About CMG's contributors!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

josé echenique

Re: About CMG's contributors!

Post by josé echenique » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:17 am

Lance wrote:At the suggestion of Slofstra (thank you, Henry), I've changed the title of this thread and have made it "sticky" so it will stay on top. I'm hopeful many more will contribute their "stories" here!

Piston's post about biographies of our musical lives, so to speak, prompts me to hesitatingly place this new thread.

Many of us wonder about people on our boards, and not wanting to be too inquisitive, I would, as would many others, like to hear what you have to say about yourself. New member Friedrich Kuhlau did a great job as a newbie!

It would be nice to know if you:

• are male or female [it's hard to tell by sign-on names!]
• sign-on name AND what do your friends call you?
• what country you reside in
• study music - if so what instrument
• are a performing/practicing musician
• collect records [CDs or LPs]
• are a composer or teacher
• said anything else you might like us to know about you

Now, is this a good idea?
Hello Forum,

I´m an Opera and Classical Music lover from Mexico City. My friends call me "Pepe", I´m a male of course, and I´m very happy to join the forum. I´m a lawyer, sad to say, and I don´t play any instruments, but I do play a lot of cd´s since I have a considerable collection, some 32 recordings of Cosi fan Tutte alone will give you an idea. My interests are wide, from Palestrina to Gershwin, but I have a soft spot for all Baqroque Music and obviously, Mozart.
That´s about it.

Happy New Year to all!!!

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie

Re: Introducing yourself thread!

Post by Jared » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:21 am

^^ hi Pepe, and a very warm welcome to our friendly forum :!: ...

with interests as varied as those, you will be sure to find members here who have similar interests to you, and much to talk about... :D

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:32 am

Jared wrote:^^ hi Pepe, and a very warm welcome to our friendly forum :!: ...

with interests as varied as those, you will be sure to find members here who have similar interests to you, and much to talk about... :D
Thank you Jared, and by the way I love Beecham too!!!

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:34 am

Hello Pepe and welcome to CMG.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:33 am

Seán wrote:Hello Pepe and welcome to CMG.
Thank you Seán.

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:37 am

Hello to the universe of CMG.

I am a male residing in the United States.

I listen to all facets of cm, but at this time in my life orchestral pieces and solo piano are my favorites. It is always a continual journey to learn and appreciate new music.

Other artistic endeavors-I compose my own music and am involved in photography and graphic design.

Thankful to be alive in a time and place that allows me the good fortune to listen and enjoy a variety of music.

Glad to be here and wish all a great weekend.

Prometheus

HoustonDavid

Post by HoustonDavid » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:08 pm

Welcome Pepe and Prometheus. Hope you feel comfortable here and join in our often
lively - sometimes humorous - discussions of favorite topics.
"May You be born in interesting (maybe confusing?) times" - Chinese Proverb (or Curse)

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:12 pm

HoustonDavid wrote:Welcome Pepe and Prometheus. Hope you feel comfortable here and join in our often
lively - sometimes humorous - discussions of favorite topics.
Thank you Houston, glad to be here. What a great Forum this is.

Jared

Post by Jared » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi Prometheus... when you find time away from being tied to a large rock and having your liver plucked out and eaten on a daily basis by an eagle, we hope you post regularly about your love of CM... :wink:

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:34 pm

Thankfully I regenerate everyday. :wink:

Thanks for the kind welcome. Greetings and salutations to Jared, José, and HoustonDavid.

HoustonDavid

Post by HoustonDavid » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:21 pm

For friends, it's just David. :)
"May You be born in interesting (maybe confusing?) times" - Chinese Proverb (or Curse)

ChrisX

Post by ChrisX » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:23 pm

Prometheus wrote:I listen to all facets of cm, but at this time in my life orchestral pieces and solo piano are my favorites. It is always a continual journey to learn and appreciate new music.
Well, solo piano music is a field that I have just begun to 'excavate' and it is slowly becoming a huge favourite of mine.... So, welcome and do share your knowledge of music. Feel free to talk about your own music as well, we have a few more 'composers-in-residence' here @ CMG.

