How About Some No Politics, Just Patriotic Music?

Locked
Ralph
Dittersdorf Specialist & CMG NY Host
Posts: 20996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Paradise on Earth, New York, NY

How About Some No Politics, Just Patriotic Music?

Post by Ralph » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:14 pm

Image

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

RebLem
Posts: 8724
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 1:06 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.
Contact:

Post by RebLem » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:21 am

This week I am starting to listen to my 5 CD Naxos series of music by John Philip Sousa recorded by Keith Brion and the Rpyal Artillery Band. I listened to most of Vol 1 today. Look next Sunday in the "What are you listening to?" thread.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

burnitdown
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:15 am
Contact:

Post by burnitdown » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:27 am

"Patriotic music" is political...

anasazi
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:49 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Post by anasazi » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:51 am

burnitdown wrote:"Patriotic music" is political...
I think it's always nationalistic, but not always political. Although I do realize many people use the term 'political' anymore to mean nationalistic.
"Take only pictures, leave only footprints" - John Muir.

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 25570
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Post by jbuck919 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:11 am

burnitdown wrote:"Patriotic music" is political...
If so, then the United States has a lot to be political about.

I notice that there is no rendition of one of my favorites, "America the Beautiful." (Maybe just as well since I don't care much for pop versions of these things, and yes, I did notice the exceptions.) This beatiful anthem is almost entirely in the subjunctive, having the ring of "may it be so."

America the Beautiful (abridged)
Words by Katharine Lee Bates,
Melody by Samuel Ward

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet
Whose stern impassioned stress
A thoroughfare of freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for glory-tale
Of liberating strife
When once and twice,
for man's avail
Men lavished precious life!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
Till selfish gain no longer stain
The banner of the free!

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Ralph
Dittersdorf Specialist & CMG NY Host
Posts: 20996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Paradise on Earth, New York, NY

Post by Ralph » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:05 am

RebLem wrote:This week I am starting to listen to my 5 CD Naxos series of music by John Philip Sousa recorded by Keith Brion and the Rpyal Artillery Band. I listened to most of Vol 1 today. Look next Sunday in the "What are you listening to?" thread.
*****

Those are fine performances - I bought the CDs singly as they came out.
Image

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

burnitdown
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:15 am
Contact:

Post by burnitdown » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:34 pm

anasazi wrote:
burnitdown wrote:"Patriotic music" is political...
I think it's always nationalistic, but not always political. Although I do realize many people use the term 'political' anymore to mean nationalistic.
Do you mean patriotic instead of nationalistic?

http://www.pan-nationalism.org/

Nationalism is something else...

anasazi
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:49 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Post by anasazi » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:57 am

jbuck919 wrote:
burnitdown wrote:"Patriotic music" is political...
If so, then the United States has a lot to be political about.

I notice that there is no rendition of one of my favorites, "America the Beautiful." (Maybe just as well since I don't care much for pop versions of these things, and yes, I did notice the exceptions.) This beatiful anthem is almost entirely in the subjunctive, having the ring of "may it be so."

America the Beautiful (abridged)
Words by Katharine Lee Bates,
Melody by Samuel Ward

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet
Whose stern impassioned stress
A thoroughfare of freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for glory-tale
Of liberating strife
When once and twice,
for man's avail
Men lavished precious life!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
Till selfish gain no longer stain
The banner of the free!
It cannot be repeated often enough. I'm not one of those wanting to toss the Star Spangled Banner as our national anthem, but if I did, it would be for this one. The line 'thy liberty in law', that is pretty fine I think. I can recommend a good recording. The Boston Pops, conducted by Williams.
I believe the arrangement was written by Alexander Courage. Very Nice.
"Take only pictures, leave only footprints" - John Muir.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest