Recommendation for SACDs?

rwetmore

Recommendation for SACDs?

Post by rwetmore » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:09 pm

Looking for recommendations of excellent orchestral formances well recorded in DSD on SACD.

Barry

Post by Barry » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:08 pm

If you like Mahler's sixth, there is a new live recording by Eschenbach and the Philadelphia Orchestra that I like a lot and that's been getting good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphony-P ... F8&s=music
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Sapphire

Post by Sapphire » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:43 am

Rwetmore

It would be helpful if you could be more precise about what you are looking for. What you have written is far too vague.

If you simply leave your request like that, you may just get a long list of music from A to Z, knowing the way some people respond on here. I saw one response recently where a complete beginner wanted some advice on where to start. The amount of material that was suggested was incredible, some of it very esoteric indeed. One poster alone recommended just about 50% of everything that's ever been written.

The trouble is this is happening all the time, with recommendations varying according to who can be bothered to respond. It must be confusing for beginners, not knowing who to believe. It might be best, if it could be arranged, simply to put up a "sticky" with a few standard, well-regarded pieces for complete beginners to look at. But I guess that too may have problems.

To be honest, if you are looking for initial advice I reckon you would be far better off just going to Amazon/classical/sacd/bestselling and read some reviews. This is what many of the cognoscenti tend to do anyway, and then trot it out on here. You'll soon get the idea. It's dead simple. About 30-40 CDs should come up. You can even sample some of it. Choose which period/genre you like and go for the big names, and you won't go far wrong. Never buy cheap stuff or material from obscure orchestras. Same for DVD audio. If you want to discuss the finer points of particular recordings, fine, this sort of place might well help you decide. I'm sure it will, in fact, as there are some very helpful and knowledgeable people here.

Finally, watch out for recommendations of composers whose names you are not familiar with. They will likely be some esoteric works which in all probability you won't like, at least not for years, possibly never.

Saphire

Alberich

Post by Alberich » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:27 am

Mr. Wetmore:

There are lots of 'em...

I would recommend, for a change of pace,
the excellent symphonies written by the
conductor Felix Weingartner, on the cpo label. I believe all
are in SACD format. The music is unique and truly
captivating. Weingartner, through these works, has
proven to be one of the most inventive of the conductor/composers.
Really worthwhile.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:46 pm

High Fidelity Review is a site that seems to focus on SACD and DVD-audio releases across an amalgam of musical genres. The classical reviews are very comprehensive, comparative, and well-written with an emphasis on the performances and how they're served by the sound engineering.

Harold Tucker

Post by Harold Tucker » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:50 am

Since it is ok to blow your horn for your local orchestra I'll heavily recommend the recent Britten/Elgar disc by Paavo Jarvi and the Cincinnati Symphony. Check out this review from the above named source:
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/revie ... r=11818933

"We’ve never been stay the course, George!" G.W.Bush