Niccoló Paganini's guitar works

Eetu Pellonpää

Niccoló Paganini's guitar works

Post by Eetu Pellonpää » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:57 pm

Hi! Thought to write something on this subject.

My first encouter with the composer came from a silly film by a lunatic German actor Klaus Kinski, who shot a film by this violinist before his own death. The movie is quite camp trash with some banal humorous scenes, but the composer's name came to my attention again when listenig to the local Classic radio channel in work: There was a very beautiful classical guitar piece being performed and it was stated as a work of Niccoló Paganini, mostly famed by his violin works. I loaned his first opus of violin sonatas from the library, and I must admit that I probably can't evaluate them in very subjective maner as they didin't sound very interesting to my ears. But nevertheless, I luckily found recently one CD full with his compositiojs for mandoline and french guitar, and there were reall gems in this CD. I believe this stuff was composed at the early 19th century among the other activites had in the castle of a noble lady where he dissappeared for several years.

If you have any suggestions for similar material I would value any suggestions higly. I'm also going to check out his violin concertos which I recently loaned from the library.

Gary

Re: Niccoló Paganini's guitar works

Post by Gary » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:32 pm

Eetu Pellonpää wrote: If you have any suggestions for similar material I would value any suggestions higly.
Then you may find Mauro Giuliani's (also Italian and a little over a year older than Paganini) guitar music equally delightful, as it is virtually indistinguishable from Paganini's--at least I find it so.

More information here.

Eetu Pellonpää

Post by Eetu Pellonpää » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:18 am

^Thanks for the recommendation, added it to my fastly growing want-list!

Gary

Post by Gary » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:39 am

Here's a recording (currently out-of-print) that is eminently enjoyable.

1. Gran Duetto Concertante, Op. 52 for Flute and Guitar in A - Mauro Giuliani

2. Duo Concertant, Op. 25 for Violin and Guitar in E Minor - Mauro Giuliani

3. Serenade, Op. 19 for Violin, Violoncello and Guitar in A - Mauro Giuliani

Kazuhito Yamashita, guitar; Joseph Swensen, violin; James Galway, flute; Elizabeth Anderson, violoncello

Label: BMG/RCA Red Seal