Edits

ratsrcute

Edits

Post by ratsrcute » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:08 pm

I've been noticing edits recently, in many recordings. Usually there's a major section change in the music, like a huge downbeat after a quiet section. The edit will go right there.

The thing that disturbs me about this is that edits are so obvious when they are placed in a critical boundary of the music. For example, the moment that the trumpets enter with a huge downbeat, or whatever, is a critical moment that must be continuous with the flow of the music.

If it were up to me, I'd place edits in off-boundary places, like the middle of a measure during some music which represents "coasting" or a relaxed transition.

I suppose it's easier, in a sense, to make an edit at a loud entrance... the loud music covers up the hall decay of whatever was going on before. But only in a rather superficial sense. Such an edit still easily destroys the flow the music if it's not done right. In fact, I wonder if most cases present an impossible situation; that is, impossible to make an edit that's not noticeable. That's why I would always put edits in unexpected off-boundary places where they would do less harm even if audible.

Mike