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

GK

Post by GK » Mon May 01, 2006 12:40 pm

I believe that they are Harmonia Mundi's budget line consisting primarily of recordings which were previously released on Harmonia Mundi. I've seen them sold for less than Naxos and suspect that they are generally better than Naxos in terms of performance and sound.

Ethan

Post by Ethan » Mon May 01, 2006 1:18 pm

Classical Express is a budget label. I first saw it at Barnes & Noble, and have also seen it at Virgin Records, where they had a small display of budget discs (a couple of bins) and a section therein of Classical Express stuff. I've seen them for between $6.99 and $7.99.

These discs are from "Harmonia Mundi USA." My Mozart was recorded in 1989 in Seattle. The Bach disc was recorded in 1990 at Skywalker Sound (!), and it does sound pretty swell. Hopefully George Lucas doesn't try to go back and digitally insert some casio synthesizer in place of the harpsichord.

Gregory Kleyn

Post by Gregory Kleyn » Tue May 02, 2006 1:42 am

Generally I prefer label names that elicit pleasing and distinctive historical, cultural, or geographical associations over those with the vulgar ethos equivalent to a fast-food or dry-clean drive-through.

Ethan

Post by Ethan » Tue May 02, 2006 3:27 am

Ok, Gregory, were I starting a label, I would not have chosen this name, but it's the music that counts, and this stuff has been very nice indeed. In fact, I bought the second volume of the Bach flute sonatas today, and it is fantastic. I enjoy being able to find great deals on music (or wine and anything else for that matter)...it not only saves money, but makes me feel quite cunning.