[Need Recommendations]Kempff's Beethoven

xiaopv

[Need Recommendations]Kempff's Beethoven

Post by xiaopv » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:11 pm

I am a newie here and I need some suggestions from you guys.

I want to get Kempff's Beethoven, violin sonatas, piano sonatas and piano concertos. It seems to me that for each work(s), I have (at least) two choices and they seem to cost roughly the same amount.

Beethoven's <i>complete violin sonatas</i>
1. Wilhelm Kempff, Yehudi Menuhin
2. Wilhelm Kempff, Wolfgang Schneiderhan

Beethoven's <i>complete piano sonatas</i>
1. Wilhelm Kempff, '50 mono version
2. Wilhelm Kempff, '60 stereo version

Beethoven's <i>complete piano concertos</i>
1. Wilhelm Kempff, Ferdinand Leitner
2. Wilhelm Kempff, Paul Van Kempen

I tend to get the relative earlier versions since I think the technique might be better in some sense. Also I have no problems with mono recordings, especially for solo works. Any recommendations which ones I should get?

Thanks!

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:26 pm

The one that were recommended to me were:

His MONO Sonata set. The performances are better than the stereo set IMO, with a bit more life to them. believe it or not, the sound is better too, with more bass. I can't say that Kempff is my favorite in the sonatas, but if you are locked in, I won't try to disuade you. If you are not locked in to this decision, let me know.

His Van Kempen PC set. I have not heard it yet, but when I buy this will be the one I will go for, as it has been recommended highly by people who's opinions I trust.

His Schneiderhan Violin Sonatas, from what I have heard of this cycle, it is incredible.
George

Bogey

Post by Bogey » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:28 pm

I am VERY happy with the Kempff stereo cycle of the piano sonatas....having said this, I have heard nothing but good things about the mono set which may be worth putting on the shelf beside my stereo set down the road. One thing to remember is there are two stereo editions....well, sort of:

and the remastered version (at least I believe this to be the case):

I have this later one, the Complete Beethoven Edition Vol. 5.

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:30 pm

Bogey wrote:and the remastered version (at least I believe this to be the case):

I have this later one, the Complete Beethoven Edition No. 5.
I have heard nothing but good things about the remasterings on those "Beethoven Edition" releases. I bet you made a smart move getting that one, Bill.
George

Bogey

Post by Bogey » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:34 pm

And I cannot disagree with Georges take on the MONO set....if I would have started with these, I would have been VERY happy with them as well and then be looking to get the stereo cycle down the road. One thing that may also persuade you to get the MONO cycle is that it is probably more likely to go out of print (as someone told me before), so....

xiaopv

Post by xiaopv » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:38 pm

Thanks everyone!
gperkins151 wrote:The one that were recommended to me were:

His MONO Sonata set. The performances are better than the stereo set IMO, with a bit more life to them. believe it or not, the sound is better too, with more bass. I can't say that Kempff is my favorite in the sonatas, but if you are locked in, I won't try to disuade you. If you are not locked in to this decision, let me know.
Now my plan is to get at least two sets of the piano sonatas. One by Kempff(either the mono one or the stereo one) and the other by Arrau since they are my favorite pianists. I tend to get the MONO version by Kempff since it is somehow a complement to Arrau's STEREO version.

But I would like to get other intepretations in the future. Please tell me your favorite, George. Thank you!

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:52 pm

xiaopv wrote: Now my plan is to get at least two sets of the piano sonatas. One by Kempff(either the mono one or the stereo one) and the other by Arrau since they are my favorite pianists. But I would like to get other intepretations in the future. Please tell me your favorite. Thank you!
Annie Fischer remains my favorite (on Hungaroton). Ironically, hers is a more masculine version of these works. Her tempos are faster than Arrau and Kempff, something that works well for me. If you go over to Amazon, I wrote a review over there of her set. (My name is George Perkins)

Gulda on Brilliant Classics is just behind her IMO and costs a great deal less money. His technique is rock solid and his tempos are nice and quick.
George

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: [Need Recommendations]Kempff's Beethoven

Post by Lance » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:11 am

xiaopv wrote:I am a newie here and I need some suggestions from you guys.

I want to get Kempff's Beethoven, violin sonatas, piano sonatas and piano concertos. It seems to me that for each work(s), I have (at least) two choices and they seem to cost roughly the same amount.

