Wilhelm Backhaus

Gary

Wilhelm Backhaus

Post by Gary » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:44 am

Any fans of him here?
"Your idea of a donut-shaped universe intrigues me, Homer; I may have to steal it."

--Stephen Hawking makes guest appearance on The Simpsons

premont

Post by premont » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:43 am

Certainly. His two Beethoven piano sonata cycles are among the highlights of my Beethoven collection. Wilful but utterly convincing.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:08 pm

How good to see Backhaus's name here! Certainly he was one of the most respected names in pianists during his day. He was recognized as an authority in the Classical period repertoire and his complete Beethoven piano sonatas and piano concertos, and any Brahms he recorded—concertos, collaborations with Fournier, etc., are truly memorable recordings. I was not all that enamoured with his early Chopin, though some of his Schumann was spellbinding (Fantasy, etc.). Some of his Schubert, from his last recital, was very special, all played at nearly the very end of his life. I fear, however, that the Backhaus name is being forgotten with each passing year, especially as his recordings are not being made available as much, and deletions are happening all the time.

British Decca did have a Backhaus "Edition," some of which I was fortunate to find though it wasn't imported into the US. This and the Philips Richter Edition I would love to see reissued in total once again.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:46 pm

The very first piano concerto I heard when I was a child was Beethoven's PC 4 played by Backhaus. I must have made a great impression on me ... I can still see the greenish LP cover in my mind.
I finally know what I want to be when I grow up:
Chief Dog Brusher, Music Room Keeper, and Assistant Sunlight Manager
in a hillside Mansion for Ancient Musicians.

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:16 pm

I have never found Backhaus to be terribly deep, but his technical brilliance can be quite thrilling sometimes.
Donald Isler

Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:18 pm

Donald Isler wrote:I have never found Backhaus to be terribly deep, but his technical brilliance can be quite thrilling sometimes.
Donald, I have to agree with this (now, as an adult).
I finally know what I want to be when I grow up:
Chief Dog Brusher, Music Room Keeper, and Assistant Sunlight Manager
in a hillside Mansion for Ancient Musicians.

Gary

Post by Gary » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:56 pm

I first became acquainted with the name, Wilhelm Backhaus, through his recording of the Rondo Alla turca from Mozart’s Sonata in A major, K 331 on Decca (part of the ol’ London Weekend Classics series). Since it was on cassette, I later tried to acquire a CD copy of that very recording, but was unsuccessful. Then I found a different Decca recording of Backhaus playing the rondo on CD. It is his last recorded recital (Ossiach, 28 June 1969); I think it is the same one that Lance made reference to above. In fact, the performance was given eight days before the actual final recital, which took place on the same day of his death.

However, the recording of eight days before did not sound like the playing of a dying man. Granted, the performance was mistake-ridden, but one could hardly fault the intensity of Backhaus’ execution. He still had it! Also on the program are: Beethoven’s Waldstein Sonata; Schubert’s Allegretto-Trio from his Impromptu in A flat major, Op.142 No.2; B’s Sonata No. 18; selections from Schumann’s Fantasiestucke; and what I presume to be a retake of the Schubert Allegretto-Trio from Impromptu in A flat major.

Later, I had the good fortune to happen upon a recording (on memoria/Divox) of Backhaus playing all Mozart works for the solo piano at the 1956 Salzburg Mozart Festival. On the program in the order played are: Fantasia in d minor, Sonata No. 14, No. 10, Rondo in a minor, and Sonata No. 11. Here, the Alla turca is much better performed.
"Your idea of a donut-shaped universe intrigues me, Homer; I may have to steal it."

Gregg Deering

Post by Gregg Deering » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:29 pm

Donald Isler wrote:I have never found Backhaus to be terribly deep, but his technical brilliance can be quite thrilling sometimes.
Hi Donald,

Who do you like in Beethoven?

I am a Backhaus fan, particularly in Beethoven, but not to the exclusion of any one. You've just questioned one of my unexamined assumptions. I realize that Backhaus does not do "mystical" like Kempff, and I love Kempff in Beethoven and even more in Brahms, but I always thought that Backhaus had some insights into Beethoven.

Just curious, I'm always looking out for more Beethoven.

Thanks,

Gregg

Werner
CMG's Elder Statesman

Post by Werner » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:41 pm

Hi Gregg,

I guess I'd have to say my favorite Beethoven pianists are Schnabel (despite the technical lapses; no one is deeper than him) and Hungerford.

Regards,
Don
Werner Isler

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:44 pm

Sorry! I accidentally posted just now under my father's name (Werner). But those are MY favorite Beethoven pianists (and his too, I think!)

