shapenote conspiracy

david johnson

shapenote conspiracy

Post by david johnson » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:45 am

i'll be there again...no doubt i'll see y'all too!?
pretty place, some good eateries in town.
hugh mcgraw is a smithsonian scholar who's fun to learn from.

dj :D
---------------------------------------------------

from the ozark folk center, mtn. view, ar:

Shape Note Gathering

July 6 - 8, 2006

Come and participate or just enjoy the sounds!

Whether you grew up attending Sacred Harp singings, learned to sight read by using a seven-shape system, or are simply curious about what's behind that unusual, appealing shape-note sound, come and attend this new event. You may have recently heard this type of singing in the movie "Cold Mountain". Shape-note singers from different styles, repertoires, and traditions—along with people who have never sung by shapes—will come together for a general session.

Instructors will be Paul Drummond, Gaylon Powell, Danny Creel, Hugh McGraw, Dan Brittain, Chiquita Walls, Laura Boosinger, Charles Whitmer & Charley Sandage.

THURSDAY, JULY 6, 2005
9:00 AM —3:30 PM DR. PAUL DRUMMOND

Workshop for in-service teachers and others interested in the roots, evolution and practice of shape-note singing. (Sanctioned for in-service credit by Arch Ford Educational Cooperative)

7:00—9:00 PM General Singing (All leaders and Styles Present)

FRIDAY, JULY 7

9:30—11:30 AM CHARLEY SANDAGE/CHARLES WHITMER—Introduction
Featured Leaders: GAYLON POWELL (Cooper Sacred Harp)
DANNY CREEL (Christian Harmony)
Others as called upon

1:00—3:30 PM
(or later if singers choose) Featured Leaders: DAN BRITTAIN (Missouri Harmony)
LAURA BOOSINGER (Christian Harmony)
PAUL DRUMMOND (Seven-Shape SATB)
Others as called upon

7:00—9:00 PM Featured Leaders: HUGH MCGRAW (Denson Sacred Harp)
CHIQUITA WALLS (Mississippi Black Traditions)
Others as called upon

SATURDAY, JULY 8

9:30—11:30 AM GAYLON POWELL—Moderator
General Singing (all leaders and Styles Present)

1:00—3:30 pm
(or later if singers choose) GAYLON POWELL—Moderator
General Singing (all leaders and Styles Present)

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:52 am

I don't know anything about this particular festival, but I have spent some time in the vicinity, and I hope you have reserved some time, preferrably about a week, to explore the area either before or after the festival. If you've never been, I think you will find it rewarding.

Mountain View is a small town that is a mix of lifelong locals and retirees from other states. My parents, who lived at the time in Elmhurst, Illinois, visited it once and found there were lots of people from DuPage County, Illinois that they knew who had retired there.

Take Hwy 62 west of Mountain Home. The whole area is dependent on the tourist trade, so they give a little leeway on speed laws. An exception is Yellville (Arkansas also has a Yell County, but Yellville is not in it). Yellville is not a speed trap. The signs are clearly displayed; they're not hidden behind trees. But they do have a strict, no leeway enforcement policy, and the local traffic division is very well staffed. Every time I have gone through Yellville (4-5 times), I have seen at least two motorists pulled over getting ticketed. So if it says 35 MPH, slow to 33 MPH just to be safe.

West of Yellville, you will find a very nice town called Harrison. You enter it from above; it is in a valley, and you get a lovely overview of the town just a mile or so east, coming in. Harrison shows evidence of intelligent design and good planning. The little downtown is thriving, and it sports a picturesque cobblestone street or two. They have a long, narrow, finger lake that looks like a river, with attractive stone bridges over it just south of the CBD. The finger lake curves south as you go west, and it ends just east of a local high school. There is a lakefront park all along the lake, and near the school there is one large parking lot, concentrated in one area; the south part is for school related parking, the north part for park users parking. Very smart planning, it looks like to me. Somebody in this town has a mind.

