Composer for Classical Harmonica needs help.

Cyril Ignatius

Composer for Classical Harmonica needs help.

Post by Cyril Ignatius » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:51 pm

I am a composer of short pieces for solo harmonica (10 hole chromatic in C) typically 2-4 minutes in length, and perhaps best termed "light classical miniatures", my compositions vary, but are generally not too complex, and I suppose would be considered in the "New Romantics" genre. I began playing in cafes this past March and want to get my music out. I am self taught, my musical tastes running straight classical, ranging from my own compositions, to short pieces by others, and Welsh airs, etc..

I have written over 50 compositions at this point. Where can I get help (editorial, etc.) in bringing these to publication? And who might be the best publisher for this? I live currently in Northcentral Kentucky - can anyone suggest good playing venues anywhere in this region. I am from the Upper Midwest, and still have family and other connections there. Can anyone recommend places in Minnesota and Wisconsin that might welcome this style of music?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Cyril Ignatius

Gary

Post by Gary » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:42 pm

Hi Cyril,

I don't have any knowledge about publishers.

As for "good playing venues"...well, since you mentioned Minnesota, I wonder whether Garrison Keillor would be interested in a person of your talents. They seem to invite lots of extraordinary musicians to perform on A Prairie Home Companion.

Incidentally, my dad played the harmonica when he was a teenager.
"Your idea of a donut-shaped universe intrigues me, Homer; I may have to steal it."

--Stephen Hawking makes guest appearance on The Simpsons

Cyril Ignatius

Post by Cyril Ignatius » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:59 pm

I have occasionally heard Garrison Keillor's show years ago, and he does have some unique acts, although most often the musical style seems to be various forms of bluegrass, etc.., and far afield from what I do. But they do get some classical musicians in there - in fact the great violinist Gil Shaham once came through, I have heard.

Keillor's a great radio talent, that for sure, a gifted storyteller. I once saw him at a Minneapolis showing of a film of old footage of the great violinists. To be sure, the Minneapolis/St Paul area has a great classical music scene and would have many more related venues.

As far as publisher's, I'm still at a loss. Someday, I will post them on the web, but insist on copywrite protection beforehand. What is clear is the need to move quickly, I have a large number of compositions that I want to get out, and the number seems to be growing quickly.
Cyril Ignatius