Help? A/B List Conductors?

chris kennedy

Help? A/B List Conductors?

Post by chris kennedy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:36 pm

Hi:
As far as respect, popularity & success, who are the Top 50 living conductors?

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:40 pm

I'd be hard pressed to think of the top 10.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

chris kennedy

Post by chris kennedy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:03 pm

Thanks those are some of the best known conductors out there. I'm also curious about some of the conductors that would be further on down the list of the Top 50. The conductors who are very popular & respected in their state or in their country, but perhaps not internationally famous. Any ideas?

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:41 pm

chris kennedy wrote:Thanks .those are some of the best known conductors out there. I'm also curious about some of the conductors that would be further on down the list of the Top 50. The conductors who are very popular & respected in their state or in their country, but perhaps not internationally famous. Any ideas?
There's a great gulf between the kinds you are talking about. If they are any good, they start guest conducting nationally and internationally. If they aren't, they don't become famous. I think you need to come up with some kind of more refined discriminator than popular and well respected but not internationally famous. Just my opinion, as Gurn would say.
Last edited by Corlyss_D on Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corlyss

chris kennedy

Post by chris kennedy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:59 pm

What about using salaries as a discriminator? If you're a conductor at a local college somewhere, I would suppose you're not demanding the kind of salary that an up & coming conductor simmering in the lower rungs of the Met would demand? Or am I wrong on this?

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:25 pm

chris kennedy wrote:What about using salaries as a discriminator? If you're a conductor at a local college somewhere, I would suppose you're not demanding the kind of salary that an up & coming conductor simmering in the lower rungs of the Met would demand? Or am I wrong on this?
Maybe we ought to discuss what the ultimate use for this information is. What are you trying to find out and why?
Corlyss

chris kennedy

Post by chris kennedy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:36 pm

Corlyss_D:

Thanks for the interest. I work for The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

We're trying to find a woman named Lisa Cohen (Cohen is her maiden name). The only info I have on her is that she married well, to a prominent conductor, who is seriously ill. I believe the couple have a young child also.
Lisa is most likely in her 30's.

Lisa's father was a Universal Newsreel director who was involved with an early important rock film we're investigating. We want to contact Lisa to ensure her father gets his due recognition.

I believe I've checked out all the obvious names out there who fit the bill...Gergiev, Levine, Masur...now I need to dig deeper, hope you and anyone here has some suggestions. Chris K.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:44 pm

Ah, yes. Now I remember. We went around about this unsuccessfully back in February. I'll give it another go.
Corlyss

Michael

Post by Michael » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:47 pm

I would certainly include Maris Jansons in that list....
Michael from The Colne Valley, Yorkshire.

Gary

Post by Gary » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:17 pm

How about this Lisa Cohen?

And here?
"Your idea of a donut-shaped universe intrigues me, Homer; I may have to steal it."

--Stephen Hawking makes guest appearance on The Simpsons

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:04 pm

I am not sure everyone on list qualifies as a great conductor. Esp. Danny B. But, the idea is to be fairly objective about this and list even people we don't like necessarily, but whom we know other thoughtful, sensitive, knowledgeable people do like. To the list, the following need to be added--

Boulez
Bychkov
Chung
Dohnanyi
Dutoit
Gardiner
Harnoncourt
Hogwood
Jarvi (pere)
Masur
Nagano
Polyansky
Previn
Rostropovich
Sawallisch
Tilson Thomas
Zander

And, of course, Jansons, as Michael has already pointed out.

That brings the list up to 30 condutors.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:47 pm

The question has been raised--who else is almost there, or may make a breakdthrough into the public consciousness in the next few years?

I would say Hans Vonk, previously mentioned, is in this category.

Another is Hans Graf, who has done a complete cycle of the Mozart symphonies and has been newly appointed MD of the Houston Sym. Another is Yan Pascal Tortelier, whose 4 CD CHANDOS box of the complete orchestral works of Henri Dutilleux I find very impressive.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

chris kennedy

Post by chris kennedy » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:56 am

Thaks for all the suggestions, I'm looking into them. Unfortunately, the Lisa Cohen links above is not the woman I'm looking for. It seemed like a slam dunk when I found out about her awhile ago, but no cigar. Please keep any ideas coming. Chris

Barry

Post by Barry » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:18 pm

RebLem wrote:The question has been raised--who else is almost there, or may make a breakdthrough into the public consciousness in the next few years?

I would say Hans Vonk, previously mentioned, is in this category.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Vonk die relatively recently (like within the past year or so)?
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Barry

Post by Barry » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:28 pm

Looked it up. It's closer to two year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Vonk

The one time I saw him live he led a very nice Mahler fourth with Sylvia McNair and the Philadelphia Orchestra.

