Which composer would you most liike to have met and why?

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:52 pm

Perotin and Leonin. I'd want to know how they thought up polyphony, what prompted them, children of monody, to invent the thing that gave us Western Music as we know it.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Harvested Sorrow

Post by Harvested Sorrow » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:33 pm

karlhenning wrote:
Harvested Sorrow wrote:
karlhenning wrote:Honesty without kindness is not necessarily a virtue.
Indeed. I don't really set out to be unkind (unless it's warranted), but if the choice is between being unkind and lying it's still likely for me to be honest.
I am also thinking, of another set of circumstances, in which (e.g.) somone has a character flaw (say, an ingrained prejudice and hostility towards Esquimaux), but he is perfectly honest in his expression of that hostility.
:lol: Have anyone in particular in mind when you think of that set of circumstances? :wink: And I do differentiate between being honest and beating an opinion about someone into people's heads, so it's not that particular variety of honesty. (Not that you said it was)

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:38 pm

Which composer would you most like to have met and why?
Good question.

Shostakovitch: I fear he wouldnt have given me the time of day though.

his 5th symphony convinced me that classical music was worthwhile.

----------

backup plan, assuming that DSCH is unforthcoming--Morton Gould.

maybe some of his urbanity would have rubbed off on me. hope springs eternal.

paulb

Post by paulb » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:05 pm

jserraglio wrote:Which composer would you most like to have met and why?
Good question.

Shostakovitch: I fear he wouldnt have given me the time of day though.

his 5th symphony convinced me that classical music was worthwhile.

----------

backup plan, assuming that DSCH is unforthcoming--Morton Gould.

maybe some of his urbanity would have rubbed off on me. hope springs eternal.
Yes Shostakovich was a unusual fellow. But who really cares when he wrote tremendous masterpices and lots of them. Very few duds in his entire ourve.
Schonberg was another that you may have found not to make the best at getting to know.
The topic is "who would you like to MEET?" The question says nothing about after the initial meeting.
hehe....
So as you assume correctly the moments after the initial meeting with Shostakovich and Schonberg may not have been 'the best times" of your life...hehe.....
But who really cares how their personalities were, both grand masters of many forms and have written music that will take centuries before their art forms find their peak.
Psalm 118:22 The Stone that the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone.
23 This is the Lord's doing , it is marvelous in our sight.

anasazi

Post by anasazi » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:39 am

I would probably go with history more than music. But then I do have so much admiration for J. S. Bach in either case. But the further back you go in history, the fewer the details. Since I can already feel that I have a bit of understanding of the most contemporary of composers, I would most like to meet Bach.

Where did he get his prodigious gifts? Never studied music at a school, he suddenly seemed to appear as a virtuoso, composer, teacher and an organ builder.

And I want to ask him how exactly do you finger the WTC? Bach said it was simple. Hey, not for me it isn't.
"Take only pictures, leave only footprints" - John Muir.

IcedNote

Post by IcedNote » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:25 am

I would have to choose Liszt. For me, that demonic nature of his music speaks [otherly]worlds to me. Accordingly, he has influenced me a great deal in my own music. Oh, and he has been called the world's "first rock star", so I know we'd have a blast!

-G
Harakiried composer reincarnated as a nonprofit development guy.

MahlerSnob

Post by MahlerSnob » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:52 pm

Actually, my first choice would be a composer I did meet but could hardly engage in extensive conversation: Leonard Bernstein. Second choice: mahler.
Two of my choices. Unfortunately, I am too young to have met Bernstein in a meaningful way, so he tops my list. I would prefer to meet him when he was younger and less bitter/depressed/drugged out/sick. Others would of course be Mahler, Copland, Britten, Ives, Debussy, and Stravinsky. Bruckner, although I'm not a huge fan of his music, was supposed to be a pretty fun person to spend time with.
-Nathan Lofton
Boston, MA

WWBD - What Would Bach Do?

Ken

Post by Ken » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:35 am

I would have loved to have met Franz Schubert, if only to console him that his music would be fully appreciated in the years after his untimely death.
Du sollst schlechte Compositionen weder spielen, noch, wenn du nicht dazu gezwungen bist, sie anhören.

paulb

Post by paulb » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:01 pm

IcedNote wrote:I would have to choose Liszt. For me, that demonic nature of his music speaks [otherly]worlds to me. Accordingly, he has influenced me a great deal in my own music. Oh, and he has been called the world's "first rock star", so I know we'd have a blast!

-G
Ice I think you'd like Pettersson, considering this comment about "rock star".
Psalm 118:22 The Stone that the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone.
23 This is the Lord's doing , it is marvelous in our sight.

dulcinea

Post by dulcinea » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:44 pm

:D :D :D I would befriend a lot of living composers. That way I would have the chance of having a serenade or a symphony named after me, as happened to Herr Haffner, or a trio, as happened to Cardinal Archduke Rudolph, or a Mass, as happened to Lord Nelson.
Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord! Alleluya!

Jack Kelso

Post by Jack Kelso » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:07 am

dulcinea wrote::D :D :D I would befriend a lot of living composers. That way I would have the chance of having a serenade or a symphony named after me, as happened to Herr Haffner, or a trio, as happened to Cardinal Archduke Rudolph, or a Mass, as happened to Lord Nelson.
I would choose a different path to immortality.

Jack
"Schumann's our music-maker now." ---Robert Browning

Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:26 am

I have to spend more time here than I do.

Martinu would be my first choice. I am cheating, in a way, because I could also meet Einstein at the same time since they both taught at Princeton.

When I listen to Martinu's sound world it is so different from anything else I know. I would love to get inside that head for a glimpse.
The Intellectual Hobo
Sum Ergo Cogito

"Emotion, life...or lifeless." Leopold Stokowski

dulcinea

Post by dulcinea » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:50 pm

Jack Kelso wrote:
dulcinea wrote::D :D :D I would befriend a lot of living composers. That way I would have the chance of having a serenade or a symphony named after me, as happened to Herr Haffner, or a trio, as happened to Cardinal Archduke Rudolph, or a Mass, as happened to Lord Nelson.

Jack
Am I to understand that you don't care to be friends with the likes of Mozart, Beethoven and Haydn?
Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord! Alleluya!

Jack Kelso

Post by Jack Kelso » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:38 am

dulcinea wrote:
Jack Kelso wrote:

Jack
Am I to understand that you don't care to be friends with the likes of Mozart, Beethoven and Haydn?
That's not what I meant. Having my name attached to a divertimento or serenade wouldn't turn me on. Incidentally, I actually wrote a 3-act play called "Divertimento". Now, if THAT ever gets produced----that would turn me on!

Jack
"Schumann's our music-maker now." ---Robert Browning

lala

Post by lala » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:26 am

I don't want to meet any of the immortals... it would probably be either scary or boring. If pressed I'd say Ravel (if it's weekday) or Haydn (if it's Sunday). Yeah, I am cheating.

I would like to meet Schnabel, though. :roll:

pardew

Post by pardew » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:02 pm

My choice would not be a Composer,but a performer,a living one at that ,Rostropovich.
We would have a fantastic meal loads of vodka,and he would tell me all about Prokofiev,Shostakovich,and Britten.

living_stradivarius

Post by living_stradivarius » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:35 pm

Leonard Bernstein :) because had such a complex persona and because WSS is my favorite musical...
or
Niccolo Paganini, to see if he was really possessed and to see if I could inherit some of those mad skills.