Other musical tastes

Odysseus

Other musical tastes

Post by Odysseus » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:14 am

I was wondering what other musical genres people enjoy on top of their classical taste.

I like to think that I have a very varied musical taste, although I am usually quite sure on what I do and do like. When I first listen to a song/band/genre I usually either like the style and put it on my list for investigating, or I'll find no pleasure in listening to it at all and make a note to avoid it and similar styles in the future. It seems to just be the way I work :)

Classical music is not my favourite style of music, though it certainly fits its purpose within my musical taste.

I think that some of the other bands/artists/genres I listen to that are not classical tend to make some strange combinations. For example, I'm quite fond of a lot of extreme metal, and it's actually surprising some of the links with classical music that you can find in such a seemingly opposite genre.

Necrophagist, for example are a technical death metal band, yet despite the extremely different sound they produce, there are a lot of classical influences in the music. On their track "Only Ash Remains", the end section features a guitar reconstruction of Prokofiev's "Dance of the Knights". Dark Moor, a Progressive/Power metal band cover Winter from Vivaldi's Four Seasons (this track is actually available on the link). As well as some of the more obvious links, the technicality bands such as Necrophagist, Rhapsody, the traditional hummpa-influence on bands like Finntroll and the combination of sheer technical proficieny and classical training shown by Michael Romeo's Symphony X (not to mention the fact that they have a whole album, including a 25 minute epic song devoted to one of my personal favourites - the odyssey :D ) all show influences from classical music of different varieties.

I would highly reccomend buying The Odyessey by Symphony X, as the track itself is impeccable, with everything from long symphonic instrumentals, to electric guitar solos, to accoustic guitar sections and soothing vocals. I would have been happy paying out for just that track alone, never mind the rest of the album.

On top of that, there are bands which show much less of an influence from classical music, and in some cases I'm even tempted to even say none :lol: .

I've always wondered how those who appreciate classical music would take to ambient, post-rock and drone. Although they are not particularly in the same vein as classical music through musical proficiency or technicality, in my opinion they take the same sort of ear to appreciate them, and also work on the principle of expressing emotion through music (although I'm tempted to say that is the purpose of most, if not all music). For example, I have yet to find a band which arouses emotion in me as much as Sigur Ros, and if you haven't heard of them I would strongly recommend watching the video to either Vaka or Vidrar vel til Loftarasa, both conveying an extremely powerful message. Or if you are in the mood for something lighter, I would suggest Hoppípolla, though I would watch all 3 if you have the time :)

Also, I listen to a suprising amount of music by Japanese game composers such as Koji Kondo and Nobuo Uematsu, as well as other japanese composers such as Toshiro Masuda (spot the influence :lol: ) and something a bit different in the form of Yoko Kanno.

Some things which may be less well appreciated by the users of this board, but which constitute some of my musical taste non-the-less include grime such as Hadouken!, house such as Bodyrox, drum 'n' bass such as Pendulum, electronica such as Daft Punk, deathcore such as Bring Me The Horizon and last but not least, Black Metal such as Beherit

Finally, I would reccommend Clarelyyn Rose, an extremely talented, yet (unfortunately) fairly unknown accoustic guitarist. Great music for meditation or relaxation, and her albums are relatively cheap on iTunes (compared to how much a classical CD would cost :wink: )

So that pretty much summarises my fairly strange music taste, and if anyone goes away with one new genre or band or artist that they are interested in then my goal has been achieved. Similarly, I'd like to gain some new additions to my collection if anyone has any reccomendations - anything but classical - that can be discussed in the classical forum :wink:

Also, I'd like to know whether anyone else listens to music which starkly contrasts with their classical tastes, and whether it seems unusual to them or others. Just take a listen to "The Gates of Nanna" on the Beherit page, then listen to some Schubert or Beethoven and it sometimes makes me wonder how you can appreciate both at the same time. Although similarly, that track followed by Verdi's Requiem and you can appreciate how it takes a certain ear to appreciate the vocal styles in both.

All in all... just enjoy, there's a lot there that I'm sure there's SOMETHING there which someone will take to, if they aren't a fan of some of it already. I await recommendations from other users aswell :)
--Oddyseus

...oh, and this thread also serves a double-purpose of proving that MySpace can be useful for more than just a place for pre-teens to waste time and squander their youth away :lol:

Harold Tucker

Post by Harold Tucker » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:02 am

Try reading this topic:
So what music do you guys like besides classical?
Anyhow, this isn't MY SPACE . At least it wasn't when I joined.

Odysseus

Post by Odysseus » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:21 am

I meant all the links to music profiles, referring to the myspace reference :lol:

burnitdown

Post by burnitdown » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:10 pm

Try Vaesen, Swedish traditional folk.

Necrophagist... sorry, can't be with you on that one.

BWV 1080

Post by BWV 1080 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:56 pm

Right now its:

Fantomas
Meshuggah
Konono #1
Ali Farka Toure
Sepultura
Wayne Shorter
Dalek
Painkiller