What are you listening to? Jazz, World, New Age, Rock, etc.

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

anasazi

Post by anasazi » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:40 pm

It seems I go by fits and starts, but I've recently gone back to listen to some old David Benoit albums. Even picked up a new one, Professional Dreamer.
"Take only pictures, leave only footprints" - John Muir.

Haydnseek

Post by Haydnseek » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:15 pm

"There is in the Southern Syncopated Orchestra an extraordinary clarinet virtuoso who is, so it seems, the first of his race to have composed perfectly formed blues on the clarinet. I've heard two of them which he elaborated at great length. They are admirable equally for their richness of invention, their force of accent, and their daring novelty and unexpected turns. These solos already show the germ of a new style. Their form is gripping, abrupt, harsh, with a brusque and pitiless ending like that of Bach's Second Brandenburg Concerto. I wish to set down the name of this artist of genius; as for myself, I shall never forget it—it is Sidney Bechet. When one has tried so often to find in the past one of those figures to whom we owe the creation of our art as we know it today—those men of the 17th and 18th centuries, for example, who wrote the expressive works of dance airs which cleared the way for Haydn and Mozart—what a moving thing it is to meet this black, fat boy with white teeth and narrow forehead, who is very glad one likes what he does, but can say nothing of his art, except that he follows his "own way"—and then one considers that perhaps his "own way" is the highway along which the whole world will swing tomorrow."

- Ernest Ansermet writing in 1918 for the Swiss "Revue Romande" (http://www.jass.com/bechet.html)

"The law isn't justice. It's a very imperfect mechanism. If you press exactly the right buttons and are also lucky, justice may show up in the answer. A mechanism is all the law was ever intended to be." - Raymond Chandler

mourningstar

Post by mourningstar » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:59 am

Istanbul (Not Constantinople) - Trevor Horn Orchestra

I just found an old LP from my dad with this song on it, .,..

A typical swing song. really american, i absolutley love it
"Desertion for the artist means abandoning the concrete."

miranda

Post by miranda » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:36 am

Sidney Bechet was a true genius. i have an old lp of the music for a ballet called La Nuit est Une Sorciere, where he was the soloist. Beautiful album, amazing musician.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

miranda

Post by miranda » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:44 pm

Not jazz, but I'm posting this anyway. This is, quite simply, a flawless album. Sam Cooke had one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard; it was truly tragic that he died while he was still so young. I've listened to this recording many, many times, and it never gets old.

1. Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen
2. Lost And Lookin'
3. Mean Old World
4. Please Don't Drive Me Away
5. I Lost Everything
6. Get Yourself Another Fool
7. Little Red Rooster
8. Laughin' And Clownin'
9. Trouble Blues
10. You Gotta Move
11. Fool's Paradise
12. Shake Rattle And Roll

Moonbath

Post by Moonbath » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:04 pm

I listen to Children of Sanchez by Chuck Mangione, very good jazz piece, my jazz band played it at a concert last year, also i like any Count Basie and John Schofield stuff, Jaco Pastorius( some of his songs are jazz) is good

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:06 am

Mingus, "[Kitty] Cat Dues"

[ Edited: Merciful heavens! ]
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

Gary

Post by Gary » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:20 pm

Erroll Garner

Label: Savoy Jazz

1. This Can't Be Love
2. I Want A Little Girl
3. Undecided
4. Love Walked In
5. Penthouse Serenade (When We're Alone)
6. All The Things You Are
7. Body And Soul
8. More Than You Know
9. Indiana, (Back Home Again In)
10. Laura
11. Somebody Loves Me
12. All Of Me
13. Stormy Weather
14. Confessin' (That I Love You), (I'm)
15. Moonglow
16. On The Sunny Side Of The Street
"Your idea of a donut-shaped universe intrigues me, Homer; I may have to steal it."

--Stephen Hawking makes guest appearance on The Simpsons

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:41 pm

Hey, Gary! Where you been? I missed you!
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Gary

Post by Gary » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:49 pm

Hi Corlyss,

I took a break from posting, that's all. :)

Hope to start posting regularly again.
"Your idea of a donut-shaped universe intrigues me, Homer; I may have to steal it."

miranda

Post by miranda » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:40 am

Nina Simone--Silk and Soul

Perfect late night listening, from a consummate artist, blessed with an unmistakable voice.

Next up: a little-known gem of an album, Weary Blues, featuring the beautiful poetry of Langston Hughes set to the equally beautiful music of Charles Mingus. Unforgettable.