One conductor who isn't that well-known in the U.S. yet who is on the verge of superstardom (at least by conductor standards) is Vladimir Jurowski. He was just named the next music director of the London Philharmonic after being the principal guest conductor for a couple years and made a spectacularly good debut with the Philadelphia Orchestra this past season. I think he's only in his early 30s, but he's got a lot of talent and also the sort of looks and podium persona that attracts attention. If that was all he had, I wouldn't be mentioning him, but as I said, he appeared at least in this one concert to really have talent and musical insight.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:47 pm

Barry Z wrote:

One conductor who isn't that well-known in the U.S. yet who is on the verge of superstardom (at least by conductor standards) is Vladimir Jurowski.
Is that job a one-year gig? It seems like Welser-Most, Slatkin and Mazur were all Music Directors within the past few years. Am I missing anybody?

John

MahlerSnob

Post by MahlerSnob » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:50 am

I am not sure everyone on list qualifies as a great conductor.
Zander
Ha. Maybe it's just because I've worked fairly closely with Zander for the past two years, but I don't have a very high opinion of his conducting. He's a good musician and is extremely charismatic (the actual reason he gets the jobs he gets), but most of his musical results are achieved through his musical staff - his assistants and advisors.

Anyway, I would add just these names that I haven't yet seen:
Spano
Ozawa (we've had the discussing about him being inconsistent, but he does still belong on a top-50 list)
Robertson (if you haven't seen him yet, try to - he's going to be a big-five conductor in a few years)
Alsop might also make top 50, although I personally don't have a very high opinion of her.
Runnicles
-Nathan Lofton
Boston, MA

WWBD - What Would Bach Do?

chris kennedy

Post by chris kennedy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:39 am

Great suggestions, thank you all. As far as Googling this topic, I feel like I've gone as far as I can go. That's why I came here, for the experts. C

DavidRoss

Post by DavidRoss » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:17 am

As a fan of San Francisco Opera, I’ll heartily second Donald Runnicles, though I’m not sure he’s well enough known to make a top 50 list. David Robertson is the first person who came to mind as an up-and-coming star in the making. If he’s at all successful with St. Louis it’s only a matter of time before he’s posted to a first tier orchestra.
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

Barry

Post by Barry » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:49 am

CharmNewton wrote:
Barry Z wrote:

One conductor who isn't that well-known in the U.S. yet who is on the verge of superstardom (at least by conductor standards) is Vladimir Jurowski.
Is that job a one-year gig? It seems like Welser-Most, Slatkin and Mazur were all Music Directors within the past few years. Am I missing anybody?
John
Seems that way, doesn't it. Well with Masur, he's probably leaving more because of his age than anything else. And I think Slatkin was with one of the other London orchestras; maybe the BBC. He may have also had some involvement with the Philharmonia at one point.
Still, unless he gets stolen from them by a better or higher prestige orchestra (I'm thinking my own hometown orchestra here), I suspect Jurowski won't flop in London. The fact that he's been given the job after being principal guest conductor would lead me to believe he's developed a pretty good relationship with the orchestra.

Sporkadelic

Post by Sporkadelic » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:58 am

chris kennedy wrote:Great suggestions, thank you all. As far as Googling this topic, I feel like I've gone as far as I can go. That's why I came here, for the experts. C
Here's someone you should try contacting. Henry Fogel is the President and CEO of the American Symphony Orchestra League, and a past President of the Chicago Symphony. Certainly, he knows and has worked with a number of prominent conductors. The ASOL website lists his email address as hfogel at symphony dot org.

chris kennedy

Post by chris kennedy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:19 am

Sporkadelic...I'm on it, thanks. Chris

Michael

Post by Michael » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:12 pm

Barry Z wrote:
CharmNewton wrote:
Barry Z wrote:

John
Seems that way, doesn't it. Well with Masur, he's probably leaving more because of his age than anything else. And I think Slatkin was with one of the other London orchestras; maybe the BBC. He may have also had some involvement with the Philharmonia at one point.
Still, unless he gets stolen from them by a better or higher prestige orchestra (I'm thinking my own hometown orchestra here), I suspect Jurowski won't flop in London. The fact that he's been given the job after being principal guest conductor would lead me to believe he's developed a pretty good relationship with the orchestra.
Slatkin was at the helm of the BBC SO and has taken the job of chief of the Royal Philharmonic Orch now. He was chief guest conductor of the Philharmonia for a few years but wasn't a big hit with them (or the BBC for that matter).
Michael from The Colne Valley, Yorkshire.

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:24 am

keri-lynn wilson would be a worthy addition to the list.

dj

chris kennedy

Post by chris kennedy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:18 am

Unfortunately, Henry Fogel was not able to help. My source is reliable, but this is proving to be a difficult search. Please keep any ideas coming...perhaps "tier 2" level conductors?