Pelosi's Unbelievable Ouster of Jane Harman

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Pelosi's Unbelievable Ouster of Jane Harman

Post by Corlyss_D » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:06 am

The silly git can't even persuade or force the CBC to back down so she can remove a crook and an embarrasment from his committee assignment, but she can remove one of the most influential voices of reason in the Democratic party from the Intelligence Committee and replace her with an empty suit like Alcee Hastings, a defrocked federal judge. Yeah, that's real leadership! And these people want more details from the NSA programs shared with them? Incredible. People taking this party seriously on national security matters put the security of all of us at grave risk.

The Washington Times
www.washingtontimes.com
Don't do it, Mrs. Pelosi
Published June 12, 2006

Incomprehensibly, there are reports that House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi has decided to oust fellow Rep. Jane Harman of California in January as the top Democrat on the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. Mrs. Pelosi intends to replace Mrs. Harman in her Intelligence Committee leadership role with Rep. Alcee Hastings of Florida, who, depending upon which party achieves majority status, would either become chairman of the House intelligence panel or its ranking member. Either result would be appalling.

Arguably the least impressive member of the House, Mr. Hastings would become one of only several members of Congress who are statutorily designated to receive the most sensitive intelligence briefings involving the nation's most classified national security secrets.

Mr. Hastings' past should disqualify him from such a position of trust. At the recommendation of a special investigative committee of the federal judiciary, which had concluded that Mr. Hastings, then a U.S. District Court judge, had lied and fabricated evidence to win an acquittal on bribery charges in 1983, the Democrat-controlled House voted 413 to 3 in 1988 to impeach him. Several of the 17 impeachment counts, reported Congressional Quarterly, "alleged that Hastings committed acts of perjury during his 1983 trial." Keeping in mind that Mr. Hastings would be told the most sensitive intelligence secrets, consider the fact that another impeachment count approved by the House "alleged that Hastings leaked information about a wiretap he was supervising and thereby forced a halt to an extensive federal undercover operation in the Miami area in 1985." In 1989, a Democratic-controlled Senate convicted Judge Hastings of accepting a $150,000 bribe in 1981 in exchange for a lenient sentence and committing numerous acts of perjury at his own trial. Once he was booted off the federal court, voters in southern Florida elected him to Congress, after which Mrs. Pelosi -- the quintessential San Francisco Democrat -- appointed him to the House Intelligence Committee.

By contrast, when Mrs. Pelosi became minority leader and vacated her position as ranking Democrat on the intelligence panel, she elevated Mrs. Harman to take her place. Mrs. Harman's serious interest in national defense dates to the late 1970s, when she served as special counsel in the Department of Defense. She remains the ideal candidate to lead the Democrats on the intelligence committee, where she has accumulated six years experience (including the last four as ranking member). She plays a strategically tandem role as an upper-tier minority member of the House Homeland Security Committee, where she serves on three key subcommittees.

It is evidence of Mrs. Pelosi's irresponsibility that she would remove one of her party's most senior legislators on a vital committee for the likes of Mr. Hastings.

Copyright © 2006 News World Communications, Inc.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:48 am

First of all, here's a little vignette as to how Jane Harmon wins elections:

Marcy Winograd Versus Diebold
By davidswanson
Created 2006-06-03 10:10
Michael Shure, Political Correspondent and Regular Guest Host, The Young Turks, sent this disturbing note:

So I just went to vote early since I have to be out of town next Tuesday. My first Diebold experience; and the machine screwed up. I was going through the slate breezily until I got to my congressional primary. It listed Henry Waxman unopposed. I don't live in Waxman's district. So I went up to the table, told them what happened and waited for the results of the mini investigation. A young volunteer came over and canceled my ballot by holding one of the buttons down for an extended period. A few minutes later they started me again and my correct congressional district primary showed up on the screen. Unbelievable. Had I not known, as I am sure many voters don't, who my Rep. was, and what district I live in, I would have been voting for someone else. What makes this curious is that it threw me into a race where Waxman is unopposed, rather than the proper race where Harman is opposed. The places ones mind can go over this stuff....Anyhow, I thought you'd be interested to know..... Hope all is well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source URL:
http://www.democrats.com/node/9112

Although Alcee Hastings is not one of the brightest bulbs in Congress, I consider his appointment good news. Florida has been wracked for years by the scandalous difference in the ways mostly white Cuban refugees are treated and the way black Haitian refugees are treated. The appointment of Alcee Hastings may signal a Democratic determination to correct that imbalance. If so, I applaud his appointment.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:47 am

RebLem wrote:First of all, here's a little vignette as to how Jane Harmon wins elections:

By davidswanson
Michael Shure, Political Correspondent and Regular Guest Host, The Young Turks, sent this disturbing note:

So I just went to vote early since I have to be out of town next Tuesday. My first Diebold experience; and the machine screwed up. I was going through the slate breezily until I got to my congressional primary. It listed Henry Waxman unopposed. I don't live in Waxman's district. So I went up to the table, told them what happened and waited for the results of the mini investigation. A young volunteer came over and canceled my ballot by holding one of the buttons down for an extended period. A few minutes later they started me again and my correct congressional district primary showed up on the screen. Unbelievable. Had I not known, as I am sure many voters don't, who my Rep. was, and what district I live in, I would have been voting for someone else. What makes this curious is that it threw me into a race where Waxman is unopposed, rather than the proper race where Harman is opposed. The places ones mind can go over this stuff....Anyhow, I thought you'd be interested to know..... Hope all is well.
You guys must be more desperate than modern psychology can help you with even if you were in therapy. So one guy not bothering to learn how to use a voting machine means Harman cheats?

