Where Have The Rght Wingers Gone?

Lilith

Where Have The Rght Wingers Gone?

Post by Lilith » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:23 pm

I am curious. Where are all the postings from our resident right wingers and supporters - Pizza, Corlyss, Brendan,Kevin etc.
At least Barry responds to threads and questions .... but where are the other combatant posters?
I know they have suffered an election setback, but it doesn't mean their opinions are wrong. How can we have interesting internet bruhahas if the right wingers don't outrage us with their articles from the National Standard and the Jersalem Post? Frankly, I'm disappointed ... I thought they had more staying power.

living_stradivarius

Post by living_stradivarius » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:36 pm

I do think your attempt to provoke certain members here is quite ridiculous and reflects poorly on your behalf, fyi.

Lilith

Post by Lilith » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:38 pm

Thank you.

I don't have a 'behalf'. So you haven't noticed their absence? Do you dislike questions?
Last edited by Lilith on Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry

Post by Barry » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:39 pm

Corlyss' absence is due to a personal situation. She's not ducking an argument. I'm sure none of the others are either.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have a history of just shutting out politics altogether for a number of months after a hotly contested election.

This particular elections is different for me though. For the first time since I've been old enough to vote (my first vote was for Mondale.......I'm ashamed to say at this point), I didn't have a strong rooting interest for either side, so the results brought neither jubilation nor depression (so I'm not so drained like I normally am after an election, most of which have ended in defeat for my candidate). I really wasn't sure who I even wanted to vote for with the exception of the PA governor's race (I love Governor Rendell......a Democrat). I followed the results closely last Tuesday night and was certainly interested in the outcome. I was fairly happy, partially because, as I've said, I don't think it's good for the country when one party dominates all of the levers of government, and partially because I've been rooting for Democrats for so long, that it's not easy to just completely abandon them. Now that they've got one branch of government, I'm simply hoping they'll behave more responsibly with regard to national defense than they have since Vietnam. I'd like to be able to have confidence that Democratic candidates in future elections can be trusted to protect the country. But I don't think that's been the case with a number of their candidates over the past few decades.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Lilith

Post by Lilith » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:42 pm

Well I am glad you are still posting and I must say you express your views well, even if I disagree with those on the Iraq War.

pizza

Post by pizza » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:02 am

This was my 28th federal election. Sorry to disappoint you, but if you think experienced conservatives are unduly concerned over relatively minor sixth-year congressional adjustments occurring during an incumbent president's 8 year term, you're off the wall.

As far as the public mood over Iraq is concerned, Joe Lieberman's reelection as an independent despite the efforts of the liberal political machine to block it in a solid blue state tells me what I need to know.

Lilith

Post by Lilith » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:04 am

"As far as the public mood over Iraq is concerned, Joe Lieberman's reelection as an independent despite the efforts of the liberal political machine to block it in a solid blue state tells me what I need to know"

Which is?

Barry

Post by Barry » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:44 am

Lilith wrote:"As far as the public mood over Iraq is concerned, Joe Lieberman's reelection as an independent despite the efforts of the liberal political machine to block it in a solid blue state tells me what I need to know"

Which is?
For one thing, even one of the most liberal states in the country wouldn't kick out of office a man who has supported the mission in Iraq all along and who doesn't want us cutting and running.

And if the Democrats become known nationally as the party of withdraw, as opposed to adjusting strategy, they'll continue to suffer in future elections as a party that can't be taken seriously to protect the country on matters of national security.
Pizza is right. The election results were right in line with what normally happens in a sixth-year election over the past century. In fact, the Dems may wind up picking up a couple fewer seats than average in the House.

And jumping on Michael Moore's bandwagon would also be doing a nice favor to Republicans.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Lilith

Post by Lilith » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:04 pm

Dear Mr Cut and Run (Barry)

"For one thing, even one of the most liberal states in the country wouldn't kick out of office a man who has supported the mission in Iraq all along and who doesn't want us cutting and running"

-----------------------------
OK - you know what, I'm not even going to argue with you. You got one Senate seat (that is aligned with the Dems anyhow). What you gave up was complete control of the House and Senate. Thats what the Iraq War did to the Repubicans.
So your argument is laughable.

Sapphire

Re: Where Have The Rght Wingers Gone?

Post by Sapphire » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:26 pm

Lilith wrote:I am curious. Where are all the postings from our resident right wingers and supporters - Pizza, Corlyss, Brendan,Kevin etc.
At least Barry responds to threads and questions .... but where are the other combatant posters?
I know they have suffered an election setback, but it doesn't mean their opinions are wrong. How can we have interesting internet bruhahas if the right wingers don't outrage us with their articles from the National Standard and the Jersalem Post? Frankly, I'm disappointed ... I thought they had more staying power.
Lilith

Maybe they are "re-considering their positions", to coin that wonderful phrase. Either that, or too gob-smacked to want to say anything. Or they could be out viewing the Fall.

