Ton Koopman & Bach

PJME

Ton Koopman & Bach

Post by PJME » Wed May 31, 2006 2:45 pm

On June 5th, Ton Koopman will receive the prestigious Bach Medal in Leipzig.
It will be a very solemn moment at Leipzig’s annual Bachfest, for Koopman has finished his life’s work: recording all Bach’s cantatas! Volume 22 is probably already available in the shops. He won’t stop, of course: on his website he announces that he will start recording Bach’s latin churchmusic.
Paul Witteman, a Dutch journalist,TV presenter,writer and classical music connaisseur wrote a mildly ironic column in “De volkskrant”. He describes Koopman as a workaholic who never stops exploring and learning from obscure documents in church archives and libraries. For he is not only a musician but also a man of science and is never satisfied with easy answers.
In a recent lecture ,Koopman mentiones the Dutch translation of the Matthaeus Passion (“Our language, Dutch, hurts the music” – but that performance is a commercial succes in the Low Countries!!) and he is pitiless in condemning Bach performances without “a real choir” . (Joshua Rifkin, Jan Van Veldhoven/Dutch Bach society etc).
For Willem Mengelberg and his quasi Wagnerian interpretations, he has,surprisingly, a soft spot…”Before WW2 people perceived and listened differently to music .And they watched paintings differently aswell .Take those horrendous Vermeer falsifications by Han Van Meegeren.Nowadays,we can hardly understand that they were seen as authentic, but then (ca 1920-1930) Vermeer was perceived in a totally different way.” Koopman claims that the influence of jazz and popmusic, has sharpened our feeling for rythm – there is more attention to rythm in Baroque music .
And ,yes, even after all those years working on the cantatas, he still thinks that BWV 127 “Herr Jesu Christ, Wahr’Mensch und Gott” is the most beautiful….The opening chorus ,with intertwining flutes, oboes and strings ,of an incredible beauty.

Here is that infamous work by Van Meegeren and a real Vermeer to recover again!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:26 am

Peter, this is a beautifully written post in tribute to Ton Koopman who deserves much praise for his work. Thank you for also including the paintings.

Incidentally, how would one pronounce the "Ton" in Ton Koopman? Can you tell me phonetically?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:48 am

I love Koopman. His Handel organ concertos is for me the definitive performance, with all the right nuance and pathos and stylish ornamentation. I admire and enjoy others, but Koopman stands out. Although I was tempted, I never tumbled to his Bach because I really don't like Bach that much. I know somewhere in my lps I have an MHS recording with him accompanying a singer - Carolyn Watkinson I think - on the piano in either Wagner or Mahler songs.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

PJME

Koopman

Post by PJME » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:22 pm

Lance, Ton is short for Anton - so it's quite simple a short "o"
[o] , as in ...Anton, Ron, Von (Karajan..)!

I've heard & seen Koopman on Radio & Tv - he seems to be a nice person - a musicologist, a scholar, but definitely not a snob!