Beethoven's <i>complete violin sonatas</i>
1. Wilhelm Kempff, Yehudi Menuhin
2. Wilhelm Kempff, Wolfgang Schneiderhan

Beethoven's <i>complete piano sonatas</i>
1. Wilhelm Kempff, '50 mono version
2. Wilhelm Kempff, '60 stereo version

Beethoven's <i>complete piano concertos</i>
1. Wilhelm Kempff, Ferdinand Leitner
2. Wilhelm Kempff, Paul Van Kempen

I tend to get the relative earlier versions since I think the technique might be better in some sense. Also I have no problems with mono recordings, especially for solo works. Any recommendations which ones I should get?

Thanks!
Kempff is a marvel - at least he has been for me - most of the time.

Sonatas: The MONO version remains my favorite - and I have both. They are rock-solid performances, and, quite possibly, Kempff was at the peak of his career, interpretively and technically, when these were recorded. I studied them closely in their LP form and they, along with Artur Schnabel's historical set (on EMI, 8 CDs) are staple items of a good piano collection. Kempff's piano tone, too, is more harsh in the stereo recording. There are, of course, individual performances such as those by Solomon [No. 32, particularly], Michelangeli [No. 32 also], Edwin Fischer, Rubinstein (postively wonderful "Les Adieux"), Annie Fischer, Dame Myra Hess [Nos. 30/31], and Sviatoslav Richter in a good number of them. Also Clara Haskil [Nos. 17/18]. The list could go on and on.

Concertos: I love both of Kempff's equally, and have a particular passion for Ferdinand Leitner's conductorial work. These were truly great performances from Kempff, either the Van Kempen or the Leitner, you shan't be unhappy. [Alternately, consider Artur Rubinstein with the Symphony of the Air under Krips. Of his three integral versions, this one is generally regarded as the pick of the lot where Rubinstein is concerned.] An outstanding version is with pianist Leon Fleisher and the Cleveland Orchestra under George Szell. This, too, is the Beethoven concerto enthusiast's favorite pick (on Sony Classical).

Violin Sonatas: I am swayed towards Wolfgang Schneiderhan here, more than Menuhin, whose tone was not always centered, and, over all, Schneiderhan yields solid performances where, technically, Menuhin is not always on target and this insecurity presents itself many times. (Very definitely consider the Robert Casadesus (piano) and Zino Francescatti (violin) performances on Sony Classical, too.)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

val

Post by val » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:05 am

I prefer the Sonatas in Kempff's version of 1951. The sound of his piano has a magic beauty. Not my favorite version for the Sonatas (I prefer Schnabel and Gulda), but in some cases this is a sublime and very poetic version (opus 7, 10/2, 27/1 and 2, 28, 78, 90).

Regarding the Concertos I prefer the version with van Kempen to the one with Leitner, in special in the 3rd and 5th Concertos.

Regarding his version of the violin sonatas with Menuhin, the 5th is very good, the 10th also, but in general I prefer Grumiaux/Haskil and Francescatti/Casadesus.

gfweis

Post by gfweis » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:56 am

I'm fortunate to have both Kempff piano sonata sets, and I think you wouldn't go wrong with either. I actually find the sound in the stereo set more appealing (peace to Lance), but on musical grounds I too would plunk for the mono. The interpretations are very similar, but Kempff was a bit more flexible in the early 50s.

I have a stronger preference with regard to the concertos. Here I find the mono set with van Kempen clearly superior...bolder, with lots of Beethovian brio.

With regard to the violin sonatas, I would favor the Schneiderhahn, with the caveat that, as I recall, the instruments are not in good balance, the piano being too recessed.
Greg Weis

gfweis

Post by gfweis » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:59 am

I forgot to add that I agree with George Perkins: if I had to take only one set to the island, it would be Annie's.
Greg Weis

xiaopv

Post by xiaopv » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:02 am

Many thanks to everyone for so many words!
gperkins151 wrote:Annie Fischer remains my favorite (on Hungaroton). Ironically, hers is a more masculine version of these works.
I listened a few sample pieces including the first movement of Moonlight and the three movement of Appassionata at Amazon. It is much more masculine(from the speed) than both Kempff and Arrau. I might consider get a copy in the future due to the price.
gfweis wrote: With regard to the violin sonatas, I would favor the Schneiderhahn, with the caveat that, as I recall, the instruments are not in good balance, the piano being too recessed.
I think that is also the idea I have got from hearing the sample at Amazon. I tried the first movement of the Violin Sonata No.5, Spring. In the first half minute of the begining, the recording seems to me that the violin is always going to be the leading role.

Beethoven's Violin Sonatas by Grumiaux/Haskil and Francescatti/Casadesus seem out of print on CD from what I have learned online.