FYI, my own introduction is a few posts up (and then probably a few more pages back another one).
Chris
"Remember what's been given, not taken away" (Brett Kull)

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:06 pm

A very warm welcome to our new friends....may your stay be happy and long and may you post often and share your experiences of music :D

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:36 pm

Hello Prometheus, welcome to CMG.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:53 am

Thanks again for the warm welcome from everyone.

Ricordanza

Re: About CMG's contributors!

Post by Ricordanza » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:47 am

josé echenique wrote:I´m a lawyer, sad to say,
As one of several lawyers on this Board, I have to say, what's sad about that? Welcome, Counselor Pepe!

Ted Quanrud

Post by Ted Quanrud » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:55 pm

My sign-in name, Ted Quanrud, is my real name.

I live in North Dakota, which is in the United States, although few Americans have been here, and many assume we're part of Canada. There are times when we wish we were part of Canada. Right now, there's a major winter storm underway here, and a good part of what was Canada yesterday is whizzing past my window at 35 to 40 mph.

I am not a musician. I was the worst double bass player in the history of the Bismarck High School Symphony Orchstra (my bass playing was vile or my viol playing was base) and the bucket in which I carry a tune is very leaky.

A former newspaper reporter and photographer, I am now the "flack," the public information officer for a state agency. On Sunday evenings, I host a three-hour classical music program on our public radio station. Last week marked my 28th anniversary behind the microphone.

I live in a weird little 1928 cottage with about 4,000 CDs, a like number of books, a well-stocked bar and Rosser, a very unsociable black cat.

I am delighted to have found The Classical Music Guide and very much look forward to making new friends and learning more about classical music on these forums.

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:00 pm

Ted Quanrud wrote:My sign-in name, Ted Quanrud, is my real name.

I live in North Dakota, which is in the United States, although few Americans have been here, and many assume we're part of Canada.....
Welcome!
And actually I think most people don't know North Dakota is even near Canada. :lol:
For a very long time I didn't know it was way up therelike that, even though I had some reasons to be interested in the state, including that one of my favorite ballplayers (ROGER MARIS) was from there. The Roger Maris Museum may be the thing that will yet get me up there.

For a while I co-hosted a classical music program on a little radio station. It was fun, but a lot of work. :)
Don't expect me to be sane, I'm playing Scriabin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ySs4aQ8 ... D6&index=0

ChrisX

Post by ChrisX » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:23 pm

welcome to our little corner of the web. Folks are very friendly around here although sometimes a bit too quickly fired up about things 8)
Ted Quanrud wrote:On Sunday evenings, I host a three-hour classical music program on our public radio station. Last week marked my 28th anniversary behind the microphone.
Does your station by any chance stream the show live on the internet? I find it always fascinating to listen to radio-stations from around the globe.
Chris

Ted Quanrud

Post by Ted Quanrud » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi Chris --

Sunday Serenade (stupid name that I inherited) is at 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. (U.S. Central Time), Sundays. The live stream can be caught here:
www.prairiepublic.org/radio/listen-now/

Hope you enjoy it.

ChrisX

Post by ChrisX » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:32 pm

Ted Quanrud wrote:Sunday Serenade (stupid name that I inherited) is at 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. (U.S. Central Time), Sundays. The live stream can be caught here: http://www.prairiepublic.org/radio/listen-now/
Hope you enjoy it.
OK, I'll try to remember it next Sunday. The timing is quite convenient for me because at that time I have come back from my own two radioshows (1 hour of electronic + ambient music, 2 hours of progressive rock in its broadest sense). As I said, always curious to hear how other people put their radioshows together.
Chris

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:52 am

Ted Quanrud wrote:A former newspaper reporter and photographer, I am now the "flack," the public information officer for a state agency.
As a fellow bureaucrat (in a New Jersey state government agency), a double welcome to you!

RichardMitnick

Post by RichardMitnick » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:25 pm

I just registered for this forum. My interests in music are Classical and Jazz. In Classical, while my collection runs forward from Beethoven, I tend toward late twentieth century and current music, from Copland through Golijov. The most recent music I have purchased is the work of Nico Muhly. In Jazz, I go forward from Thelonious Monk. The most recent work I have purchased is Darcy James Argue.