Haydnseek

Post by Haydnseek » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:33 pm

I'm listening to the original LP from the Pablo label of Roy Eldridge's last recording as a leader. It was recorded live at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1977. The other musicians were Oscar Peterson, Niels Pedersen, and Bobby Durham. Eldridge could still play red hot at age 65 and it was a great hard-swinging, exciting set. It's available on CD:

"The law isn't justice. It's a very imperfect mechanism. If you press exactly the right buttons and are also lucky, justice may show up in the answer. A mechanism is all the law was ever intended to be." - Raymond Chandler

Gary

Post by Gary » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:41 pm

Coleman Hawkins

Label: Savoy Jazz

1. There Is Nothin' Like A Dame
2. On My Way
3. Should I
4. Thanks For The Misery
5. Flight Eleven
6. They Can't Take That Away from Me
7. I'll Tell You Later
8. Modern Fantasy
9. I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face
10. Goin' Down Home
11. Confessin'
12. September Song
13. Last Stop

Haydnseek

Post by Haydnseek » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:27 pm

An old favorite this evening: Art Farmer in a quintet performing music by Billy Strayhorn who was a composer, arranger and collaborator with Duke Ellington. Strayhorn's most well-known compositions are probably "Take the A Train" and "Lush Life," which are not included on this album. Farmer was a master of the flügelhorn which I think is one of the most beautiful of brass instruments.

merula

Post by merula » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:46 pm

A few of my favourites are:

'A Closer View' Ralph Towner & Gary Peacock - ECM

'Melody at Night With You' Keith Jarrett - ECM

'Book of Ways' Keith Jarrett - ECM

'Time Remembered' John Mclaughlin

'Day is Done' Brad Mehldau Trio - Nonesuch

'The Koln Concert' Keith Jarrett - ECM

There is so much that I have learned from listening to the performers listed above and many other performers in Jazz.

Matthew

http://www.matthewmcallister.com

Gary

Post by Gary » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:53 pm

Tonight, more from Savoy's Timeless series

Charles Mingus

1. Tea For Two
2. Eulogy For Rudy Williams
3. Purple Heart
4. Gregarian Chant
5. Getting Together
6. Body & Soul
7. Rose Geranium
8. Level Seven
9. Transeason
10. Smog LA
11. O.P.

Fats Navarro

1. Nostalgia
2. Goin' To Mintons
3. The Tadd Walk
4. Just A Mystery
5. Fracture
6. Fat Girl
7. A Be Bop Carroll
8. Ice Freezes Red
9. Calling Dr. Jazz
10. Hollerin' And Screamin'
11. Barry's Bop
12. Stealing Trash
13. Be Bop Romp
14. Red Pepper
15. Spinal
16. Maternity
17. Fats Blows
18. Eb Pob

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:11 am

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:19 pm

Mingus
The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts

Thomas J

Post by Thomas J » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:47 pm

Anything which features both Lee Morgan and Jackie McLean on the same session, you know is good stuff.

Thomas J

Post by Thomas J » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:32 pm

Image Bobby Hutcherson - Dialogue
Man, some of this stuff is really out there!

Thomas J

Post by Thomas J » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:41 am

Image JJ Johnson - JJ Inc
Simply put, a great album! Great supporting cast, playing and excellent sound. Recorded in 1960 and available on the SONY label. It will cost some extra bucks for this one. But IMO, it's well worth the cost.

Thomas J

Post by Thomas J » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:50 am

A 1960 session featuring fine playing from Lee Morgan as usual, Wayne Shorter, Bobby Timmons, Jymie Merritt and of course the great Art Blakey.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:44 pm

"Artie Shaw, featuring Roy Eldridge." LP vinyl, RCA LPV-582 "Vintage Series."

Just bought a factory-sealed copy today and love it!

Thomas J

Post by Thomas J » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:44 am

Hey! Where did all the jazz fans go? It's been very quiet here lately. Right now: Hank Mobley - Another Workout. I'm really enjoying this one being the huge Mobley fan that I am. Great to see this release finally reissued.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:09 pm

great 6 LP set with a detailed book enclosed

miranda

Post by miranda » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:17 pm

Thomas J wrote:Hey! Where did all the jazz fans go? It's been very quiet here lately.
I'm right here. I just have been listening to more classical music than jazz lately. (Imagine that!)

However, I did listen to this a little while ago--am I the only Cecil Taylor fan on this board? It would be a shame if I am.

Haydnseek

Post by Haydnseek » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:55 am

I have been listening to the Maria Schneider Jazz Orchestra quite a bit lately.

The orchestra exists to present the remarkable compositions of its leader. Schneider’s music is more complex in terms of rhythm, harmony and dynamics than most big band jazz. Words like buoyant, graceful, lilting, floating spring to mind if you try to describe her work. It’s highly original. I think you could label many of her pieces tone poems; others have been commissioned by dance ensembles. Latin rhythms play an important role. There are usually only one or two solos in a piece.

