Tannhauser

Brendan

Tannhauser

Post by Brendan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:13 pm

Looking through the collection the other day, and not having listened to Wagner for some time, reaching for The Flying Dutchman I noticed that I hadn't a copy of Tannhauser anywhere. I recall hearing the Solti, but if anyone has recommendations for this work, please let me know.

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:29 pm

OK, looks like Tannhauser ain't a popular opera in these parts. :evil: The Solti gets good reviews on Amazon, so I guess it'll do.

bricon

Post by bricon » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:59 pm

The Solti is an excellent recording of the Paris version – maybe the finest of all his (Solti’s) studio Wagner recordings. The recording has a first rate cast and a particularly fine orchestra (VPO). It would definitely be my recommendation for someone’s first (or only) recording of Tannhäuser.

I’m not familiar with too many recordings of the Dresden version – the Konwitschny set on EMI is pretty good at mid-price, but in the end I’d prefer to start with the Solti set.

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:37 am

Thank you. Solti will probably do nicely.

Haydnseek

Post by Haydnseek » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:46 am

Here is the only one I have and I do enjoy it:

http://www.emiclassics.com/releasedetails.php?rid=698
"The law isn't justice. It's a very imperfect mechanism. If you press exactly the right buttons and are also lucky, justice may show up in the answer. A mechanism is all the law was ever intended to be." - Raymond Chandler

Eetu Pellonpää

Post by Eetu Pellonpää » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:21 pm

I have the Deutsche Grammophon version with Sinopoli conducting. I must admit that I was more attracted by the singers Plácido Domingo and Matti Salminen + the record label I have found as a guarrantee of class. I must admit that I havent' compared this to other recordings.

val

Post by val » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:28 am

Tannhäuser is - Rienzi excepted - the only opera of Wagner that I don't like very much. In special the first act.

But the best version I know is the one conducted by Solti, because of the Venus of Christa Ludwig and the acceptable Tannhäuser of Kollo.

Regarding the monologue of the 3rd act, Lauritz Melchior left an extraordinary version.