I am very interested in music on the internet. I see the internet as the current or next great paradigm for serious music.

I support living composers in my music buying. I buy music in .mp3 from Amazon. Lots of it.

In Public Radio I belong to WNYC/WQXR, New York City; WPRB, Princeton, NJ; and WBGO, Newark, NJ. At WQXR, I am mostly a Q2 ,listener.

I also subscribe to Live365, mostly for the streams from http://innova.mu, which is The American Composers Forum, St Paul MN. But, I also stream Counterstream from the American Music Center, New York, Iridium, and Postclassic, the stream of Kyle Gann.

I write a blog, "Whither Public Radio and serious music" at http://richardmitnick.wordpress.com. I also subscribe in RSS to many blogs on musical subjects.

Well, I think that is quite enough.

>>RSM
>>RSM
Please visit my blog
"MusicSprings"
http://musicsprings.wordpress.com

Are you a cruncher? Please visit
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
http://boinc.berkeley.edu

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:48 am

RichardMitnick wrote:I just registered for this forum.
Welcome aboard...and a double welcome to a fellow New Jersey resident.

RichardMitnick

Post by RichardMitnick » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:16 pm

Hey Ricordanza-

Where in S.J.? From 1964-1967, I lived in Woodbury, NJ We Had Classical WFLN and Jazz WHAT, both in Philadelphia. Joel Dorn, a Grammy winning Jazz producer who just passed away, was a DJ, along with Sid Mark, at WHAT.

I remember recording on my Sony three head tape deck Handel's Messiah from WFLN, and sometime in the broadcast, Jeannie, in the upstairs apartment, turned on her garbage disposal unit, and, of course, I got that via the antenna too.

In those days, we had E.J. Korvette's, with huge Classical LP departments, Angel, DGG, etc., "unadvertised specials". Also, they had a great stereo component room. I bought my first good equipment on an unadvertised special: Fisher 500 vacuum tube receiver, Garrard AT-60 turn table, and house brand XAM two way speakers (later replaced with Wharfedale three-way speakers with nine pound magnets, speakers I still use today).
>>RSM
Please visit my blog
"MusicSprings"

RichardMitnick

Post by RichardMitnick » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:21 pm

I have to tell you folks, I have been around forums a long time, BOINC forums, WCG forums, Mozillazine, the old Netscape Forums, I have never felt so welcomed as I have here.

And, Lance, you need some sleep therapy.
>>RSM
Please visit my blog
"MusicSprings"

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:02 pm

Richard: Thank you for the very nice comments. We love our musical friends and are happy they are here - and that you feel especially welcome. Once-in-a-while we go off on a tangent or get upset about something but in general, it is a very friend forum! Thank you for letting us know how you feel. And about the sleeping, I believe you are right. Any special therapy you recommend? More special kind of music, perhaps?
RichardMitnick wrote:I have to tell you folks, I have been around forums a long time, BOINC forums, WCG forums, Mozillazine, the old Netscape Forums, I have never felt so welcomed as I have here.

And, Lance, you need some sleep therapy.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Jared

Post by Jared » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:10 am

Lance wrote: More special kind of music, perhaps?
We think that you already own 'all the special kind of music' Lance... you just need to root it out! :lol:

Richard... a very warm (if belated) welcome to this friendly forum... :D

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:14 am

RichardMitnick wrote:Hey Ricordanza-

Where in S.J.? From 1964-1967, I lived in Woodbury, NJ We Had Classical WFLN and Jazz WHAT, both in Philadelphia.
I want to preserve a little anonymity, so I'll respond in more detail by private message.

Unfortunately, WFLN is no more. We now have WRTI, which divides its programming between classical and jazz. If I go a little north toward the Trenton/Princeton area, I can get WWFM at 89.1, which is an all-classical station.

RichardMitnick

Post by RichardMitnick » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:06 am

I totally understand.

I know WFLN is long gone, and WHAT.

