RCA 59 CD Heifetz Collection

ch1525

RCA 59 CD Heifetz Collection

Post by ch1525 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:27 pm

OMG!!!

The 59 CD Heifetz Collection released by RCA just went for $1,235.00 on eBay!!! That's over $20 per CD and more when you factor in the shipping!!!

eBay: Heifetz Collection

I was thinking about bidding on it, but gave up when it crossed $400. :roll:

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: RCA 59 CD Heifetz Collection

Post by Lance » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:39 pm

ch1525 wrote:OMG!!!

The 59 CD Heifetz Collection released by RCA just went for $1,235.00 on eBay!!! That's over $20 per CD and more when you factor in the shipping!!!

eBay: Heifetz Collection

I was thinking about bidding on it, but gave up when it crossed $400. :roll:
Incredible! I'm glad I got mine when I got it, when issued. It is 65 CDs, I believe. I gave under $500 for it when it was new. I have the Artur Rubinstein Edition as well, and I understand that's garnering very high prices. Rubinstein is/was an idol of mine. I met the man on several occasions, talked with him, collected all his LPs over the years. THEN the "Edition" came out ... everything on CD, no pops and clicks or blemished LPs. I gave up many, many lunches to get this one! I have never regretted having these and have enjoyed them these many years. I hope you can find the Heifetz "Edition" somewhere at considerably lower cost.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

ch1525

Post by ch1525 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:32 am

Yep, the Rubinstein just went for $870 the other day. I was watching that one, too. :cry:

eBay: Rubinstein Collection

Speaking of Rubinstein, I've been wanting to ask you about Rubinstein for a while, Lance, but I kept forgetting. I am playing Chopin's Etude No.3, Op. 10 for a recital in December and I really wanted to see how Rubinstein interpreted it, but it appears that he didn't record a complete cycle of Chopin etudes, which really surprised me. Is this so? Did he ever record this etude?

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:38 am

ch1525 wrote:Yep, the Rubinstein just went for $870 the other day. I was watching that one, too. :cry:

Speaking of Rubinstein, I've been wanting to ask you about Rubinstein for a while, Lance, but I kept forgetting. I am playing Chopin's Etude No.3, Op. 10 for a recital in December and I really wanted to see how Rubinstein interpreted it, but it appears that he didn't record a complete cycle of Chopin etudes, which really surprised me. Is this so? Did he ever record this etude?
No, it is unfortunate that neither Rubinstein nor Horowitz recorded all 24 of Chopin's Etudes. Rubinstein recorded some in concert, but I would have to do some checking to determine if No. 3 from the Op. 10 was one of them. You might also want to check out the Cortot recording or the Robert Lortat recording of all the Etudes.

It's interesting that the original Rubinstein Edition/Collection only went for only $870. Of course RCA is making each of the CDs available now without buying the complete set. The live recital included in the big box, I understand, will never be issued on its own. And the accompanying book is like an encyclopaedia of Artur Rubinstein. The Rubinstein, I believe, is 92 or 94 CDs and comes in its own custom case.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:29 am

Lance wrote:
ch1525 wrote:Yep, the Rubinstein just went for $870 the other day. I was watching that one, too. :cry:

No, it is unfortunate that neither Rubinstein nor Horowitz recorded all 24 of Chopin's Etudes. Rubinstein recorded some in concert, but I would have to do some checking to determine if No. 3 from the Op. 10 was one of them. You might also want to check out the Cortot recording or the Robert Lortat recording of all the Etudes.

It's interesting that the original Rubinstein Edition/Collection only went for only $870. Of course RCA is making each of the CDs available now without buying the complete set. The live recital included in the big box, I understand, will never be issued on its own. And the accompanying book is like an encyclopaedia of Artur Rubinstein. The Rubinstein, I believe, is 92 or 94 CDs and comes in its own custom case.
What turned me off about the Heifetz Edition when issued was the packaging. A pretty garish cardboard box that contained the jewel cases. Add to that duplication and RCA's less than stellar reputation with historic material added up to a pass for me (reviewers did state that they did an excellent job on the historic transfers). Heifetz has to be ranked as the most influential violinist of the 20th century both among professionals and audiences. RCA could have done a better job in presenting his recorded legacy and perhaps one day they will.

Isn't the Rubinstein Collection still in print?

John

paulb

Post by paulb » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:25 am

:last yr someone sold me on the Heiftez hype, so I went and bought 8 of his cds.
Dumped them all.
Way over rated./
Rubinstein too. Can't stand his playing.
Psalm 118:22 The Stone that the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone.
23 This is the Lord's doing , it is marvelous in our sight.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:56 am

paulb wrote::last yr someone sold me on the Heiftez hype, so I went and bought 8 of his cds.
Dumped them all.
Way over rated./
Rubinstein too. Can't stand his playing.
Paul, dear friend of CMG ... you are, of course, entirely entitled to your opinion. But when you put it the way you did above, you are saying the rest of us don't know what we are talking about if we hold in the very highest esteem the artistry of Jascha Heifetz and Artur Rubinstein. What you are saying is that we are wrong and you are right. The whole world is wrong, you are right. Both artists are internationally recognized for their art and continue to be long after their demise. Are the critics wrong? Are we wrong? Is the world wrong? Could YOU possibly be wrong?

