Pierre-Laurent Aimard

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Pierre-Laurent Aimard

Post by Corlyss_D » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:01 pm

Anybody heard this guy? Know anything about him? Thoughts?
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

herman

Post by herman » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:28 pm

"Anybody heard this guy?"

Are you on Mars?

He's been performing and recording for fifteen years. He's getting out of fashion by now.

From Messiaen and Ligeti onwards he's really good. His Beethoven concertos with Harnoncourt were unremarkable.

BWV 1080

Post by BWV 1080 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:18 pm

His recordings of the Ligeti Etudes on Sony are suberb and his recent Carter / Ravel disc has gotten rave reviews and is on my current acquisition list.

Barry

Post by Barry » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:19 pm

Second the Ligeti etudes recommendation.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

MahlerSnob

Post by MahlerSnob » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:44 pm

A phenomenal pianist. He also kicked me out of a practice room at Tanglewood a few years ago, and was incredibly nice about it.
-Nathan Lofton
Boston, MA

WWBD - What Would Bach Do?

PJME

Biography

Post by PJME » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:52 am

"I regard Pierre-Laurent Aimard as the leading performer of contemporary piano music today. He has secured himself this outstanding rank through his technical mastery, through the poetry of his touch and the full spectrum of its shadings, and through his total identification with the spirit of each work."
- György Ligeti

"Born in Lyon, France, in 1957, Pierre-Laurent Aimard studied at the Paris Conservatory, where he won four first prizes. As a student of Yvonne Loriod from the age of twelve, he developed a close relationship with the composer Olivier Messiaen and has subsequently become a leading interpreter of his works for piano.

It was as the winner of the Olivier Messiaen International Competition in 1973 that Aimard came to international prominence. Since then, he has played throughout the world under the direction of such conductors as Pierre Boulez, Seiji Ozawa, Zubin Mehta, Charles Dutoit, André Previn, Andrew Davis, and David Robertson. He made his American debut with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra at the age of twenty. In 1977, at the invitation of Pierre Boulez, he became a founding member of the Ensemble Intercontemporain. Both as a member of the Ensemble Intercontemporain (with which he played for eighteen years) and independently, Aimard takes an active role in the world of contemporary music and has given numerous world premieres. Pierre-Laurent Aimard has a deep commitment to bringing contemporary music to more classically-oriented audiences, taking great care to combine well-established compositions with contemporary pieces in his programs. He collaborated frequently with such composers as Boulez, Stockhausen, Ligeti and Kurtag and also encouraged and performed the work of younger composers such as George Benjamin and Marco Stroppa.

Aimard also plays a vast traditional repertory both as soloist and chamber musician. He has performed with, among others, the Chicago Symphony, the Cleveland Orchestra, the Boston Symphony, the San Francisco Symphony, the (London) Philharmonia, the Royal Concertgebouw, the St. Petersburg Philharmonic, the Toronto Symphony, the Orchestre de Paris and the Orchestre National de France. He has also been featured at the Tanglewood, Salzburg, Berlin, Vienna and Edinburgh festivals as well as at the Triennale in Köln, the Holland Festival and the Paris Autumn Festival.

Aimard is married to the pianist Irina Kataeva and has two children, Marc-Antoine and Alexandra."

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:06 am

When I used to teach at the Prep Center at Brooklyn College about 10 years ago I had a colleague, quite a brilliant pianist named Daniel Rubenstein, who played Lygeti Etudes impressively. Wonder what he's doing now, since we lost touch.
Donald Isler

pizza

Post by pizza » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:11 am

For anyone who enjoys the Ives Concord Sonata, Aimard's recording is not to be missed; the songs performed by Susan Graham are also quite special:

Songs: The Things Our Fathers Loved; The Housatonic at Stockbridge; From the Swimmers; Memories (A – Very Pleasant, B –Rather Sad); Ann Street; Serenity; 1,2,3; Songs my mother taught me; The Circus Band; The Cage; The Indians; Like A Sick Eagle; “A sound of a distant horn”; September; Soliloquy (or a Study in 7ths and Other Things); A Farewell to Land; Thoreau Piano Sonata No.2 Concord, Mass, 1840-60 * Susan Graham (mezzo-soprano) Pierre-Laurent Aimard (piano) Tabea Zimmermann (viola) *
Emmanuel Pahud (flute) * Rec. Grosser Saal, Vienna, November 2003 (Songs) and January 2004 (Sonata) WARNER CLASSICS 2564 60297-2 [79.18]

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:31 pm

Well, if Lygeti is his thing, he'll have to continue unappreciated by me. I wouldn't listen to Lygeti on a bet. I liked the Ravel, tho'.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form