I recommend WPRB, Princeton, NJ, on the computer at http://www.wprb.com. Classical music each week-day from (about) 6:30AM-11:00AM, especially Marvin Rosen on Wednesdays, Classical Discoveriesd until 8:30AM and then Classical Discoveries Goes Avantgarde from 11:00AM-1:00PM. This second program we almost lost. So, I got folks at http://www.sequenza21.com/ - the New Music blog - to rain emails to the station manager. We got the program saved. It is terribly important.
>>RSM
Please visit my blog
"MusicSprings"

HoustonDavid

Post by HoustonDavid » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:46 pm

Welcome Richard. Glad to have a new name and personality to add to our most inclusive
and neighborly roster of music (and other interesting things) lovers.

David Sherman

fishgrit

Post by fishgrit » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:13 pm

Hi I'm Jeremy, male, 61 years old, a Brit living in Connecticut USA, working in New York City and a frequent visitor to Academy Records. My screen name is a deficient anagram of my surname - Griffiths.
My wife Barbara and I have always had a major interest in classical music. Up to our late 20s we played piano, clarinet and violin rather badly. Thereafter kids and work intervened and we just listen now; perhaps when I retire.... Bach is the anchor tenant but apart from Bel Canto and Wagner, we enjoy most stuff.
Current fixation is playing music via the computer. Started this 3 years ago and now have some 7000 CDs ripped and loaded. I would like to learn how others have created similar systems and happy to offer advice. Because the music industry is now driven by pop downloads and their format and information needs, classical music is very poorly served in the new online/computer world. I believe that if this is not fixed, the new generation will have even less incentive to explore classical music.

There, I've had my rant.

Great to find this forum and thanks to Lance, Corlyss and all.... for making it enjoyable. Jeremy

RichardMitnick

Post by RichardMitnick » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:45 pm

Jeremy-

Welcome!! You are going to like this forum.

Regarding listening, I like your style. I went totally digital some time ago, ripped all of my CD's in Classical, Jazz and Pop music to 320k .mp3.
Decent computer speakers, everything on 1Tb WD 7200rpm HDD's. Two are Passport portables, one is a My Book with AC power. I gave away everything physical, CD'S, DVD's, audio equipment.

Videos also, all ripped to .mp4. I also have a WD-TV box, with a 320gig WD Passport drive so I can watch music concerts on my big screen TV.

Portables for walks, airplanes, the dentist office, 4 120 gig Zunes, Classical and spoken word, Jazz, Pop,and video.

Radio- WQXR (http://www/wqxr.org) the 105.9 web stream for traditional Classical music, and for me especially the Q2 stream (http://www.wqxr.org/q2) which is basically more eclectic with a major orientation to New Music, what has been called alt-Classical; WBGO, Newark, NJ (http://www.wbgo.org) for Jazz; and WPRB, Princeton, NJ (http://www.wprb.com) really the best Classical music and Jazz, week-days 6:00AM-1:00PM. Everyone is streaming at 128k.

Welcome aboard.
>>RSM
Please visit my blog
"MusicSprings"

fishgrit

Post by fishgrit » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Thanks Richard.

I listen to WQXR sometimes and will try the others. I have a whole load of stations set up on my foobar radio playlist and I usually listen to the BBC 3 - well I am a Brit!

I have an 120 gig ipod for the commute but get so annoyed by it's stupid limited display and menus. Is the Zune any different?

I admire your decision to give away all your CDs. After so many years acquiring them them have become fetish items for me. I used to admire the wall of laden shelves and stroke their plastic cases. Although I never play them now that I have the computer system, I still haven't got to the zen state of allowing them to disappear from my life.

Jeremy

RichardMitnick

Post by RichardMitnick » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Jeremy

You know, I like the Zune. But, like the iPod, it is controlled by software first on the computer, where the library is set up. I tried iTunes for about a month and gave it up. It was way too controlling of my environment. The Zune software is pretty darn snarky. Any editing I do in Zune on an album, any tagging, except album art, goes through to Windows and shows up in Windows Media Player and Winamp (I use WMP11 for my .mp3's at home; but at work, where I am fortunate to control the music, I use Winamp for everything because it is so good for streaming on line audio. At work, I mostly listen to online audio, Q2, or WPRB from Princeton; but if anything horrendous happens, like a caterwauling soprano, I can quickly switch to my own collection).

