Todays Purchases

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:04 pm

Well, as a fervent GRIEG collector, I must say Saturday's been a red-letter day for me......'cuz I picked up a 78 set of Sevitzky doing the Symphonic Dances, Op.64. I searched many a venue for a decent-condition copy (others I saw had one or more discs broken). And the 50s LP reissue's like the proverbial haystack needle. I'll put this one on CD as soon as I can.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:25 pm

Brahms: Hungarian Dances 1-21
Budapest Symphony Orchestra
Istvan Bogar

This particular disc was given the highest rating by the Penguin Guide, so when I stumbled across it at my neighbourhood record store last night I decided to pick it up. After only one listen, I can already tell that it will be one of my favourite Naxos discs!
Du sollst schlechte Compositionen weder spielen, noch, wenn du nicht dazu gezwungen bist, sie anhören.

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:46 am

Mark Antony Owen wrote:
RebLem wrote:On 18 MAY, I emailed my first order to Castle Classics in Scotland. It just arrived yesterday, Monday 5 JUN 2006: the 12 CD Chandos set of the Mahler Symphonies conducted by Leif Segerstam (Castle appears to be one of the few sources that still has this available) and The Quarteto Casals CD of the 3 Arriaga SQs. It was 98.46 pounds, without VAT, of course, which, as it turned out, worked out to a charge of $185.40 on my credit card, plus a modest $1.85 foreign transaction fee finance charge.
RebLem, I'm on good terms with Shaun, the Castle Classics' owner and MD. He's incredibly helpful, and I hope you had a great service from his business. I know stuff can take a while to arrive - it does here in the UK, too - but nothing's ever too much trouble with Shaun, and he'll always email you with a comprehensive answer if you pose a question.
Why don't you just shorten your name to your initials? MAO is, well, sort of catchy, you know. :shock: :P :shock:
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Harvested Sorrow

Post by Harvested Sorrow » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:09 pm

Wallingford wrote:Well, as a fervent GRIEG collector, I must say Saturday's been a red-letter day for me......'cuz I picked up a 78 set of Sevitzky doing the Symphonic Dances, Op.64. I searched many a venue for a decent-condition copy (others I saw had one or more discs broken). And the 50s LP reissue's like the proverbial haystack needle. I'll put this one on CD as soon as I can.
Have you heard the Brilliant Classics set of Grieg's chamber music?

Mark Antony Owen

Post by Mark Antony Owen » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:24 pm

RebLem wrote:
Mark Antony Owen wrote:
RebLem wrote:On 18 MAY, I emailed my first order to Castle Classics in Scotland. It just arrived yesterday, Monday 5 JUN 2006: the 12 CD Chandos set of the Mahler Symphonies conducted by Leif Segerstam (Castle appears to be one of the few sources that still has this available) and The Quarteto Casals CD of the 3 Arriaga SQs. It was 98.46 pounds, without VAT, of course, which, as it turned out, worked out to a charge of $185.40 on my credit card, plus a modest $1.85 foreign transaction fee finance charge.
RebLem, I'm on good terms with Shaun, the Castle Classics' owner and MD. He's incredibly helpful, and I hope you had a great service from his business. I know stuff can take a while to arrive - it does here in the UK, too - but nothing's ever too much trouble with Shaun, and he'll always email you with a comprehensive answer if you pose a question.
Why don't you just shorten your name to your initials? MAO is, well, sort of catchy, you know. :shock: :P :shock:
Well, I thought about it. But then, I'd be a county in Ireland ... :lol:
"Neti, neti."

Formerly known as 'shadowritten'.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:16 pm

RebLem wrote:
Would he be required to (shadow) write a little red book?

Mark Antony Owen

Post by Mark Antony Owen » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:18 pm

Anonymous wrote:
RebLem wrote:
Would he be required to (shadow) write a little red book?
Ooh, now you've lost me?
"Neti, neti."

Gary

Post by Gary » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:23 pm

"Your idea of a donut-shaped universe intrigues me, Homer; I may have to steal it."

--Stephen Hawking makes guest appearance on The Simpsons

Mark Antony Owen

Post by Mark Antony Owen » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:47 pm

Gary wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotations ... Mao_Zedong

P.S. How did I turn into a guest?
Ah! With you. Guest ( :lol: )
"Neti, neti."

Gary

Post by Gary » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:10 pm

I'm not to be confused with a few other 'guest' posters that have popped up today. Apparently, something has happened to this site, which now allows you to post without having to sign in--hence as a guest.
"Your idea of a donut-shaped universe intrigues me, Homer; I may have to steal it."

--Stephen Hawking makes guest appearance on The Simpsons

ch1525

Post by ch1525 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:28 am

I found a crazy deal on Amazon totally by accident.

