Any suggestions?

Kevin KW Cheng

Any suggestions?

Post by Kevin KW Cheng » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:21 am

I need some help here... I'll be going to UK and France with my family (parents and my bro) by the end of August for a trip. We'll be in France from 19th to 23 (or 24th) and then in London till the end of August. The problem is -- we'd like to see a concert or two in the famous halls of London but have no idea if anything decent is on.

Any suggestions? My parents are not that "into" classics so more "conventional" (instead of contemporary) concerts would be better for them.

Thanks everyone!

PJME

You could be lucky!

Post by PJME » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:33 pm

Tomorrow, july 14th, is the first day of the Proms. The concert will be broadcast on BBC2. ( BBC SO/ Belohlavek - Fragm. from mozart's Figaro & Don giovanni, Dvorak's Te Deum, Smetana's Moldau, Chostakovitch' fifth symphony) - a good way to start the WE!
The Proms run -every day- till september 9.

From the 25th on you have a wide choice : the German NDR orchestra under Christoph von Dohnanyi, Jukka Pekka saraste & the BBC SO, Philippe Herreweghe & Orchestre des Champs elysées (Mozart Requiem)
Lang Lang & the Pittsburg SO in Chopin nr 2 on august 30)..then you'll miss , the Nash ensemble, the Berlin Philharmonic /Rattle,the Philadelphia Orchestra /Eschenbach....etc
Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/ and "search"for PROMS, for all the details & prices....

You did not state where you will be staying in France.... I suppose Paris? !
No really big events in Paris during the summer...c'est les vacances.
However, there are always interesting things going on : the "Musique en l'Ile festival" at the church of Saint Germain ( do visit Delacroix' appartment/atelier around the corner, Musée national Eugène Delacroix, 6 place Furstenberg, 75 006 Paris. ).On August 20 the Youth Orchestra + chorus of Freiburg + soloists will perform Mozart, Handel and Purcell ( starts at 17 hrs.) another nice location is the Parc Floral ( a large garden) Concerts in the greenhouses. ..Also on august 20th : the Elysée stringquartet (at 16 hrs.).with Russian music....
There will be more of course: buy a (cheap )"La semaine à Paris" at any newspaper stand for full information.
Bring lots of money or be carefull...Paris has become very expensive ( in the tourist neighbourhoods a Coke or a coffee wiil cost up to 8 or 10 euro.)
If you travel to other cities ,the amount of classical music festivals is just staggering. Everywhere there will be organrecitals, chambermusic,choral gatherings,and big events like the Avignon festival....Most of these organisations/cities have websites - just surf on the net .

A nice place for cheap CD's : la Chaumière à musique in rue de Vaugirard 5 ( close to the jardin de Luxembourg/ Saint Michel)
) - or head for FNAC (several shops in the city = a very large chain of multi media - very very crowded on saturdays....) The one at les Halles is really big!
On Boulevard saint Michel 24-34 "Gibert Joseph" has often good prices, cut out series etc ( a big book/music shop, not far from Saint michel's fountain).
Have a good time!

Mark Antony Owen

Post by Mark Antony Owen » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:51 am

Check out the websites for the following venues:

Cadogan Hall

Wigmore Hall

St Johns Smith Square

Barbican

Queen Elizabeth Hall

... there are many others. Just Google. :wink:
"Neti, neti."

Formerly known as 'shadowritten'.

Kevin KW Cheng

Post by Kevin KW Cheng » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:42 am

Oww... thanks guys. I'll try to see what concert I'll be going and tell you guys about when I'm back... :wink:

living_stradivarius

Post by living_stradivarius » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:02 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/index.shtml?logo

Check out the Proms schedule. It's packed.