The player plays .mp3's and .mp4 video's well enough. But, there are little niceties not there: repeat a track until I change the setting; a letter index so that if I want Sibelius or John Zorn, I do not have to scroll all the way to S or Z. The battery indicator is an absolute zero. I just know that after a few albums - way less than they say - I should put it on charge, and be sure it is trickle charge through USB, no the AC charger or any car charger. They both killed each one a unit.

Glad you are here.
>>RSM
Please visit my blog
"MusicSprings"

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:00 pm

fishgrit wrote:Hi I'm Jeremy, male, 61 years old, a Brit living in Connecticut USA, working in New York City and a frequent visitor to Academy Records.....
Welcome Jeremy! -- I'm just down the road in Westchester and I make the trek to NY also.
Not today though. :lol:

fishgrit

Post by fishgrit » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:44 pm

Thanks Mark,

I listened to your YouTube Scriabin. Absolutely brilliant.
So now I know what you look like, if you ever get on the same train as me....

Jeremy

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:13 pm

Welcome to the board, Jeremy! Kick your shoes off and set a spell. Post early and often. We have quite a few Brits here, and our Violin Master does Sunday chats from the comfort of his home across the pond. Lance is otherwise occupied for the moment or you would have had a more timely and enthusiastic welcome from the moderators.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:09 am

fishgrit wrote:So now I know what you look like, if you ever get on the same train as me....
Stupidly, I drive. :lol:

(Thanks for the props on the Scriabin!
BTW....if you like it enough, maybe you can give me a "5" -- I'm only a few decimals away from being kicked up to the next notch.) :mrgreen:

HoustonDavid

Post by HoustonDavid » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Welcome to our usually-civilized (and international) village, Jeremy. Hope you join our quartet
of forums and post and reply often.

fishgrit

Post by fishgrit » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:22 pm

MarkC wrote:BTW....if you like it enough, maybe you can give me a "5" -- I'm only a few decimals away from being kicked up to the next notch.)
Certainly - it was a pleasure! Jeremy

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:42 pm

fishgrit wrote:
MarkC wrote:BTW....if you like it enough, maybe you can give me a "5" -- I'm only a few decimals away from being kicked up to the next notch.)
Certainly - it was a pleasure! Jeremy
Thanks! [he says sheepishly, since he felt a little silly asking in the first place]
I noticed that there must have been one more top vote and figured it might have been you. :)

BTW.....I really liked your extensive comment on the "modern music" thread, and if we had these stupid ratings for posts, I would have given that a "5" too. :lol:

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:02 am

Welcome Pepe and Jeremy ! There's a lot more to 20th century music than Gershwin! I also enjoy the music of the Mexican composers Carlos Chavez and Silvestre Revueltas! 32 recordings of Cosi Fan Tutte! That's amazing ! How about the other Mozart operas?
I'm also very curious to hear the opera Florencia En El Amazonas by Mexican composer Daniel Catan. I hear it's really something.

StephenSutton

Post by StephenSutton » Thu May 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Hi folks, I just got a nice welcome on another thread and thought Id chip in having just joined - if I can remember all of the questions.

My username is my name so that's easy.. I am the founder and CEO of Divine Art Recordings Group, English citizen, but currently working in beautiful vermont where we have set up our new US headquarters. I have never studied music and can hardly read it.. so my playing (piano/organ) is muchly improvisatory! Apart from the company (which started as purely a hobby and then took over my life) my interests are collecting vintage phonograph (gramophone) records - hoping to set up a proper archive and a phonograph museum display - and English non-league football - which for you Americans probably translates as "minor league soccer"!

Enjoy listening mainly to big Romantic symphonic repertoire but have broadened my horizons a great deal since working in music - running a contemporary & avant-garde label like Metier is very educational to say the least; and 70s adn 80s rock: Yes, Led Zep, Dire Straits, ELO, Barclay James Harvest etc., and late 1920s dance bands.. Trouble is 90% of my record collection is still in the UK: about 5000 LPs and 16000 78s

Married to Edna who is still sadly in England working away and earning to keep us afloat but hoping to join the business next winter.