Don
Donald Isler

daycart

Post by daycart » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:49 am

Backhaus is good when you're in the mood for a brisk performance of Brahms.

I have a "Brilliant Classics" Chopin collection that includes an oooold, complete performance of the Etudes. Very impressive. I find his later London recordings of Chopin too staid.

Gregg Deering

Post by Gregg Deering » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:22 pm

Thanks Donald,

I have been meaning to listen to the Hungerford recordings for years, every time I have an LP in my hands I seem to find something that I need to have, have never heard and will not see again. I will make amends.

A visiting friend from German once brought me a complete set of the Beethoven Sonatas by Gulda (the later recordings, I don't know who made them originally, this set came from a record club of some sort). Anyway when my friend was a music student in Vienna Gulda's Beethoven was in vogue, I wonder if Hungerford is not some what the same in the US particularly in the late 60's and 70's? In any case, he seems mainly to be appreciated by those who know their Beethoven.

Next time I'm in the used record store, I will get a Hungerford LP.

I've been collecting the Schnabel, but I have only had time (between Bach and Shostakovich) to only listen to the first few volumes.

dirkronk

Post by dirkronk » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:24 pm

Backhaus is one of those pianists whose gruffness and power just appeal to some basic part of me, especially in Beethoven. I was aware of Backhaus for years before I really came to appreciate his playing. Then I chanced upon one of those old box sets from the early years of the LP (the "long box" with swing-out sleeves attached to a wooden dowel) of B's Carnegie Hall LvB sonatas. Hardly note-perfect, but the playing is so vital! I later came to really love his Emperor with Schmidt-Isserstedt. I'm not quite as fond of the other performances from that stereo cycle, but the 5th still does it for me. I also have, on some Italian vinyl label from the '70s or '80s, a transfer of Backhaus doing the LvB 4th piano concerto in concert with Cantelli and the NYP (I think). Not an everyday kind of performance but fascinating...very much "an event" in the way they present the piece. I always want to stand and clap at the end.

Someday I'm going to have to acquire one of Backhaus' full LvB sonata cycles. Meanwhile, I'll make do with the assorted LvB and Brahms and Schumann stuff I've got.
:wink:

Dirk

premont

Post by premont » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:36 pm

dirkronk wrote: Someday I'm going to have to acquire one of Backhaus' full LvB sonata cycles. Meanwhile, I'll make do with the assorted LvB and Brahms and Schumann stuff I've got.
:wink:

Dirk
If you want the mono Bachaus Beethoven cycle, you shouldn´t wait too long. As far as I know - but Corlyss may again be my rescuing angel, it is only available by HmvJapan and God knows how long time still. Nevertheless I find the stero set (released by Decca) and still available in Europe (!) much better.

premont

Post by premont » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:40 pm

Deleted double post
Last edited by premont on Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:44 pm

Hi Gregg,

Thanks for your interesting response.

Most of the Hungerford recordings have been recently re-released by Artemis on the Vanguard Classics label, so they are once again available.

I would not say that Hungerford was "in vogue" here in the 60's and 70's (would that he had been so lucky!) but at least he was starting to be known. Before the recordings came out, starting around 1968, he was little known, but by the time he died in 1977, having recorded most of the Beethoven sonatas as well as LP's of Schubert, Brahms and Chopin his name was at least familiar to most music students, and people who paid attention to classical music here in New York. 20 years later he was mostly forgotten, and a historical figure, whose name meant little to modern conservatory students. But hopefully the currently available releases will help make more people interested in this repertoire aware of him.

Regards,
Don
Donald Isler

Gary

Post by Gary » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:30 am

Donald Isler wrote:I have never found Backhaus to be terribly deep
Donald,

This may be due to my relative unfamiliarity with Backhaus' style, but I see his depthless approach as mere mannerism-free playing. Or is that just the other side of the coin?

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:27 pm

Gary,

If that's your reaction I can't argue with it. We all have our own taste!
Donald Isler

Gary

Post by Gary » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:06 pm

Donald Isler wrote:Gary,

If that's your reaction I can't argue with it. We all have our own taste!
Whoa! I didn't mean to make you angry, Donald. I did indicate that it could be a misconception of mine due to my unfamiliarity with B's style. Sorry I made you mad.

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:24 pm

Hi Gary,

No, I'm not angry at all. I was just commenting that we all react differently. Actually it was an interesting idea you expressed.
Last edited by Donald Isler on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donald Isler

Gary

Post by Gary » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:33 pm

:)

Gregg Deering

Post by Gregg Deering » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:19 am

Thanks for the reply Donald.

By the way I really like Gulda in the early and middle sonatas. This may have tempered some of my reaction to Schnabel. I like Schnabel a great deal, but Gulda brings out the dance rhythms in certain sonatas and I feel that this is more "Beethoven" than other readings of Beethoven. I also feel the same way about Enesco's Bach violin recordings. I seem to be on a tangent...