You see, Reb, she was supposed to lose her primary for collaborating with the enemy, i.e., the Bush administration. But she didn't. And if she didn't because her constitutency is too dumb to figure out where to vote or how to vote against her, well, a win is a win. But since she didn't lose her primary, much to the embarrassment of Pelosi who backed her opponent, the next best thing is to strip her of her committee assignment. Not the black crook with $90,000 in his freezer and two confessed allies already in the clink. No, they have to get rid of any Democrat that supports the administration's war on terror.
Although Alcee Hastings is not one of the brightest bulbs in Congress, I consider his appointment good news.

:roll: You don't get it, do you? If a federal judge couldn't get away with perjury and receiving bribes, despite his legal education, is either too corrupt or to stupid to be in public life, never mind be appointed to the Intel committee. Whatever he hears on the committee in executive session will be sold to the highest bidder if this travesty is allowed to proceed. The fact that his undemanding constituents in Florida consider it a point of pride to return this disgraced excuse for a representative to Congress time after time is a scarlet mark of their political immaturity, just as the election of Barry Mayor for life was an signal of the District's political immaturity. They both would probably vote for Charles Taylor.
Corlyss

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:21 am

Corlyss_D wrote:
RebLem wrote:First of all, here's a little vignette as to how Jane Harmon wins elections:

By davidswanson

You guys must be more desperate than modern psychology can help you with even if you were in therapy. So one guy not bothering to learn how to use a voting machine means Harman cheats?

You see, Reb, she was supposed to lose her primary for collaborating with the enemy, i.e., the Bush administration. But she didn't. And if she didn't because her constitutency is too dumb to figure out where to vote or how to vote against her, well, a win is a win. But since she didn't lose her primary, much to the embarrassment of Pelosi who backed her opponent, the next best thing is to strip her of her committee assignment. Not the black crook with $90,000 in his freezer and two confessed allies already in the clink. No, they have to get rid of any Democrat that supports the administration's war on terror.
Although Alcee Hastings is not one of the brightest bulbs in Congress, I consider his appointment good news.

:roll: You don't get it, do you? If a federal judge couldn't get away with perjury and receiving bribes, despite his legal education, is either too corrupt or to stupid to be in public life, never mind be appointed to the Intel committee. Whatever he hears on the committee in executive session will be sold to the highest bidder if this travesty is allowed to proceed. The fact that his undemanding constituents in Florida consider it a point of pride to return this disgraced excuse for a representative to Congress time after time is a scarlet mark of their political immaturity, just as the election of Barry Mayor for life was an signal of the District's political immaturity. They both would probably vote for Charles Taylor.
Well, lets see. When its whte folk doing the cheating--like election officials in a white district placing voting machines with the wrong candidate for Congress on the machine in precincts where a vote against the incumbent is expected, well, its voter beware. I would like to hear from some of out non-American members about whether this is the sort of thing that is par for the course in their countries. Roger Christiansen, how about it? Mark Anthony Owen? Anybody else? Americans living abroad, like jbuck, how would you explain this to a local at, say, a Bamberg Symphony intermission if you were asked if this were really true?

Ah, but we have really high standards for black folk, don't we. Oh, dem black folk are so immature. Yesum, they sure are. Well, when white folk countenance what you do in the Harmon election, but insist that black folk toe the line on everything the way YOU see the line, then why shouldn't they tell you to go to hell? Hell, I want to do that, and I'm not even black.
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:49 am

RebLem wrote: Well, lets see. When its whte folk doing the cheating--like election officials in a white district placing voting machines with the wrong candidate for Congress on the machine in precincts where a vote against the incumbent is expected, well, its voter beware.
First of all, one account, on a blog of all places, do not a sample make even in the most screwed up of statistical studies. You be sure and report here if there is an investigation in Harman's district as a result of any credible reports of systematic interference with voters. You guys are living in a dream world with this voter disenfranchisement schtick. Numerous studies by different agencies in the federal government at different times and under different administrations have all found that disenfranchisement as you guys use it is a myth, propoganda.

Second, you really ought to read some of that GAO report to learn whereof you speak, see who was doing the intimidating and where, who was running the fraud schemes. I'll give you a hint: there were about half a dozen references to voter intimidation, most of which resolved into nervous and inexperienced poll workers, but over 60 discussions of voter fraud involving the ballots and the custody of them.

