i've decided...

david johnson

i've decided...

Post by david johnson » Thu May 25, 2006 9:49 am

...to purchase a recording of beethoven's 'missa solemnis'. i've not listened to that in a long while.

advise me what to get. i'm thinking klemperer, but i don't really know.

thanx
dj

PJME

Apart from Klemperer....

Post by PJME » Thu May 25, 2006 10:38 am

...there are many other recordings. And I'm sure you'll get plenty of advise on all the Greatest Recordings by the Greatest Conductors and the Very Best Singers and Choirs...I just want to inform you that on Harmonia Mundi you can find an interesting alternative...:
CD / Harmonia Mundi / Harmonia Mundi (HMX 2901557)

Rosa Mannion (sopr.); Birgit Remmert (mezzo); James Taylor (tenor); Cornelius Hauptmann (bas); Collegium Vocale Gent, Koor van La Chapelle Royale, Orchestre des Champs-Elysées; Philippe Herreweghe (dir.)

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu May 25, 2006 11:05 am

Fortunately, your choices are many. While the work has never been my most favourite by Beethoven, he (and many others) have considered it his magnum opus.

I have quite a few recordings, including live performances with the legendary Greek conductor Dimitri Mitropoulos. Outside of that box, I would recommend three, two historical, the third not:
  • BBC Legends 4016 [2 CDs] - with Thorborg, Milanov, Moscona (all great Toscanini collaborators), and the set includes Beethoven's 7th Symphony, Mozart's Symphony #35 - all live with the BBC Symphony Orchestra [Historical].
  • OR - RCA 60272 [2 CDs] - with Marshall, Merriman, Hines, Conley. The chorus is conducted by Robert Shaw, who was supreme in any choral music [Historical].
  • Telarc 80150 [2 CDs] - w/McNair, Taylor, Aler, T. Krause, soloists with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, which is coupled with Mozart's C Minor ("Great") Mass. Here, Robert Shaw does everything, conduct the orchestra and directs the chorus. This will surely go down in history as one of the finest modern-day recordings.
Double-check catalogue numbers. Recordings are being reissued so fast these days that it's hard to keep track.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Barry

Re: i've decided...

Post by Barry » Thu May 25, 2006 11:58 am

david johnson wrote:...to purchase a recording of beethoven's 'missa solemnis'. i've not listened to that in a long while.

advise me what to get. i'm thinking klemperer, but i don't really know.

thanx
dj
My advice is to stick with your initial thought and get the Klemperer, which has long been my favorite recording of the Missa. The chorus are the stars in this piece; not the soloists or orchestra, and the Philharmonia Chorus does a wonderful job for Klemperer.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Thu May 25, 2006 1:41 pm

Klemperer is good, but my favorites are the two Bernsteins. Another fave of mine is one no one else will tell you about--Kurt Masur and the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orch. I wouldn't recommend this last as anyone's only Missa Solemnis, but it emphasizes the role of the soloists and has a lovely, charming, quiet chamber music quality about it at times. For a HIP performance, the Gardiner is good, too.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Thu May 25, 2006 2:13 pm

I like Masur & the Gewandhaus in the set of symphonies I've got, so I'd give them a spin for the Missa solemnis
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Thu May 25, 2006 5:17 pm

I recommend the von Karjan on DG Galleria with Fritz Wunderlich, Christa Ludwig, and Walter Berry. Some high powered talent that. The disc also has Mozart's Coronation Mass, a wonderfully zesty work.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Sat May 27, 2006 5:02 am

Telarc 80150 [2 CDs] - w/McNair, Taylor, Aler, T. Krause, soloists with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, which is coupled with Mozart's C Minor ("Great") Mass. Here, Robert Shaw does everything, conduct the orchestra and directs the chorus. This will surely go down in history as one of the finest modern-day recordings

that's the one i got. 2 for one of things i didn't have. think i'll dabble with otto's a little later.
thanx for the advice, my listening friends.

dj

val

Re: i've decided...

Post by val » Sat May 27, 2006 6:19 am

david johnson

i'm thinking klemperer, but i don't really know.

I prefer Klemperer, with his prodigious sense of the architecture of the work and his spiritual dimension. The soloists are also very good (but not superior to those of Karajan's version for DGG).
The version of Gardiner is not as dense as Klemperer (here, I don't know if it is a quality), with a good articulation, more contrasts, more colour, but - in my opinion- also superficial, as if the Missa Solemnis was, more than everything, a decorative "fresque".