I had the great pleasure of sitting near the band for a set at the Jazz Standard in Manhattan. Ms. Schneider conducts the orchestra with fluid, graceful gestures and body movements stepping aside during solos. It was quite interesting to watch this pretty, petite woman expertly guiding a roaring big band full of men and also to see that the lead trumpet player was the superb young Canadian Ingrid Jensen.

Schneider’s recordings are only available through her website (worth visiting) and the artistShare website:

http://www.mariaschneider.com/default.aspx

http://www.artistshare.net/home/default.aspx

Thomas J

Post by Thomas J » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:56 pm

Image Donald Byrd - Free Form
Just recently added a bunch of Donald Byrd releases to the jazz collection. Recorded in 1961, it features a top notch lineup featuring Wayne Shorter on tenor sax, Herbie Hancock piano, Butch Warren on bass and Billy Higgins on drums.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:49 am

found this on LP but there is a CD. nice record.
  • "Sarah grooves up her bag a bit here -- working through some great 60s pop tunes, set to arrangements by Luchi De Jesus that have a nice little swing! The jazz component of the set is a bit muted, but Sarah's voice still sounds great -- and the best tunes on the album have a groovy 60s approach that's a nice change, and in the same mod mode as work from the same time by Mel Torme -- loungey, but still plenty darn great, and almost hipper than some of the other Vaughan work from the title. Titles include a great reading of Torme's original "Dominque's Discotheque", plus the tracks "Shadow Of Your Smile", "Sneakin Up On You", "Love", "Call Me", "Michelle", and "One Two Three"." --from dustygroove.com
Last edited by jserraglio on Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haydnseek

Post by Haydnseek » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:48 pm

Mel Torme: recordings from the 1990 and 1992 Fujitsu-Concord Jazz Festivals in Tokyo.

Mel has been my favorite singer for many years and these brilliantly recorded discs capture this great performer in characteristically excellent form. I attended his concerts on four occasions and can attest that these CDs accurately reproduce the experience of hearing him live.

miranda

Post by miranda » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:14 am

Billie Holiday--Body and Soul

The first jazz recording I ever listened to, on cassette on my walkman while i was in college, and it still never fails to move me.

With Harry "Sweets" Edison", trumpet; Ben Webster (of the Duke Elllington Orchestra fame)tenor saxophone, Jimmy Rowles, piano; Barney Kessel, guitar; Red Mitchell, bass; and Larry Bunker, Alvin Stoller, drums.

Gary

Post by Gary » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:53 am

More from Savoy's timeless series

Art Pepper

1. The Way You Look Tonight
2. Nutmeg
3. What's New
4. Surf Ride
5. These Foolish Things
6. Chili Pepper
7. Tickle Toe
8. Everything Happens To Me
9. Suzy The Poodle
10. Thyme Time
11. Straight Life
12. Deep Purple
13. Cinnamon
14. Art's Oregano

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:08 am

A great album. Ella, Henry 'Sweets' Edison and Marty Paich. Just bought on LP but it's also on CD.
  • 1. Sweet Georgia Brown
    2. Whisper Not
    3. I Said No
    4. Thanks For The Memory
    5. Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most
    6. Old MacDonald
    7. Time After Time
    8. You've Changed
    9. I've Got Your Number
    10. Lover Man (Oh Where Can You Be)
    11. Wives And Lovers
    12. Matchmaker

Bogey

Post by Bogey » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:36 am

Haydnseek

Post by Haydnseek » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:33 pm

Claude Thornhill: 1947 Transcription Performances from the valuable Hep label in the UK.

Thornhill’s admirers included Ellington, Monk, and Miles Davis who a year after these recordings would hire his musicians Gil Evans, Gerry Mulligan, and Lee Konitz to create the music heard on the landmark “Birth of the Cool” album.

Thornhill’s band had a distinctive, sensuous, cool, unselfconsciously sophisticated sound that was open to the influences of be-bop.

Bogey

Post by Bogey » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:09 pm

Enjoy it more than Volume I....at least this week :wink:

PS: Haydnseek,
Thornhill has been noted. I will try to find some samples.

Bogey

Post by Bogey » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:06 pm

Haydnseek wrote:Well, there hasn’t been as much interest in this thread as I hoped, but I’ll soldier on a little while longer.

This evening I’ve been listening to

Ellington is often mentioned as a major American composer as well as the leader and pianist of a popular jazz band. This very inexpensive 4 CD set from the British Proper label would be my first recommendation for a classical music lover who wanted to learn what all the fuss was about. You can pick it up at www.daedalusbooks.com for about US$ 20.

