Meet the new boss - same as the old

BWV 1080

Meet the new boss - same as the old

Post by BWV 1080 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:30 am

Below is a summary of an interesting article yesterday in the WSJ about growing resentment in Africa against the Chinese, who apparently could teach 19th century copper bosses a thing or two about exploiting workers:

http://news.mongabay.com/2007/0202-wsj.html
Anti-China movement rises in Africa
mongabay.com
February 2, 2007

Chinese firms doing business in Africa are starting see backlash from their rapid investment expansion on the continent according to an article in today's issue of The Wall Street Journal.

As commodity markets have boomed in recent years, largely due to soaring demand at home, Chinese money has poured into Africa.

"Sino-African trade in 2006 more than quadrupled to more than $55 billion since 2002, and is expected to hit $100 billion by 2010," writes Yaroslav Trofimov, author of the The Wall Street Journal article. "Angola has overtaken Saudi Arabia as China's main source of oil, with large-scale supplies also flowing from Sudan and Nigeria. Chinese companies have sought Guinea's bauxite, Namibia's uranium, and the assortment of rare metals that are found in the Congo, formerly known as Zaire."

Once greeted with open arms, the rush into the world's poorest continent has triggered resentment towards China in some areas according to Trofimov, who writes

Feelings of resentment about China's unfolding scramble for influence in Africa are beginning to bubble up across the continent. African leaders still hail China's burgeoning involvement as a solution to Africa's woes and a welcome alternative to the West. But among ordinary Africans, appreciation of this unprecedented influx of Chinese investments, products and settlers isn't nearly as uniform.

Several high profile incidents, including an accidental explosion followed by shootings of employees at a Chinese mine in Zambia, have triggered animosity among works says Trofimov.

"The Chinese, they don't even consider us to be human beings," Trofimov quotes Albert Mwanaumo, a former Zambian miner who says he was shot by a Chinese supervisor, as saying. "They think they have the right to rule us."

Trofimov continues:

Nowhere has this grass-roots backlash been stronger than in Zambia. In elections last fall, opposition leader Michael Sata ran for president on a platform of outright China-bashing, unleashing against Beijing the same kind of fury that populist radicals in Latin America or the Middle East direct at the U.S. "Zambia is becoming a province -- no, a district -- of China," he thundered. "We've removed one foreign power and we don't want another foreign power here, especially one that is not a democracy."

"Among ordinary people, a very strong resentment, bordering on racism, is emerging against the Chinese," says Henning Melber, a former activist in Namibia's struggle for majority rule who now heads the Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation think tank in Sweden. "It's because the Chinese are seen as backing the [African] governments in oppressing their own people."

n Zambia, a landlocked country of 11.5 million, the main draw for China is copper -- and the recent outcry is rooted in the tragic events that followed China's investment at the mine in Chambishi. China Non-Ferrous Metal Mining purchased the mine, which had been shuttered since 1987, for $20 million. It stepped forward after a Canadian company that had initially won the tender pulled out of the deal. Investing more than $100 million in the property, the Chinese conglomerate's Zambian unit, called NFC Africa Mining PLC, restarted production in late 2001, ramping up output to reach 50,000 metric tons of copper concentrate last year.

Dozens of Chinese managers and supervisors settled in the township, a maze of trash-strewn dirt alleys set across the paved road from the mine. Inside the mine itself, a red Chinese flag was hoisted above a wall covered with inspirational words of Wu Bangguo, chairman of the standing committee of the National People's Congress: "To Rouse Yourself in Vigorous Efforts to Make the Company Prosperous!"

As part of its prosperity plan, the mine's management paid Zambian employees less than the minimum wage, currently $67 a month, and strictly prohibited union activity, according to employees and union officials. A 2004 memo to staff, which still hangs inside NFC Africa offices, warned of "severe punishment" for anyone attending meetings of the "so-called action group [of union organizers], which is illegal." People suspected of union involvement were fired on the spot, says Gillian Mubanga, the current union leader at the mine.

(the full article on the WSJ website requires a subscription, but I found it posted here:

http://www.moneyweb.co.za/shares/intern ... 609667.htm

Gary

Re: Meet the new boss - same as the old

Post by Gary » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:42 am

BWV 1080 wrote:"We've removed one foreign power and we don't want another foreign power here, especially one that is not a democracy."
What an ironic statement! When has exploitation ever been less than totalitarian?

burnitdown

Post by burnitdown » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:02 pm

Gary wrote:When has exploitation ever been less than totalitarian?
Most of it seems to happen under liberal democratic regimes hellbent on their god-given right to increase material wealth.

Totalitarian is a very specific meaning and, interestingly, they seemed to be unwilling to perpetrate abuses in Africa.

About the article: ah, multiculturalism failing as always. LOL

Gary

Post by Gary » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:42 am

burnitdown wrote:
Gary wrote:When has exploitation ever been less than totalitarian?
Most of it seems to happen under liberal democratic regimes hellbent on their god-given right to increase material wealth.
That's kind of my point. It doesn't matter who's doing the exploiting--bad either way. It beats me why Mr. Trofimov has a preference.