City. The 7 to 10-day festival has been broadcast at Christmas time for
many years, and for the last several on the internet also. In contrast
to the BBC marathon and to its own tradition, the WKCR festival this
year presents Bach's works in chronological order, beginning with his
job as an organist at Weimar at the age of 18 and continuing to his
death at Leipzig at the age of 65.

12tone

Post by 12tone » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:10 am

What with the whole programmed feature of Beethoven and now again with Bach, is all this healthy? Is it good in the long run to have this much of a single composer's work put out in so little time?

It's easy to get sick of something after hearing it for so long...same with food in a way.

Not that anyone has to listen to this Bach feature 24 hours a day. It's just the thought that his music will anyway be played 24 hours a day.

Plus the publicity. We shouldn't make any of these composers superstars.

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:49 pm

12tone wrote:What with the whole programmed feature of Beethoven and now again with Bach, is all this healthy? Is it good in the long run to have this much of a single composer's work put out in so little time?

It's easy to get sick of something after hearing it for so long...same with food in a way.

Not that anyone has to listen to this Bach feature 24 hours a day. It's just the thought that his music will anyway be played 24 hours a day.

Plus the publicity. We shouldn't make any of these composers superstars.
As I understand it, the BBC Beethoven festival created a significant number of new CM listeners. To my mind, whatver its drawbacks, this has to be the overriding factor in this day of declining high culture and rampaging pop mediocrity and visciousness. More power to it.

Unlike the BBC marathons, the WKCR festival is a venerable creature with hoary sideburns. Long may it thrive.

I myself get satiated after several hours and turn it off. Then after an hour elsewhere I am compelled to turn it back on again. Though Bach's works often tend to follow set patterns, within these patterns he can produce astonishing variety and originality of inspiration. Whether one who is hooked on the festival is experiencing spiritual enlightenment or is a candidate for rehab is something I personally can't answer.