Joan Sutherland (soprano)
The Voice of the Century
~Celebrating Joan Sutherland's 80th Birthday~
Unseen photographs, complete 70-page Decca discography
Gallery of original LP/CD covers
First CD release of alternative scene from Lucia di Lammermoor
British Decca 475 7981, 2 CDs, 155:52, ADD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No question, the voice of Dame Joan Sutherland was one of the greatest vocal gifts ever given to the music world during the twentieth century. Her art was (and remains) very well documented. And she just celebrated her 80th birthday [November 7, 2006]. She is not singing much these days, but still doing her needlepoint and enjoying life. Hers was one of the finest singing reigns of all time. She set some new vocal standards in the art of singing, and along with Maria Callas, Beverly Sills, and Montserrat Caballé, and from those four, along with others, there was the perfect soprano for everyone who loved opera and singing.

If you're like me in your collecting habits, you've probably got everything of Dame Joan already, either on LP or the CD incarnations, some of which have slipped in and out of the catalogue, then subsequently reissued on CD again. The gallery of original covers is one of the most colorful and beautifully put together I have ever seen. I did find some errors or numberical exclusions. Some CD numbers previously released but deleted do not show and instead show the re-release CD catalogue number. Yet others showed both. I like consistency in a project like this. Where LP catalogue numbers are shown, only the British numbers are used, not the American "London" catalogue numbers.

There are wonderful tributes from Pavarotti, Marilyn Horne, Renée Fleming, Kiri Te Kanawa, and several others, along with a beautifully written lengthy tribute from Edward Greenfield. The half-inch thick CD "book" has countless photos, many of which have never been seen before with the CDs contained in the front and back covers.

For anyone who wants a lovely momento of one of the world's most gifted singers, and who does not want to acquire her other countless recordings, this is a generously-filled program (25 selections on 29 tracks), with some of her best-ever cuts, in a mid-priced collection. Decca has provided a glowing, lavish, and substantial tribute to one of the greatest singers of all time.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:56 pm

WHAT? Nobody is getting excited about soprano Dame Joan Sutherland's birthday? What a let-down it would be for her if she caught this post. (And she could well do it, too!) If she were here, I'd bake her a cake! Come on, operaphiles ... what do you think about this lovely birthday presentation. Anybody else got a copy?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:19 am

You can have my share, dear Herr Direktor. 8)
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

val

Post by val » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:33 am

Well, Sutherland had a beautiful voice. I saw her on stage in La Traviata and Lucia.

The problem of Sutherland was the "ghost" of Callas. When I listen to Sutherland singing Lucia, Norma, Traviata I remember Callas and that is not good for Sutherland. She doesn't sing worse than Callas, sometimes she sings even better, but the dimension of the characters seems very far regarding what Callas did.
Anyway, one of the great - and most pure - voices of the century.