I got this Wagner set new for $9.77 from a 3rd party seller:

I was a little bit skeptical, but it came today and it really is new and in perfect condition. Wow! No libretto, but great recordings!

Ken

Post by Ken » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:08 pm

I picked this up last weekend. The quality of the remastering is remarkable:

Du sollst schlechte Compositionen weder spielen, noch, wenn du nicht dazu gezwungen bist, sie anhören.

paulb

Post by paulb » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:26 pm

Welp the new release of Prokofiev's syms/Gergiev/London SO arrived yesterday. I have my set up for sale at amazon, for $30.
I'm sticking with my all time fav/Kuchar/Ukraine.
Yes even over the Muti/Philadelphia.
eah I see all the raving reviews on the Gergiev/London. I'm about to put my 2 cents over there. I expect 0/10 give my 2 cent review a NO vote.
Which is in about in line with all my reviews. I think I have like 80 reviews, and my vote count is something like 1000 folks gave me a NO vote and 10 a yes vote.
Which tells me I'm doing my job. Just call me the hype-buster:-)
Psalm 118:22 The Stone that the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone.
23 This is the Lord's doing , it is marvelous in our sight.

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:23 am

saturday past i purchased -

a dg two-fer of wagner preludes (mostly bohm)
dorati/lso '5' album (five pieces by schoenberg, webern, some berg)
serkin/beethoven pno con 1 & 3 w/ormandy & bernstein

dj

paulb

Post by paulb » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:54 am

david johnson wrote:saturday past i purchased -

dorati/lso '5' album (five pieces by schoenberg, webern, some berg)

dj
In its day, 60's, a fine recording. But now has been surpassed.

Also would like to mention my comments on the new release, May,2006, of Gergiev's recordings of the complete Prokofiev syms with the London Sym Orch can be read on amazon.
I just sold my set in one day at $30. Man that was a fast sell. The Prokofiev fans are dying to hear the set. They've been complaining for yrs "not enough good prokofiev avaliable' Well they'll have to wait some more.....Or they can pull the plugs out their ears and find tremendous Prokofiev in the Kuchar/Ukraine, my favorite set of many That I've heard.
From Samosud to Rozhdestevnsky, I'm heard em all. Kuchar ranks as my only complete with Gergiev/USSR in the 2nd and Kitaenko/USSR in the 5th as keepers. But even Kitaenko/USSR is borderline at times.
Please feel free to give my review a read and post a comment here.
Thanks.
Psalm 118:22 The Stone that the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone.

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:35 am

surpassed? do you mean the recording technique or the performance?
i like the sound of most of the old mercury 'hits'.

dj

paulb

Post by paulb » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:06 pm

david johnson wrote:surpassed? do you mean the recording technique or the performance?
i like the sound of most of the old mercury 'hits'.

dj
In terms of getting at all the subilities in Schonberg with proper phrasing...well at least to my ears the Dorati has been surpassed.
I collect Schonberg and have some suggestions. But will have to wait for later. Boulez/Sony as starters.
The sound on the Mercury is good.

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:21 pm

paulb wrote:I think I have like 80 reviews, and my vote count is something like 1000 folks gave me a NO vote and 10 a yes vote.
Which tells me I'm doing my job.
Or you're nearly completely wrong :-)

Cheers,
~Karl
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

paulb

Post by paulb » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:22 pm

karlhenning wrote:
paulb wrote:I think I have like 80 reviews, and my vote count is something like 1000 folks gave me a NO vote and 10 a yes vote.
Which tells me I'm doing my job.
Or you're nearly completely wrong :-)

Cheers,
~Karl
"nearly completely" :shock:

Karl you ought to know me well by now. I rather being against the popular vote. I need to speak as I know.
How is that wrong.
besides those voting buttoms are quite a joke. You know the Inet is full of folks with nothing better to do.
I've never tickled ears before and not going to start now.
My opinion on the Gergiev satnds, 3 of 5 stars. And thats being generous. Actually I'd give 4 to Gergiev and 2 to the London SO. A orch not cut out for Prokofiev. They should stick to what they do best, Vaughan Williams.
Nice Day

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:42 pm

paulb wrote:Karl you ought to know me well by now. I rather being against the popular vote.
And yet, mon vieux, I see also something which is clearly a popular position:
Mozart was the greatest.
:-)
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:50 pm

Actually, Paul, I think I've heard an LSO recording of the Prokofiev Third which I like a great deal. So I don't find them "an orchestra not cut out for Prokofiev," at all. I'm afraid I'm not tickling your ear much today :-)

Cheers, mon ami!
~Karl
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts

paulb

Post by paulb » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:52 pm

karlhenning wrote:
paulb wrote:Karl you ought to know me well by now. I rather being against the popular vote.
And yet, mon vieux, I see also something which is clearly a popular position:
Mozart was the greatest.
:-)
I put that signature for no other reason that to get at the Beethoven fanatics. Those who hail lauds of praise on Beethoven at every chance.

