Marie-Aimée Varro - Joyce Hatto Updates

mazeppa

Marie-Aimée Varro - Joyce Hatto Updates

Post by mazeppa » Fri May 19, 2006 2:45 pm

I have spent the last 2 months tracking down information on Varro (aka Warrot) and am pleased to report that with the most incredible stroke of good luck I will soon have all her North American private recordings, master tapes and interviews etc. As well some European performances on tape and private lp. A substantial smattering of Liszt including both Concerti, Sonata B min (found in my own collection!), Legends, Mephisto #1, a few etudes, and Sonnettos. Also 6 more unheard Concerti and much more. We now know a lot more about her and this will be documented in the near future.

Last week a friend emailed to say that Naxos will soon be releasing Volume 2 of their Historical Series, Women Pianists at the Piano. One track will be Warrot. Hopefully this will be something we have not heard or tracked down. No reference is on the Naxos site yet but they confirm it's true. Surely there are plenty more European tapes out there including the missing Totentanz.

Meanwhile the Joyce Hatto sampler arrived and it is truly astounding. Brahms, Verdi-Liszt, Bach-Liszt, Chopin, Schubert, Debussy, Balakirev, Mozart. She simply excels in every composer she tackles, the technique is gigantic, the musicality even more so. We await 20-odd cds with great anticipation.

Mazeppa

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri May 19, 2006 3:40 pm

Mazeppa, this is absolutely GREAT news, especially for pianophiles! Please keep us posted on the developments. I, myself, am eager to have more of her recordings. Do you think more issues will be forthcoming, and maybe even a book about her life?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]