I Need Your Recommendation...

dulcinea

Post by dulcinea » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:00 pm

... of Macmillan's SEVEN LAST WORDS FROM THE CROSS. Does it have an orchestra and solo singers? If it is an a cappella piece I'm not interested; there is no worse SADISM and BRUTALITY inflicted on musical sensibility than that of unaccompanied choral neighing, baying and wailing.
Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord! Alleluya!

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Re: I Need Your Recommendation...

Post by Corlyss_D » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:42 pm

dulcinea wrote:If it is an a cappella piece I'm not interested; there is no worse SADISM and BRUTALITY inflicted on musical sensibility than that of unaccompanied choral neighing, baying and wailing.
De gustibus, but I wonder if you've ever heard Palestrina or Victoria or just about any Tallis Scholars' discs?
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:26 pm

I've never really thought of Bruckner's 2nd Mass as "unaccompanied choral neighing, baying and wailing."

MacMillan's work is for choir and string orchestra. Best rec is probably with Stephen Layton and the Britten Sinfonia (that's the one I've got, anyway).

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:22 am

'there is no worse SADISM and BRUTALITY inflicted on musical sensibility than that of unaccompanied choral neighing, baying and wailing.'

chuckle. heard something you didn't like? what was it?

dj

dulcinea

Post by dulcinea » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:08 am

david johnson wrote:'there is no worse SADISM and BRUTALITY inflicted on musical sensibility than that of unaccompanied choral neighing, baying and wailing.'

chuckle. heard something you didn't like? what was it?

dj
The appallingly incompetent and tone-deaf church choirs of my youth screeching such hellish blasphemies as FARTHER, MY GOD, FROM THEE and ONWARD, UNCHRISTIAN SOLDIERS. Such unspeakable torment forever disabused me of any foolish notions about the ability of vocal choirs to fend for themselves without the aid and support of choruses of strings, winds, brass and percussion. In fact, if it weren't for the yearly TV Christmas productions of MESSIAH, I would have ended up not liking any choral music at all.

dulcinea

Post by dulcinea » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:01 am

Bland, flabby, namby-pamby religious mush such as the sissy REQUIEM of milksop Gabriel Faure--which doesn't even have the DIES IRAE--is the most offensive and profane of blasphemies. I like my religious music to be BOLD--to be ENERGETIC--to be DYNAMIC--to be POWERFUL--to be MUSCULAR and STRONG and HAVE HAIR IN ITS CHEST, such as in the oratorios of Handel and Haydn and the MISSA SOLEMNIS, opus 123. I love THE HIGH MASS of Sandstrom, a magnificent piece that would likely have earned the enthusiastic approval of Bach, Handel, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert and Bruckner; which others like it would you recommend to me?

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:10 pm

dulcinea wrote:I like my religious music to be BOLD--to be ENERGETIC--to be DYNAMIC--to be POWERFUL--to be MUSCULAR and STRONG and HAVE HAIR IN ITS CHEST,
Mmmmm. Methinks that sublety is not in your kit.

I don't think I could recommend anything.
Corlyss

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:28 pm

Corlyss_D wrote:
dulcinea wrote:I like my religious music to be BOLD--to be ENERGETIC--to be DYNAMIC--to be POWERFUL--to be MUSCULAR and STRONG and HAVE HAIR IN ITS CHEST,

Certainly could not recommed Henning 8)

Cheers,
~Karl
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

Mark Antony Owen

Post by Mark Antony Owen » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:23 pm

This thread has me so incensed that I'm putting on some Magalhaes immediately ... :wink:
"Neti, neti."

Formerly known as 'shadowritten'.

PJME

Shocking! shocking!

Post by PJME » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:49 pm

SADISM and BRUTALITY
choral music really hurts you....it must have been a traumatical experience that caused such fervent dislike! And I'm totaly shocked and surprised - again!! How is it possible!?
Too bad - you're missing a lot of superb music.

II can only repeat my former remarks...: a capella choral works are often of the highest order.
Singing = like the breath of life, the most intimate expression of the human soul,sincerity,truth,emotion,clarity & mystery....Since the human voice is such an" intimate instrument" ,so directly part of ourselves, it makes it easier to appreciate music ..for me.

Here are - again & again - a few composers who wrote very well for chorus or chorus /instruments: Benjamin Britten, Ralph vaughan Wiliams, Albert Roussel, Heitor Villa Lobos,Johannes Brahms,Arthur Honegger,Frank Martin.
And the incredible wealth of renaissance & baroque works - from Spanish Insaladas,Bolivian vilancicos and French complaintes to Flemish peasant songs, British anthems and Polish noels....Bach.

Only once in my life I really felt unconfortable in listening to music : Wagner ( probably Tristan und Isolde...?) sung in French (César Vezzani (Tenor); Germaine Lubin (Soprano) - I do acknowledge Wagner's genius, but I sincerely dislike his music ....A "historical" French performance is absolutely horrible - I ran out of the shop were the Cd was playing...

dulcinea

Post by dulcinea » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:30 pm

Corlyss_D wrote:

Don't underestimate yourself. Try me.

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:14 am

You didn't mention Carmina Burana, so give that a whirl. I like Jochum's recording, but there are plenty out there.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:55 am

dulcinea wrote:
Corlyss_D wrote:

Don't underestimate yourself. Try me.
Don't think so. I like the Faure. Our tastes are incompatible on this topic.
Corlyss

Jack Kelso

Post by Jack Kelso » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:02 am

dulcinea wrote:Bland, flabby, namby-pamby religious mush such as the sissy REQUIEM of milksop Gabriel Faure--which doesn't even have the DIES IRAE--is the most offensive and profane of blasphemies. I like my religious music to be BOLD--to be ENERGETIC--to be DYNAMIC--to be POWERFUL--to be MUSCULAR and STRONG and HAVE HAIR IN ITS CHEST, such as in the oratorios of Handel and Haydn and the MISSA SOLEMNIS, opus 123. I love THE HIGH MASS of Sandstrom, a magnificent piece that would likely have earned the enthusiastic approval of Bach, Handel, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert and Bruckner; which others like it would you recommend to me?
From what you describe (muscular, strong)---choral music you'd like, I cannot help but recommend STRONGLY to you the Berlioz "Requiem", opus 5. Now THAT work should be exactly "your cup of tea"!

Jack
"Schumann's our music-maker now." ---Robert Browning

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:36 am

dulcinea:

would you like some rough sacred a cappella music, often a little on the dark side? i have some in mind.

dj

dulcinea

Post by dulcinea » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:53 am

david johnson wrote:dulcinea:

would you like some rough sacred a cappella music, often a little on the dark side? i have some in mind.

dj
As long as it's not maudlingly sentimental, I'm interested. And going back to the Macmillan, does it compare well to Haydn's SEVEN LAST WORDS OF OUR SAVIOR ON THE CROSS?

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:08 am

Mark Antony Owen wrote:This thread has me so incensed that I'm putting on some Magalhaes immediately ... :wink:
I applaud you, sir! :-)
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/