So both artists are overrated? By whose standards? To whom or what are you making comparisons to come up with this? What will happen here or anywhere is that you will lose whatever credability you have with people in music circles making blatant statements like that. [It's like saying: "I don't like chocolate - period: no explanation.] If you don't like Rubinstein's Chopin, then please tell me: whose Chopin would you hold to the highest standards? If you don't like Heifetz's recording of the Bruch Scottish Fantasy, then please tell me/us: who is better, in your humble opinion, of course. And go one step further and be more specific about something in the artistic creative process that you find offensive. Is it at bar 28 that Rubinstein goes awry? Is it because Heifetz has no musical heart at the beginning of the second movement? Perhaps, too, you simply don't like Chopin nor Bruch. Some of your opinions may simply be based on your dislike of the composer. But, indeed Paul, you have friends amongst us. That's why we talk here, to bring new thought and possible new music to one another, or enlighten each other and sounding happy when we make these musical discoveries. To throw away all your discs because these artists is not enlightening in any way that I can find.

I sometimes get the feeling you detest the world in general, or that you are unhappy. If you are a praying man, which I think you are, you should inquire of your Maker, why you have these kinds of feelings and are so willing to fluster others. I do not say this in jest or to be hurtful, but because I care, it would be nice to see you happier in the world of music, which COULD bring you so much inner joy and peace.

But since I have such a keen interest in people, a true and sincere interest—and you are one of these people—I would be curious to know if you are happy in your work and day-to-day activities. Do you have such high opinions of all aspects of art, living and working? Paul ... you will be missing out on so much in life with people, the arts, life ... unless you open the doors and try to be more flexible in your strictures of so much musical beauty in the world that, in my opinion, you have already missed. I am happy in my musical world; you give the impression you are not.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:01 am

Lance: you are right of course about Paulb. He seems to hate everybody.
(maybe H.and R.because were both jews ?), But on Bruch. hmm,
I prefer Rachel Barton Pine's version to H. Do you know it?

paulb

Post by paulb » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:21 am

rasputin wrote:Lance: you are right of course about Paulb. He seems to hate everybody.
(maybe H.and R.because were both jews ?), But on Bruch. hmm,
I prefer Rachel Barton Pine's version to H. Do you know it?

Lance I've been called by several folks, several times over at GMG, "xenophobe, anti humantist" nad even worse.
So you have plenty of believers that I am the devil himself.

Now onto Heifetz
His playing on a few works is quite interesting , on others its too sentimental. I think his later recordings were garbage, and its these I'm refering to.

His Bruch, early recording I happen to like.
What I am saying is that lets NOT overrate him, in the light of other moden violinists who are superior to Heiftez. Thats all.
Lets not keep him a "legend" when in fact he has alot of recordings where he puts in his "little" touches and ruins the music.

As to the fact both Heiftez and Rubinstein were jews and thats why I don't like them. Well I can't stand Howorwitz, and he is a jew also.

I should say, my mother was pure german, her parents were immigrants from germany who settled, like many germans, in Ohio as farmers.
In fact my grandfather had the attitude and spirit of a ...yes, a Nazi. I never met him, but know who he was by stories. You realize one doesn't need to wave a nazi flag to be called nazi. Its the attitude and spirit of the heart.

But my opinions on Heiftez, Rubinstein, hHwowitz, Bernstein, Levine...all jews, has absoluetly nothing to do with their religious background. I only judge them based on how I hear their work. And i tell you, I don't care for any of them. These guys more often than not, ruin beautiful music.
And i have no time to tell you more than that.
Nice day.
I'll peek back in later on.
Psalm 118:22 The Stone that the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone.

Werner
CMG's Elder Statesman

Post by Werner » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:33 am

Paul, I don't often respond to your posts because my view of these musical areas is so different from yours - and I feel there is something in your personality to like, in spite of our severe differences of opinion.

But I feel that something - if not all - of your dismissal of the likes of Heifetz, Rubinstein, Horowitz and others, all personalities recognized by their audiences and colleagues as the finest in their world, are based on the fact that they play repertoire that you have often treated dismissively. I believe that you've not taken the time to get to know these areas of the art. You therefore don't understand them or their interpreters.

It's entirely your right to choose what you're interested in - but I suggest that in that case you'd be closer to the truth in saying that these areas of the repertoire, or these performers, don't appeal to you, don't interest you, or don't "speak" to you, rather than to pronounce judgments of quality, which I don't think you are ready to make.
Werner Isler

paulb

Post by paulb » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:45 am

Werner you are exactly correct, most of what Heiftez and Rubinstein play do not interest me at all.
But some do, and those i have heard.
they play with sentimental inflection at times and push THEIR unique personality OVER THE MUSIC.

Heiftez could never play the repertoire that Gidon Kremer plays. Never.
besides Gidon Kremer has 2 recordings of Bach's sonatas/partitas that are outstanding. Heiftez, nor anyone else can touch him in either. Not even Grimeaux.

Rubinstein has never played the Mozart late pcs like Mitsuko Uchida. He did not possess those capabilities.
There are so many pianists of today that have surpassed Rubinstein in talents, though of course as you say its too different styles of works.

For me both Heiftez and Rubinstein were legends in THEIR OWN DAY. That day has passed. If you wish to hang on to memories, go right ahead.
Though I respect the past, I prefer to live more in the present.
Nice day