Suggestions/Recommendations?

danield

Suggestions/Recommendations?

Post by danield » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:04 am

Hi all, not sure if you're allowed to do this here, but what the heck.

I've been trying to build up my collection of classical tracks for a while now, I was just looking for some recommendations, as I haven't been able to find too many works in the style I most enjoy.
I am mostly looking for works like Prokofiev's Sonata for Violin and Piano #1, which I love.
I also recently heard Messiaen's 'Amen de la Creation' from 'Visions de l'Amen' which impressed me.
Other composers that I really like are Bartok, Debussy and Kodaly. Though I don't have much Bartok or Kodaly, what I do have I really like.

So basically I'm looking for anything that is a bit dark, discordant, left of centre so to speak. At the moment I'd most like to discover chamber music (I love the simplicity of having only a small number of instruments) but also any orchestral works, or anything at all for that matter, in whatever style that you could recommend would be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot :)

piston

Post by piston » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:34 am

Hello! Nice to hear of your current interest for the music of Debussy, Prokofiev, Messiaen, etc. I am not exactly sure what you mean by "dark and discordant," though, because that does not seem to characterize Debussy's music as well as Bartok's. But assuming that you are mostly into the "modernist" trends of the first half and into the middle of the twentieth century, I offer the following suggestions:

--for string quartets, Dmitri Shostakovich's 15 works. The Borodin Quartet is generally considered a sure bet and, if you can find their 6-CD set on Melodiya, it comes with the string and piano quintet, with S. Richter at the piano;

--Maurice Ravel is Claude Debussy's best match but his music cannot always be viewed as impressionist music. His instrumental music includes a good number of excellent pieces for the piano (e.g., Miroirs, Gaspard de la nuit, Ma mère l'oye, le tombeau de Couperin), a string quartet, two sonatas for violin and piano, an astonishing Tsigane for violin and piano (or orchestra), a trio for violin, 'cello and piano, and a less accessible sonata for violin and 'cello. He also wrote some first-rate orchestral works like his two concertos for piano and orchestra.

I'll stop here. Others on this forum surely will find much more to suggest. :D
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

Sergeant Rock

Re: Suggestions/Recommendations?

Post by Sergeant Rock » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:45 am

danield wrote: I am mostly looking for works like Prokofiev's Sonata for Violin and Piano #1, which I love.
You'll probably like Janáček then. I suggest this recording. The Messiaen and Bartok should please you, too.

Sarge
"My unpretending love's the B flat major by the old Budapest done"---John Berryman, Beethoven Triumphant

Joe Barron

Post by Joe Barron » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:16 pm

Gee, I love making recommendations.

For left-of-center chamber music, I'd recommend three string quartets: No. 2 by Charles Ives, Alban Berg's Lyric Suite, and the No. 1 by Elliott Carter.

Also, if you like Messaien, no collection is complete without the Quartet for the End of Time.

All of them meet the criteria you describe. Welcome aboard, and have fun!

rogch

Post by rogch » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:31 pm

If you like Prokofiev, his piano concertos are a must. They are quite complicated, but when you get to know them you are hooked. The classic set with Vladimir Ashkenazy and Andre Previn is quite cheap. Plenty of masterpieces among his music for solo piano also. Bernd Glemser's recordings on Naxos are very satisfying.

Bela Bartok's string quartets are among the cornerstones of chamber music from the last century. They fit elegantly into two CDs and there are plenty of good recordings: The Takacs quartet, The Emersons, Vegh and many others.
Roger Christensen

"Mozart is the most inaccessible of the great masters"
Artur Schnabel

Fugu

Post by Fugu » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:00 pm

Perhaps some Martinu.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:10 pm

Hindemith, 'Mathis der Mahler' was my initiation into modern classical music. I've listened to it many times since. Then there's the 'Kammermusik'.

Also try Lutoslawski.

Second the Ravel suggestion. Quite a fertile vein. I don't know if Ravel is dark and 'discordant', but you're into orchestral sound and texture more than melody and harmony.

One good way to get into some of these composers - buy inexpensive Naxos CDs - if you find a thread you like then look for other more expensive CDs with compositions by the same composer.

Have you tried any of the minimalist stuff (Reich, Glass, Andriessen)? And Satie might also be your cup of tea. I'd say it was dark, certainly melancholic. Reindert de Leeuw's recording is definitive Satie. But this is not discordant, and totally the opposite of Prokofiev.

danield

Post by danield » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:01 pm

piston wrote: that does not seem to characterize Debussy's music as well as Bartok's.
Yeah sorry, I edited that bit about Debussy, Kodaly & Bartok in after I'd posted, didn't read the post through after doing that:P 1am posting and all, probably not such a great idea.
slofstra wrote:Have you tried any of the minimalist stuff (Reich, Glass, Andriessen)? And Satie might also be your cup of tea. I'd say it was dark, certainly melancholic. Reindert de Leeuw's recording is definitive Satie. But this is not discordant, and totally the opposite of Prokofiev.
I haven't the first count, I have been on the look out for some of Glass's work though. I do have a bit of Satie's piano works.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'll follow them all up, really big thanks for all the responses:D

I'll post here again once I've had a listen to the suggested composer's works and tell you what I think if you want. :)

Thank you all very much again!

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:57 am

Try the music of Allan Pettersson. His complete symphonies on a 12 CD cpo set are on sale now at ArkivMusic. Also, try Gorecki's Third Symphony, Bartok's Bluebeard's Castle, Mahler's Ninth Symphony and the Kindertotenlieder.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

BorisG

Re: Suggestions/Recommendations?

Post by BorisG » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:24 pm

Sergeant Rock wrote:
danield wrote: I am mostly looking for works like Prokofiev's Sonata for Violin and Piano #1, which I love.
You'll probably like Janáček then. I suggest this recording. The Messiaen and Bartok should please you, too.

Sarge
Readily available in an 8 CD boxset.

James

Post by James » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:41 pm

try ligeti's etude no. 13 "the devil's staircase" Oooo spooky...