An humble question ...

mourningstar

An humble question ...

Post by mourningstar » Wed May 17, 2006 3:59 pm

Hello, I have a question that is haunting me for years, and i was hoping maybe you could delight me from my agony, well it goes like this.

in the movie "Shawshank redemption" they play a song(opera) and i think its called "16 marriage of Figaro" (and i've asked several people and they don't know it either but they all agreed with me when i said, that is maria-callas who's singing)

now my main question is, who is the composer of this part? if you could enlighten me, i would be more then glad :)
"Desertion for the artist means abandoning the concrete."

PJME

It is from an opera by Mozart

Post by PJME » Wed May 17, 2006 4:39 pm

To Andy's amazement after six years of request letters, boxes of books ("a charitable donation") are delivered to the Supervisor's office accompanied by a check for two hundred dollars from the State Comptroller's Office. One of the guards, Wiley (Don McManus) grins and congratulates him: "Good for you, Andy." When the guards leave momentarily, Andy savors his victory - he leafs through a stack of used record albums in a wooden crate and finds a boxed set of Mozart's opera "The Marriage of Figaro" - Le Nozze de Figaro. [Symbolically, The Marriage of Figaro was about a valet/servant Figaro who outwitted his master Count Almaviva.] In another redemptive act similar to the one on the rooftop, he places the record Duettino: Sull'Aria on a phonograph player in the office, locks the doors and broadcasts the opera on the P.A. system throughout the entire prison to share a moment of freedom and make the prison walls dissolve.
etc etc etc

You do not hear "La Callas"!. it is the 1968 Karl Bohm version starring Gundula Janowitz, Hermann Prey, Edith Mathis, Tatiana Troyanos and Dietrich Fischer Dieskau. We hear the voices of Gundula Janowitz and Edith Mathis in "The letter duett"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000 ... nce&n=5174 You can listen to fragments. Click on disc 2 for all tracks. It is nr 28
28. Le Nozze Di Figaro - Act 3: 20. Duettino: ('Sull'aria...') - 'Che soave zeffiretto'

Ei già il resto capirà, certo, certo il capirà. Canzonetta sull’aria...
Che soave zeffiretto... questa sera spirerà... sotto i pini del boschetto... Ei già il resto capirà... Certo, certo il capirà, il capirà.

in English

He will understand the rest. Certainly he will understand it. A little song on the breeze... How gentle is the zephir... that this evening moves the air... under the pine trees in the woods... And he will understand the rest... Oh, yes, he will certainly understand the rest.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Re: An humble question ...

Post by Corlyss_D » Thu May 18, 2006 1:13 am

mourningstar wrote:in the movie "Shawshank redemption" they play a song(opera) and i think its called "16 marriage of Figaro" (and i've asked several people and they don't know it either but they all agreed with me when i said, that is maria-callas who's singing)

now my main question is, who is the composer of this part? if you could enlighten me, i would be more then glad :)
Probably the most beautiful music ever written for two sopranos. I don't believe Maria Callas ever sang a Mozart opera.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

mourningstar

Post by mourningstar » Thu May 18, 2006 7:18 am

thanks alot guys. Mozart, How Nice :o .. but my odd maria callas gues, was just a wrong :lol:
"Desertion for the artist means abandoning the concrete."