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:50 am

xiaopv wrote:Many thanks to everyone for so many words!
I listened a few sample pieces [of Annie Fischer] including the first movement of Moonlight and the three movement of Appassionata at Amazon. It is much more masculine(from the speed) than both Kempff and Arrau. I might consider get a copy in the future due to the price.
I don't know if I mentioned it, but her set is available in single CD's, if you want to go that route. Plus, a used CD shop (Academy records) in Manhattan had 5 or six of them when i last checked. They have a website and may do mail orders, in case you don't get into the city very much.
George

DavidW

Post by DavidW » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:56 am

His Van Kempen PC set. I have not heard it yet, but when I buy this will be the one I will go for, as it has been recommended highly by people who's opinions I trust.

His Schneiderhan Violin Sonatas, from what I have heard of this cycle, it is incredible.
Full agreement on this post! :)

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:21 am

DavidW wrote:

Full agreement on this post! :)
Well considering that you are one of those whose opinion I trust, this makes sense! :)
George

DavidRoss

Post by DavidRoss » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Xiao--some time ago when seeking another set of LVB piano sonatas I asked for recommendations on this site. The near-concensus choice was Kempf's mono set. I bought it, loved it, and have never regretted it. I have some other complete sets--including some mentioned here--but for sheer poetry nothing I've heard tops this set.
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

xiaopv

Post by xiaopv » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:13 pm

Thanks again to everyone.

I think I am going to get the mono version of Piano Sonatas and the stereo version of Piano Concertos.

Thank you George for the online store information.

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:41 pm

xiaopv wrote:Thanks again to everyone.

I think I am going to get the mono version of Piano Sonatas and the stereo version of Piano Concertos.

Thank you George for the online store information.
My pleasure. FWIW, a site called MicMacMusic has the Nat set available as a high quality MP3 download (10 CD's) for only 9.99 euro. That's about $13 US. I downloaded it today and I must say its a decent set. His playing has that rare quality of poetic beauty coupled with a nice Beethovian power when appropriate. His tempo selection is great too. The sound is mono, but acceptable.

For those who like higher quality, it is also available for 30 euros. I just thought it wouldn't be much better since the recordings were done 1930-1956.
George

premont

Post by premont » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:10 am

xiaopv wrote: Beethoven's Violin Sonatas by Grumiaux/Haskil and Francescatti/Casadesus seem out of print on CD from what I have learned online.
The Grumiaux/Haskil set will become rereleased by Brilliant Classics soon, as far as I know. This is my favoured version too - and the Schneiderhan/Kempff.

Concerning the Pianosonates, yes, one of the two Kempff versions, the Arrau, the Annie Fischer, and what next?
Wilhelm Bachaus (preferably the stereo set), virile, robust.
Paul Badura-Skoda (the Grammola set) lyrical, expressive and temperamental at the same time.
Andrea Lucchesini (live-recording) present and involving.
Ian Hobson and Michael Levinas (classical restraint).

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:48 am

premont wrote:
xiaopv wrote: Beethoven's Violin Sonatas by Grumiaux/Haskil and Francescatti/Casadesus seem out of print on CD from what I have learned online.
The Grumiaux/Haskil set will become rereleased by Brilliant Classics soon, as far as I know. This is my favoured version too - and the Schneiderhan/Kempff. [snipped]
I'm surprised to learn that Philips/Universal is sharing among their greatest treasures with Brilliant Classics. I had read somewhere that major companies were very concerned about Brilliant's pricing policies and what it was doing to the record market. Major companies, from what I read, were not going to support Brilliant's efforts or marketing procedures. Apparently there has been some rethinking on their policy.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

dirkronk

Post by dirkronk » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:12 pm

Lance wrote:
premont wrote:
The Grumiaux/Haskil set will become rereleased by Brilliant Classics soon, as far as I know. This is my favoured version too - and the Schneiderhan/Kempff. [snipped]
I'm surprised to learn that Philips/Universal is sharing among their greatest treasures with Brilliant Classics. I had read somewhere that major companies were very concerned about Brilliant's pricing policies and what it was doing to the record market. Major companies, from what I read, were not going to support Brilliant's efforts or marketing procedures. Apparently there has been some rethinking on their policy.
I'm surprised, too. But I'm quite excited to think that a new--and presumably very affordable--release of the Grumiaux/Haskil may be in the offing. I have only bits and pieces of the cycle on CD, though I do have it complete on vinyl. Anyone have specifics on a release date?

Dirk

premont

Post by premont » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:33 pm

Yes, here from my regular CD source:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/home/detail/-/h ... tner/news2