OK, on thread, I did enjoy Backhaus/Bohm Beethoven PC#3 last night.

I will pick up some Hungerford records this week, records are cheaper than the CDs.

Gregg

Gary

Post by Gary » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:55 pm

Gregg Deering wrote:Thanks for the reply Donald.

By the way I really like Gulda in the early and middle sonatas.
Did Gulda really perform naked on one occasion?

Gregg Deering

Post by Gregg Deering » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:42 am

Gary wrote:
Gregg Deering wrote:Thanks for the reply Donald.

By the way I really like Gulda in the early and middle sonatas.
Did Gulda really perform naked on one occasion?
That's an oft told story, but I've never bothered to find out why, I assume it was in a Jazz concert? Oddly though, I often listen to my Gulda recordings naked. (place teenage girl making a retching "yuck" sound here)

bye,

Gregg

premont

Post by premont » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:22 pm

Gary wrote: Did Gulda really perform naked on one occasion?
It is true, I have seen a photo from the evenement.

Gary

Post by Gary » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:51 pm

premont wrote:
:shock:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:30 pm

premont wrote:
I wonder what the audience's reaction was to the music ... seeing someone naked on stage!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Gregg Deering

Post by Gregg Deering » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:54 pm

Lance wrote:
premont wrote:
I wonder what the audience's reaction was to the music ... seeing someone naked on stage!
They said, "Damn, I thought it was the lady cellist"*.

Gregg

*aka Charlotte Moorman.

premont

Post by premont » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:39 am

Lance wrote: I wonder what the audience's reaction was to the music ... seeing someone naked on stage!
The audience isn´t clearly visible on the picture. Gulda is photographed from behind obliquely stark naked sitting at a concert grand. It is impossible to see if it is a classical concert. Well this event became classical.

Gary

Post by Gary » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:50 am

premont wrote:
Lance wrote: I wonder what the audience's reaction was to the music ... seeing someone naked on stage!
The audience isn´t clearly visible on the picture. Gulda is photographed from behind obliquely stark naked sitting at a concert grand. It is impossible to see if it is a classical concert. Well this event became classical.
Premont,

Is that photo available on the Web anywhere?

premont

Friedrich Gulda

Post by premont » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:47 am

Gregg Deering

Post by Gregg Deering » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:39 am

I wonder if he ever ended up as one of those pot bellied middle-aged spedo wearers. Mid life crises for the male....

Gregg

Speaking from experience on both the "middle-aged & "male" aspect of the harangue.

Gary

Post by Gary » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:21 pm

:lol: Thanks, Premont!

gfweis

Backhaus

Post by gfweis » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:44 pm

Here's a Backhaus gem: on an Enterprise cd from 1993, a "studio recoding" in Geneva of WB doing the Opp. 13, 27/2, 53, and 57. Recording dates are given as 1958/59. All performances are spontaneous, and find WB in excellent form. All are exceptionally good, but the highlight is the Op. 57. You would have difficulty turning it off even if your spouse were calling you from another room. The WB virtues are on full display on this cd. Honesty, simplicity, an unwavering unity of conception. Sometimes stiff, sometimes impatient (just like LvB no doubt was). It all sounds right. I have the Beethoven stereo box, but this cd is my favorite by him, and my reminder of how great a Beethoven interpreter WN was. At times he seems not to play Beethoven but to channel him.
Greg Weis

Gary

Re: Backhaus

Post by Gary » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:11 pm

gfweis wrote:Here's a Backhaus gem: on an Enterprise cd from 1993, a "studio recoding" in Geneva of WB doing the Opp. 13, 27/2, 53, and 57. Recording dates are given as 1958/59. All performances are spontaneous, and find WB in excellent form. All are exceptionally good, but the highlight is the Op. 57. You would have difficulty turning it off even if your spouse were calling you from another room. The WB virtues are on full display on this cd. Honesty, simplicity, an unwavering unity of conception. Sometimes stiff, sometimes impatient (just like LvB no doubt was). It all sounds right. I have the Beethoven stereo box, but this cd is my favorite by him, and my reminder of how great a Beethoven interpreter WN was. At times he seems not to play Beethoven but to channel him.
Thanks for the contribution, Gfweis.

Sounds like a great recording. Unfortunately, Amazon does not appear to have it in stock.

Gregg Deering

Re: Backhaus

Post by Gregg Deering » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:03 pm

gfweis wrote:Here's a Backhaus gem: on an Enterprise cd from 1993
Thanks I'll haunt Academy (used records and CDs in NYC) until I find it.

Gregg