A little further west is Eureka Springs, a hilly, heavily wooded town of 1900 people that brags that it is the smallest municipality in the US with a public transportation system. It is a touristy town, but you will find that it is a lot more than just a string of tacky curio shops, though there are some of those, too. They really know how to treat tourists with TLC in Eureka Springs, as tourism is the major local business by far. Three facts will establish this:

1)The local bank doesn't charge a fee for you to get cash at their ATMs.

2) Eureka Springs has 53 restaurants, and not a single one of them is part of a national chain. No Burger King, no Mickey D, no KFC; all one of a kind local enterprises, and a wide variety of cuisines, including a basic fine dining place called Autumn Breeze.

3) One of my trips was near the end of the school year, in early May. The town center has a small public space where many teenagers gather after school. Even there, one sees evidence that everyone in town has been thoroughly brainwashed to understand that the Tourist is King. As I was holding my camera and preparing to take a photo of the bandshell there, a pizza-faced, baggy pants teen boy, maybe 15 or so, of the kind that elsewhere in the US is the repository of all human knowledge in the non-Islamic world, ducked in front of my camera as he passed, so as not to obstruct the view in the camera frame!

A wide variety of architectural styles are to be found in the hotels/motels there from log cabin style to German half-timbered manse style, to flatiron style buildings downtown. I suggest going to the local tourist center, taking the 2 hour guided bus tour of the town, and looking at brochures before deciding where to stay. Nearly every place always has vacancies.

To visit the next place, get a good map. Investing in a DeLorme Arkansas Atlas & Gazeteer before the trip is a good idea. Take Rte 23 out of Eureka Springs and head for a little "town" (not incorporated, no post office of their own; the postal address is Rogers, AR, a town further west yet) called War Eagle with maybe 10 houses and the War Eagle Mill.
www.wareaglemill.com/history.htm
The mill sports the only undershot water wheel grist mill west of the Mississippi. Most water wheel mills feed water at the top of the wheel; gravity pushes the wheel, and through it, the grist mill, around. At the War Eagle Mill, the force of the river, not very great, hits the wheel at the bottom, pushing the wheel at a slower rate of speed; the owners claim that this method avoids bruising the grain which they say results from the overshot method.

If you park in the lot on a day when there are few other people there, get out of the car and just walk around outside for a few minutes. You will feel an enormous sense of peace and quiet. The only sounds, if no cars are coming in or going out, will be pre-industrial ones: the sound of the water hitting the wheel on the other side of the building from the parking lot, the quacking of the free-range ducks, the sound of the gravel giving way under your feet. Except for vehicles, you will hear nothing you could not have heard in 1600.

The building itself has three floors open to the public. The top floor is occupied by a breakfast/lunch restaurant called The Bean Palace. The other two sell housewares, cookbooks, grains, food products, patchwork quilts, wicker products, etc. They also have an online store at the above site, if you depart from the history page cited above.

Finally, if you are a fly fisher, go on the web before the trip and study the White River in the area, one of the premiere fresh water fly fishing venues in the US. Do a little fishing if you have the time.

Try to avoid nearby Bentonville. It will just get your upset, if you have a conscience.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:59 am

you have well described mountain home...not mountain view. your trip takes you from baxter county west to washington county.

mountain view, were the festival is, is in stone county, about 30 miles west of batesville (independence county) through the mountains.

dj

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:48 am

:oops: :oops: :? :oops: :oops: :roll: :oops: :oops:

If you're not a fisherman, that may be even better. You can still get up to Harrison, Eureka Springs, and War Eagle Mill without that much additional travel, and without having to go through Yellville. :D

Or, you could go south to Heber Springs, which has its own blandishments. But I would recommend the other way--and don't take the obvious way by going down to Clinton, and up on Hwy 86. Try the byways and the county roads. It is very picturesque country, which is why Arkanasas calls itself, with some justice, "The Natural State."
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.