A question about Britain's NATIONAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA

Wallingford

A question about Britain's NATIONAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA

Post by Wallingford » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:25 pm

I've been doing many google-searches on this orchestra--it's one I definitely want to see "live" the next time I can get to London (yeah, right, in the next lifetime......). But I can't seem to get on any sites devoted to it.

This is the orchestra that did back-up on countless operas, James Galway albums, & Reader's Digest box-sets. Is it only a RECORDING orchestra, or does it actually DO concerts?? I'd really appreciate someone's help on this.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:03 pm

It's probably one of those generic pseudonyms for very famous recording orchestras demanded by their exclusive contractual obligations to other record companies. We had a discussion of that pecular practice in another thread some months back.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Michael

Post by Michael » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:05 pm

Got in in one Corlyss :)
Michael from The Colne Valley, Yorkshire.

GK

Post by GK » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:09 pm

However, there is a real orchestra with that name. It is the house orchestra at Strathmore, the relatively new music hall in suburban Maryland.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:31 pm

GK wrote:However, there is a real orchestra with that name. It is the house orchestra at Strathmore, the relatively new music hall in suburban Maryland.
What? That's the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra in drag?
Corlyss

GK

Post by GK » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:55 pm

Corlyss_D wrote:
GK wrote:However, there is a real orchestra with that name. It is the house orchestra at Strathmore, the relatively new music hall in suburban Maryland.
What? That's the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra in drag?
Nope! See my post "Strathmore's Other Orchestra..." under Classical Concert Reviews.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:32 pm

I think you are out of luck ever seeing them, Wallingford:

http://www.answers.com/topic/national-p ... l-musician

Lance might be interested in the detail of this account.
Corlyss

pizza

Post by pizza » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:59 pm

I have one recording of the National P.O. conducted by Milton Rosenstock -- the complete ballet music of Morton Gould's Fall River Legend together with a recorded conversation between Gould and Agnes DeMille who commissioned it in 1948. Excellent performance on an Albany CD release.

Heck148

Re: A question about Britain's NATIONAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHEST

Post by Heck148 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:24 pm

Wallingford wrote:I've been doing many google-searches on this orchestra--it's one I definitely want to see "live" the next time I can get to London (yeah, right, in the next lifetime......). But I can't seem to get on any sites devoted to it.
I think it's a pick-up orchestra, similar to the various US ones - RCA Victor SO, Columbia Symphony Orchestra, Stokowski and "his" symphony orchestra, etc. it is called together for specific projects, recordings, etc.

from wikipedia:

<<The National Philharmonic Orchestra is a British orchestra created exclusively for recording purposes. It was founded by Sidney Sax. Such conductors as Leopold Stokowski, Richard Bonynge, and Charles Gerhardt have made recordings with it. Bonynge recorded all three of Tchaikovsky's ballets with it for Decca, and Gerhardt made a series of stereo recordings of Hollywood film music with it for RCA Victor. The orchestra has been featured on the soundtrack of many films, and, with Kenneth Schermerhorn conducting, it provided the music for Mikhail Baryshnikov's production of Tchaikovsky's ballet The Nutcracker.>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Philharmonic

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Re: A question about Britain's NATIONAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHEST

Post by Corlyss_D » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:30 pm

Heck148 wrote:
Wallingford wrote:I've been doing many google-searches on this orchestra--it's one I definitely want to see "live" the next time I can get to London (yeah, right, in the next lifetime......). But I can't seem to get on any sites devoted to it.
I think it's a pick-up orchestra, similar to the various US ones - RCA Victor SO, Columbia Symphony Orchestra, Stokowski and "his" symphony orchestra, etc. it is called together for specific projects, recordings, etc.

from wikipedia:

<<The National Philharmonic Orchestra is a British orchestra created exclusively for recording purposes. It was founded by Sidney Sax. Such conductors as Leopold Stokowski, Richard Bonynge, and Charles Gerhardt have made recordings with it. Bonynge recorded all three of Tchaikovsky's ballets with it for Decca, and Gerhardt made a series of stereo recordings of Hollywood film music with it for RCA Victor. The orchestra has been featured on the soundtrack of many films, and, with Kenneth Schermerhorn conducting, it provided the music for Mikhail Baryshnikov's production of Tchaikovsky's ballet The Nutcracker.>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Philharmonic
The answers.com article is longer and seems to be by an insider.
Corlyss

Michael

Post by Michael » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:13 pm

I remember Sidney Sax. Top dog in the free-lance world in London. There is a story that he once sat own on a chair that a player had put his violin on... the player apologised :lol: In those days very big money could be made if you were on Sid's books.
Michael from The Colne Valley, Yorkshire.