Critics Should Not Be Comedians,...

dulcinea

Critics Should Not Be Comedians,...

Post by dulcinea » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:00 pm

... and comedians should not be critics. Writing for THE SAN JUAN STAR, Bob Ross--a very snobby jerk who looked down on the plebeian taste of the average Puerto Rican moviegoer--snottily kvetched that he would ask movie distributors in PR if they had the films of INGMAR BERGMAN and LINA WERTMULLER, and they would always reply that they had all the films of INGRID BERGMAN and JOHNNY WEISSMULLER. AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My face still hurts from the wince it made when I read that horrible stab at humor. "Oh, you are so funny, Mr Ross."--I thought--"You are indeed a wit, Mr Ross--a HALF-WIT NITWIT!" :x :x :x
Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord! Alleluya!

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:25 pm

The real questions to be answered here are, "Did this critic actually make these requests?" And, "Is it true that this is the response he got?" If the answer to both questions is yes, you're the one with the problem, dulcinea. If not, then this is a reprehensible statement.

Your more general statement that critics should not be comedians and comedians should not be critics seems to me totally unwarranted. Lots of comedians, like Jon Stewart and Lewis Black, are excellent critics, and a few critics, like Roger Ebert, are occasionally even funny, though I must admit, this if rarer, and much more iffy.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

dulcinea

Post by dulcinea » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:34 pm

[quote="RebLem"]The real questions to be answered here are, "Did this critic actually make these requests?" And, "Is it true that this is the response he got?" If the answer to both questions is yes, you're the one with the problem, dulcinea. If not, then this is a reprehensible statement. Judging from his other columns--which were always full of pedantry about art movies and a supercilious condescension toward all his fellow Puerto Ricans--I would say Ross made up the entire story from whole cloth. Like I said, he was a jerk.
Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord! Alleluya!