One thing's for sure: they will be back!

I'd like to know whether any of them feel that the loss of allied forces' lives at 100 per month is acceptable, given the expected gains from continued presense. Some people think that such losses can be cut by increasing numbers of troops. On the other hand, it clearly provides more targets, and could just upset the natives even more so as to strengthen the latter's resolve to resist even harder.

If they can't answer that, could they please provide an indication of just what set of circumstances might trigger their eventual opposition to continued presense, assuming troop mortalities continue unabated.

Saphire

DavidRoss

Post by DavidRoss » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:38 am

I can't answer for the right-wingers, but as a leftist who has been appalled by the Democratic Party for many years I would suspect that many on the right are trying to suppress their glee. For the Democrats to obtain a slender majority in Congress during midterm elections may prove a Godsend for this country. I will be very surprised if the vicious partisanship, petty interest-group politics, hypocritical self-righteousness, and monomaniacal power-mongering of their leadership don't quickly remind most Americans that the Republican Party is still the lesser of two evils.
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

Lilith

Post by Lilith » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:23 am

"the vicious partisanship, petty interest-group politics, hypocritical self-righteousness, and monomaniacal power-mongering "

Sounds like a perfect description of Bush & the Republicans over the last 6 years. Thats why the people voted against them. We shall see what the Democrats do...if they repeat the Republican mistakes, I'm sure they will be voted out in the future.

Agnes Selby
Author of Constanze Mozart's biography

politics

Post by Agnes Selby » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:50 pm

Lilith wrote:"the vicious partisanship, petty interest-group politics, hypocritical self-righteousness, and monomaniacal power-mongering "

Sounds like a perfect description of Bush & the Republicans over the last 6 years. Thats why the people voted against them. We shall see what the Democrats do...if they repeat the Republican mistakes, I'm sure they will be voted out in the future.
----------------

Reading your squabbles, I am reminded of the Australian Parliament.
And imagine this! There is a Parliament in every State. All this
must be most satisfying to al-Qaeda. The old adage, "Divide and Rule",
is working well.
:roll: :P

From Sydney, Australia,
Agnes Selby.
----------------------

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:58 pm

Your mid-term elections are of merely passing interest to me. I comment on stuff I feel like commenting on (usually international or Aussie), and Australian and American politics rarely translates exactly, if at all. Doubt I would be classed as either Dem or GOP over there.

When I'm on holiday, if only for a few days, I do not log on. Too much like work. But if someone's itching for a barney I'm usually good for a few flames back and forth. :twisted:

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:01 pm

And in Australian politics our left-wing state governments are reeling from corruption and multiple child-abuse criminal charges and investigations of ministers.

Alberich

Post by Alberich » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:19 pm

Geeze - there are plenty of right wingers around:

New York Rangers - Jaromir Jagr
New Jersey Devils - Alexei Yashin
Ottawa Senators - Daniel Alfredsson

and so on.

Lilith

Post by Lilith » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:12 pm

"Geeze - there are plenty of right wingers around:

and so on."

:roll:

Dennis Spath

Post by Dennis Spath » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:33 pm

As a retiree for several years, and a C-Span junkie, I'm looking forward to observing how Pelosi and the Dems in the House establish the "Rules" by which the House is run. Anyone who understands how the process was managed (and abused) by Tom DeLay and company should welcome House Rules which treat the Minority (and principled members of their own party) with a reasonable degree of respect. There are more than a few Dem incumbents who would like to give the Repubs a taste of their own medicine, but all Americans will benefit if the Pelosi and the Moderates prevail.
It's good to be back among friends from the past.

Alberich

Post by Alberich » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:01 pm

Well, let's hope the Dems and their Ms Pelosi
do a better PR job than they acomplished with the
Murtha fiasco. Pelosi's first at bat was a three-pitch
strikeout. Amateurish, at best.

Madame

Post by Madame » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:01 am

Lilith wrote:"Geeze - there are plenty of right wingers around:

and so on."

:roll:
:) :) :) It needed to be said :) :) :)

Dennis Spath

Post by Dennis Spath » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:57 pm

From my point of view, Alberich, I look upon the Murtha-Hoyer flap as a good sign rather than a Pelosi missque. It demonstrates an opportunity among Democrats to behave "democratically", in contrast to the House Republicans marching in lockstep to iron-fisted Party rule as with the DeLay model. As stated earlier I look forward to the Dems in the House coming up with far more reasonable House "Rules" for the conduct of the peoples' business. The same is true for a far more effective House Ethics Committee than was our privilege to observe in the last two Congresses.
It's good to be back among friends from the past.