Ranging from the primitivism of his early “jungle” style to the urbane sophistication of later pieces this collection will provide a good introduction to the art of Edward Kennedy Ellington.
Was thumbing through the jazz thread for the first time and saw your post on the above Ellington set. It has been on my wish-list for some time now and this post just pushed it toward the top.

maskedman

Post by maskedman » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:01 pm

[quote="Bogey"][img]http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B ... ZZZZZ_.jpg[/img]

Enjoy it more than Volume I....at least this week :wink:

PS: Haydnseek,
Thornhill has been noted. I will try to find some samples.[/quote]

Bogey

Are we talking LP'S here......

Bogey

Post by Bogey » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:08 pm

maskedman wrote:
Are we talking LP'S here......
Not in my case....love 'em, but the storage is a bit much for me. I guess the next generation will (or already is) saying this about cds. :D

Tonight: 5 in the tray from the gentleman below.

maskedman

Post by maskedman » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:52 pm

[quote="Bogey"][quote="maskedman"]

Are we talking LP'S here......[/quote]

Not in my case....love 'em, but the storage is a bit much for me. I guess the next generation will (or already is) saying this about cds. :D

Tonight: 5 in the tray from the gentleman below.

[img]http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/0 ... 240_.L.jpg[/img][/quote]

I talk LP's. I have about 3,000. I have that and many Brubecks on LPs. I really dont listen to them much....Although my system is still intact...CD's are easier. I have many more cd's... I have quite abit Nat Cole, my absolutely favorite album of his is LOVE IS THE THING. I think thats his best....Gordon Jenkins.....fabulous. I also have it on cd....I still like the sound of lp's......

Robert

Bogey

Post by Bogey » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:40 am

maskedman wrote:
I talk LP's. I have about 3,000. I have that and many Brubecks on LPs. I really dont listen to them much....Although my system is still intact...CD's are easier. I have many more cd's... I have quite abit Nat Cole, my absolutely favorite album of his is LOVE IS THE THING. I think thats his best....Gordon Jenkins.....fabulous. I also have it on cd....I still like the sound of lp's......

Robert
I also enjoy the sound of lp's....definitely a different sound there. Do you have any of the Brubeck on the 10" lp's?

maskedman

Post by maskedman » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:54 pm

[quote="Bogey"][quote="maskedman"]

Robert[/quote]

I also enjoy the sound of lp's....definitely a different sound there. Do you have any of the Brubeck on the 10" lp's?[/quote]

I did have a few but my mother threw them out....I left alot of my things at home when I moved into the city and my mother did some house cleaning...alot of my baseball cards also...

Bogey

Post by Bogey » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:17 pm

Thomas J

Post by Thomas J » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:45 pm

Image Horace Parlan - The Complete Blue Note Horace Parlan Sessions

Man, is this ever a keeper! I'm listening now to disc 4 of 5 and can't say enough great things about this set. Horace's playing is very much blues based. Whether in a trio setting or larger group, this is jazz at it's best. Other musicians featured on this 1960 - 63 compilation are Stanley and Tommy Turrentine, Booker Ervin and Grant Green to name a few.

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:02 pm

My Spanish Heart

Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts

MegaKitsune

Post by MegaKitsune » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:07 pm

"Mina Soko Ni Nemure" by the Thrill featuring Yukarie

"Space Channel 5 Theme" - "Mexican Flyer" by Ken Woodman & his Picaddilly Brass

"Fly In The Freedom", "I'm A Spy!","34ºN, 12ºE", "Lovely Gate 3", "Bright Sound" for Sonic Adventure 2 by Wavemaster

I'm also listensing to the Mushroom Jazz series of CDs.
-MegaKitsune

piston

Post by piston » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:36 pm

Coltrane + Getz + Rifftide + Europe 1960 =
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... g-sl&hl=en
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

James

Post by James » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:12 pm

some Charlie Parker

anasazi

Post by anasazi » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:44 am

Just listened to the "Piano Stylings of Nat 'King' Cole". Probably this is not completely a jazz album. Released in the mid-1950's, Cole's arranger, Nelson Riddle penned the orchestral arrangements. About half ballads and half up-tempo. The album apparently died at the time, but it has been out on CD now for a few years. Cole was of course more famous for his voice than his piano playing, but this release is a nice way to hear Cole's unique piano playing without having to come to terms with be-bop.

That probably includes me of course, I like Cole's playing better when I can hear the chord inversions in the orchestra.
"Take only pictures, leave only footprints" - John Muir.

Gary

Post by Gary » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:43 am

What an extraordinary voice!