Haydn's Cello Concertos 1 and 2

hautbois

Haydn's Cello Concertos 1 and 2

Post by hautbois » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:28 pm

The list of records available for these 2 works are overwhelming. Which versions are the best at a reasonable price? Peter Wispelwey seems to appeal to me after a browse in Youtube scored his video of the 2nd concerto. Mischa Maisky's is priced absurd on Arkivmusic but i can find a copy at my local towers at a good price. If i prefer a more virtuoistic grandure HIP sounding record, whose approach would suit me best?

Howard

BorisG

Re: Haydn's Cello Concertos 1 and 2

Post by BorisG » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:17 pm

hautbois wrote:The list of records available for these 2 works are overwhelming. Which versions are the best at a reasonable price? Peter Wispelwey seems to appeal to me after a browse in Youtube scored his video of the 2nd concerto. Mischa Maisky's is priced absurd on Arkivmusic but i can find a copy at my local towers at a good price. If i prefer a more virtuoistic grandure HIP sounding record, whose approach would suit me best?

Howard
Coin with Hogwood or Isserlis with Norrington may suit. They are out of print, but you should be able to find them used.

A more modern Mork with Brown are in print. This is good 2 CD Virgin value, coupling the Haydn Violin Cti. with Tetzlaff and H. Schiff.

Steinway

Post by Steinway » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:47 pm

Mork with Brown is just about perfect, on the 1st Concerto.

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:01 pm

BorisG wrote: Coin with Hogwood or Isserlis with Norrington may suit. They are out of print, but you should be able to find them used.

A more modern Mork with Brown are in print. This is good 2 CD Virgin value, coupling the Haydn Violin Cti. with Tetzlaff and H. Schiff.
One of the things I like about Isserlis is the beautiful, effortless sound he produces from his instrument. It's very transparent and pure.

I have the Mork recordings in a 5-disc set (for the price of 1). I haven't heard the Haydn yet, but I've liked him in a number of other things I've heard, in particular, his recording of the Rachmaninoff Sonata, Op. 19.

John

maskedman

Post by maskedman » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:24 pm

hautbois wrote:The list of records available for these 2 works are overwhelming. Which versions are the best at a reasonable price? Peter Wispelwey seems to appeal to me after a browse in Youtube scored his video of the 2nd concerto. Mischa Maisky's is priced absurd on Arkivmusic but i can find a copy at my local towers at a good price. If i prefer a more virtuoistic grandure HIP sounding record, whose approach would suit me best?

Howard
For these concertos I can't really see how HIP would work. I can suggest a recording of 1 in C. It was always HIP to me. (were not talking Miles Davis here are we)?

DuPre with Barenboim

EMI 47614

Robert