Music Videos

dulcinea

Music Videos

Post by dulcinea » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:01 am

Music videos started in the first half of the 80s. However, a video of RETURN TO SENDER--based on the movie where that song premiered--was a big posthumous success of Elvis. What other songs from before the 80s have been made into videos? I would certainly like to buy videos based on personal favorites such as IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW, KILLING ME SOFTLY, LOVERS CONCERTO and WE ARE ALL ALONE.
Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord! Alleluya!

BWV 1080

Post by BWV 1080 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:44 am

There is a classic one of Black Sabbath performing Paranoid complete with psychedelic color effects

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Entire movies in the 30s and 40s and 50s were music videos. They just didn't call them that. They called them "movies."
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:07 pm

When watching Something's Gotta Give (I'm an avid Nicholson fan), I was awestruck and still partially in denial when--over the closing credits--Paul Simon's "Learn How To Fall," probably my FAVORITE track from There Goes Rhymin' Simon, started playing.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Barry

Post by Barry » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:12 pm

I used to have (I suppose I could still, but haven't seen it in years) a bunch of promotional videos of Beatles songs on a single video. The Boys were in all of them and some of them were very much precursors of the music videos of the 80s. The most famous ones on there are probably the videos for Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:56 pm

Barry Z wrote:I used to have (I suppose I could still, but haven't seen it in years) a bunch of promotional videos of Beatles songs on a single video. The Boys were in all of them and some of them were very much precursors of the music videos of the 80s. The most famous ones on there are probably the videos for Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane.
Hard Days Night and Yellow Submarine and Help were music videos.
Corlyss

Chopin fan

Post by Chopin fan » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:48 am

There are many fine films that have used music in considerably more thoughtful and poignant ways than most contemporary music videos:

I am thinking of Rach's second piano concerto in David Lean's Brief Encounter.

Or Bergman's use of Chopin's Mazurka 4 in A minor in Cries and Whispers.

And even that little melody in Fellini's La Strada. Actually, I think that might be a more significant example than the others I mentioned.

Also, Marcel Camus' Black Orfeus (for the less classically inclined.)

Chopin fan

Post by Chopin fan » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:49 am

Singing in the Rain? An American in Paris?

Chopin fan

Post by Chopin fan » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:53 am

George Gershwin in Allen's Manhattan

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:51 pm

There's a million of 'em. A few months ago, I was watching It Happened In Brooklyn with Frank Sinatra and Peter Lawford and Katherine Grayson. Not only did Sinatra sing pop songs, but he and Grayson did a riff on a duet from Don Giovanni! Just about any musical, modern or western, on celluloid, was a music video.
Corlyss