Me in a nutshell.
Stephen Sutton
Divine Art Recordings Group

RichardMitnick

Post by RichardMitnick » Thu May 20, 2010 5:46 pm

StephenSutton wrote: running a contemporary & avant-garde label like Metier is very educational to say the least
I am pretty much into New Music, labels like Innova (American Composers Forum, St Paul, MN), Cuneiform, New Amsterdam, and Canteloupe (Bang On A Can). So, who is on Metier? Is there a web site, is stuff available in .mp3 from Metier or Amazon? I know, lots of questions.

If you want to hear the pulse of New Music here, check out first, Q2, the 24/7 New Music stream at WQXR, New York, http://www.wqxr.org/q2. At Live365 http://www.live365.com , you will find five streams from Innova, also Counterstream (American Music Center, New York City), Kyle Gann's PostClassic, and Iridian.

And, Oh yes, check out my blog, listed below.

Welcome to a really great forum.

>>RSM
>>RSM
Please visit my blog
"MusicSprings"

StephenSutton

Post by StephenSutton » Fri May 21, 2010 4:39 pm

RichardMitnick wrote:
StephenSutton wrote: running a contemporary & avant-garde label like Metier is very educational to say the least
I am pretty much into New Music, labels like Innova (American Composers Forum, St Paul, MN), Cuneiform, New Amsterdam, and Canteloupe (Bang On A Can). So, who is on Metier? Is there a web site, is stuff available in .mp3 from Metier or Amazon? I know, lots of questions.
Hi Richard, I';ll try not to make it a sales pitch, not what the forum is for, but as you asked, Metier is one of the two major UK contemporary -music labels and became part of the Divine Art group in 2007. Website at www.divineartrecords.com,. we have full distribution through all dealers in the USA as well as our own site and yes all titles are on iTunes, Classics Online, Amazon digi etc. and our own digital store. Lots of composers Americans include Crumb, Rochberg, Feldman, Ives....and lots of Fox, Finnissy and Ferneyhough). Just under 100 titles, other than than that you'll have to check it out! Apologies, if anyone wants info on the labels, I am more than to deal with queries by PM rather than the public board.
Stephen Sutton

RichardMitnick

Post by RichardMitnick » Fri May 21, 2010 5:38 pm

StephenSutton

Thanks, and I will. Certainly for Crumb.
>>RSM
Please visit my blog
"MusicSprings"

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Sat May 22, 2010 7:59 am

A very warm welcome to you Stephen :D

StephenSutton

Post by StephenSutton » Sat May 22, 2010 10:31 pm

Thanks Fergus. Just briefly scanned some of the earlier posts re iTunes, giving away CDs etc. I am obviously a dinosaur :mrgreen: . Though I make and sell digital music I won't personally buy it, the only concession is a JB7 in the shop which plays continuous random tracks 24/7; for me I don't want a computer anywhere near my relaxation room - I spend 14 hrs a day in the office at one! You still can't beat a top level player and really fine speakers (I use Dali Ikon 7s with an REL sub) No I like to stretch out and have a good CD booklet to browse, which I can then put away neatly and safely in the case. (I don't stroke the cases like fishgrit, they after all cheap plastic and an awful design concept). Actually music considerations aside, I just suppose I am a record collector as much as a music collector - with over 7 tons of 78s and LPs in the house - (mostly not classical)- I'm just obsessed with 'proper' records as artefacts. :lol: :lol:
Stephen Sutton

thekla

Post by thekla » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:56 am

Hi!

My name is Bing and I am female. I am from China and now studying in the U.S.
I started studying piano when I was 5 and quit when I entered college. I still play a little when I have time, but no longer study with a teacher.
I do collect CDs, but was not able to bring most of them with me when I came to the U.S.
I listen to all kinds of classical music, and I am particularly interested in opera, art song, and of course, piano. I have great admiration for a lot of pianists and my absolute favorites are Richter and Sofronitsky.