Mass confusion at the polls is endemic, in part because of that swell Democratic invitation to fraud, the motor voter law. Well, you guys got what you wanted: an election system that is so dysfunctional you can go to court in every town, county, and state and have a reasonable chance of prevailing over the Republican every time it's close. Congratulations. In Harman's case, it wasn't even close - 62.5% to 37.5%.
Ah, but we have really high standards for black folk, don't we.
I have high standards of every voter. It's a sacred privilege.
Corlyss

Cosima__J

Post by Cosima__J » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:48 am

To trust such a sleazeball as Hastings with sensitive intelligence information is the height of irresponsiblity. But then, people like Pelosi and Chuckie (give me a microphone) Schumer apparently don't give a damn about their country. It's all about politics all of the time. Let's by all means placate the Black Caucus. It's disgusting things like this that make me despair.

RebLem

Post by RebLem » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:01 am

I think you're the one who's living in a dream world, Corlyss. It is well documented that in many voting places in black neighborhoods in Ohio in 2004, lines were as much as 10 hours long. Partly due to defective machines. Now, I do think that the accusation that this was the result of Republican manipulation is overdone. The squeaky wheel gets the oil, and white folks scream bloody murder when their voting machines screw up and people have to wait in long lines. But election officials know that black people are used to being treated like crap, so the machines that are known to be defective tend to get sent to black neighborhoods. Hell of it is, its not just Republican election officials that do this. Democrats do it, too.

And its not just blacks. Take my own voting place, which is, btw, a Church of God on the nearest corner to my condo complex (one of the churches of Dr. James Dobson's denomination, just for your info, and no, I don't have a problem with that). Two precincts vote at every election where all the polling places are open. In 2004 (and the county clerk is a Democrat, btw) the other precinct never had more than 5 people in line and had 2 machines, and the wait time was always less than 5 minutes. My precinct (#438) had three machines and much more than just a third more people, and the line was much longer. I got in line at 9:52 AM, and left the voting booth after voting at 10:52 AM, exactly an hour later; it took my about 10 minutes from the time I gave my name to the folks at the table to the time I left the voting booth, so the line was about 50 minutes long--and remember, that was mid-morning, which is usually one of the slow times; heavy traffic times are early morning, and anytime after 3 PM, when people start to get off work, with a little spike at lunchtime.

The biggest cheating by Republicans occurs after the polls close, when Diebold and the other voting machine companies, using secret, proprietary, not open source programming, can put out any total they damn well feel like. There were, in many precincts across the country, esp Ohio, marked differences between exit polls and final vote totals. You might say that polling is not that reliable. You would be absolutely, unequivocally wrong. In fact, when the EU and the US both protested the fraudulent election results in Ukraine, this was the principal evidence for the complaint. Apparently, exit polling in Ukraine is a lot more scientific that exit polling in the US, is that the idea, Corlyss? And if its our imagination, why does the GOP everywhere oppose any reform effort to provide a paper trail? Please tell us. We all want to know what kind of story you are going to come up with for that one. We might even take up a collection for a pair of tap shoes, if you'd like.

In fact, when the first vote totals in a South Florida district showed that a local initiative to provide a cushy deal for a local racetrack at taxpayer expense had failed, the voting machine company went over the results with a fine tooth comb and found a little programming eccentricity that had (soo PRIZE, SOO prize) skewed the results. It turned out that the revised vote total showed that the initiative, supported by the local GOP, of course, had passed after all. No such care was taken with any vote total the GOP liked.

However, Corlyss, there is one thing I do agree with you about. Motor Voter, as currently administered, is an abomination. As you know, I used to be a public aid caseworker, and everyone in my job classification got training in registering people to vote. I asked questions which the trainers were unable to answer. Specifically, I frequently interviewed parolees. Illinois is one of the 44 states that no longer permanently disqualifies convicted felons from voting. Two states, Maine and Vermont, allow felons serving sentences to vote while still in prison. The other 42 allow felons either to vote immediately upon release or after their period of parole is completed. I wanted to know which category Illinois was in. I asked this question of the trainers both in our local office and at a central office, and of my supervisors. No one knew whether Illinois allowed people to vote upon release or only upon completion of parole. I was told to give them the benefit of the doubt and register them anyway.

Furthermore, I frequently saw people from various organizations registering people at card tables outside supermarkets and such who never asked anyone for any identification while registering them, which is a clear violation of the law. This, in fact, was the general rule, not the exception.

You might say that the system maximizes vote fraud bv registering ppl who are not eligible, or who may be registered elsewhere. But there is a problem at the other end of the process, too. There was a deadline for turning in the voter registration cards. Our intake administrator was very assiduous about seeing to it that WE did everything right, but she was very lackadaisical about keeping track of the deadline date. The result was that several hundred people who had registered with us in good faith were not allowed to vote because of her malfeasance.

I do agree that Motor Voter needs serious reform and a lot of tightening.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:51 pm

A terrific post, Reb. I'm working on my reply, not ignoring it.
Corlyss