Should read :" I rather enjoy being in the position as against the popluar vote".
It just falls that way, no doing on my own. Its good to find oneself, and not follow a crowd.

paulb

Post by paulb » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:00 pm

karlhenning wrote:Actually, Paul, I think I've heard an LSO recording of the Prokofiev Third which I like a great deal. So I don't find them "an orchestra not cut out for Prokofiev," at all. I'm afraid I'm not tickling your ear much today :-)

Cheers, mon ami!
~Karl
I was surprised to see a response on my post at gramophone's forum from Harmsworth saying, "Not surprised at your opinion, since if I recall correctly, none of the critics thought much of the performances either". I re-phrased Harms comments to read more clearly.
Harms further says in his reply to my post,
"Only "The Guardian" seems to have dissented from the welter of hype".
Notice Harmsworth puts the guardian in parentheses. A Guard is suppose to protect against hype, not add to it.
There, I've got bonifide llondon critics on my side.
Top that. My ears work perfectly fine.I only bought the Gergiev to fulfill my duty of a couch critic.
I only lost out on $10, a small price to get my opinion out.
ask me about prokofiev recordings. But not on Bruckner, Mahler, Beethoven , others.. These I know nothing about.
Debussy, Ravel I can tell you about.

premont

Post by premont » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:07 pm

paulb wrote: Mozart was the greatest.

I put that signature for no other reason that to get at the Beethoven fanatics. Those who hail lauds of praise on Beethoven at every chance.
So actually you don´t think Mozart is the greatest? You just say so.

I think Beethoven is greater than Mozart (if this makes any sense at all), and I think so not because my neighbour thinks so, or because someone on this board makes an honour of saying, that Mozart is greater than Beethoven, but I think so because Beethoven speaks quite a lot more to me as a human being, than Mozart does.

paulb

Post by paulb » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:45 pm

premont wrote:
paulb wrote: Mozart was the greatest.

So actually you don´t think Mozart is the greatest? You just say so.

I think Beethoven is greater than Mozart (if this makes any sense at all), and I think so not because my neighbour thinks so, or because someone on this board makes an honour of saying, that Mozart is greater than Beethoven, but I think so because Beethoven speaks quite a lot more to me as a human being, than Mozart does.
Premont you show an important point.Which is that classical music is one of our most important aspects to life. Family(pets), health, friends, good books, and also classical music is among this core values in our life. .
Its good to feel strongly about a composer. Something which many around the world do not know.
What would we all be withour classical music, and those composers we love? Has anyone stopped to think about that?
Glad to know you have a deep commitment to Beethoven as i do to Mozart.
(I own no Beethoven recordings, have no intentions either, when he comes on the radio, I turn it off)

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:53 am

paulb wrote:Its good to find oneself, and not follow a crowd.
No argument there. But in many ways, in being true to ourselves, we often find that there are others who think similarly.

The idea that one can be entirely unique, is a peculiar illusion.

I expect, Paul, that in no one respect am I completely unique, but in the tout ensemble, I am unique indeed.

Cheers,
~Karl
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts

Fugu

Post by Fugu » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Early this week Kitajenko's Shostakovich box on SACD is coming my way via amazon.de

Looking forward to that!

Also bought Tilson-Thomas' Mahler 4 on SACD but haven't listened to it yet.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:52 am

My latest purchase: Georges Cziffra playing ten of the Liszt Hungarian Rhapsodies. It's in my car CD player, and I listen to one each day on the way to work. I've listened to five so far, and each one is a gem. Cziffra was the ideal pianist for this music--an incredible technique, an authentic feel for the Hungarian flavor, and a full palette of fire and poetry.

And what about the music? One member of our group dismissed Liszt for his "decorative note spinning." True, the Hungarian Rhapsodies do not have the intellectual depth or spiritual substance of some other Liszt works, but for inventiveness, pianistic display, and sheer enjoyment, these pieces are among my favorites of the piano literature.

Lark Ascending

Post by Lark Ascending » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:19 pm

Vaughan Williams: Film Music (The 49th Parallel, The Dim Little Island and The England of Elizabeth)

I also purchased Ravel Remembered by Roger Nichols, a book of recollections of the composer by those who knew him.
"Look here, I have given up my time, my work, my friends and my career to come here and learn from you, and I am not going to write a petit menuet dans le style de Mozart." - Ralph Vaughan Williams to Maurice Ravel

Ken

Post by Ken » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:50 pm

Deutsche Grammophon
Wagner: Overtures and Preludes... Böhm, Jochum, Karajan, et al.

Not bad; includes the prelude to Die Walküre from Karajan's famous 1960s recording.