NAXOS American Classics series

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
Jack Kelso
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Mannheim, Germany

NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Jack Kelso » Sat May 08, 2010 2:37 pm

Just recently I purchased the 4th and 5th symphonies of William Grant Still. Very impressive! He seems to have his own harmonic language and a wealth of melodic inspiration.

There is so much in this series from Naxos I don't know what to buy next. And at only 6 Euros apiece one can hardly go wrong. The archive is increasing by leaps and bounds. And it's about time that more attention is paid to American composers' output!

Are these recordings easy to come by in the United States?

Tschüß,
Jack
"Schumann's our music-maker now." ---Robert Browning

absinthe
Posts: 3586
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:13 pm
Location: UK

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by absinthe » Sat May 08, 2010 3:55 pm

Jack Kelso wrote: There is so much in this series from Naxos I don't know what to buy next. And at only 6 Euros apiece one can hardly go wrong. The archive is increasing by leaps and bounds. And it's about time that more attention is paid to American composers' output!

Are these recordings easy to come by in the United States?

Tschüß,
Jack
I do agree, Jack. Just where to wade in?

They're available in the UK so presumably in America. I'm not sure but I think they took over some of the Delos American catalogue. All the same, nice to have a series devoted to American composers.

Across time, though, many Americans not quite in the mainstream like Copland or Bernstein have been recorded. It's a great shame that the "First Edition" reissues of the Louisville series were curtailed. Though the sound sometimes left a bit to be desired there were some interesting presentations. It was through the series that I happened upon composers like Persichetti, Mennin, Creston et al. I was about 14 when I tumbled on Creston's Invocation and Dance.

:)

Prometheus
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Prometheus » Sat May 08, 2010 11:43 pm

Hello, Jack!

I have not seen this series in stores, but ordering from Amazon or Naxos Direct has worked for me. I have at least one disc in this series by Glass, Diamond, Cage, Barber, Hovhaness, and Ives and they all have been good finds.

jserraglio
Posts: 4831
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 7:06 am
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by jserraglio » Sun May 09, 2010 6:02 am

They are readily available in the USA, provided you can find a store that still stocks classical CDs.

Here are a few recent ones I like:

Giannini: Piano Concerto; Symphony No. 4
Samuel Jones: Symphony No. 3, & 'Palo Duro Canyon', Concerto for Tuba and Orchestra
Corigliano: Mr. Tambourine Man; Seven Poems of Bob Dylan; Three Hallucinations
Corigliano: A Dylan Thomas Trilogy
Corigliano: Circus Maximus; Gazebo Dances for band
Stephen Albert: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2

And [not in the Am Classics series] Schmidt's Symphonies 1 & 2.

stefanher
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:30 am

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by stefanher » Sun May 09, 2010 6:18 am

I too welcome this series. Can I pose a nasty question though for US readers? British labels like Chandos & Hyperion do the lesser known British composers like Rubbra & Bantock proud; Similarly BIS for Scandanavians & CPO for Germans. Why as far as I can tell do none of the US labels do the same for US composers?

Scott Morrison
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 6:19 pm
Location: Vermont

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Scott Morrison » Sun May 09, 2010 7:04 am

American record companies do record American music just like the Brits and other Europeans do their own music. Just off the top of my head I'd suggest you might try the Albany, Delos, New World (formerly CRI), Dorian and Nonesuch labels, as well as the burgeoning Naxos American series. I'm sure other members here can suggest other labels.
Der Himmel hängt voller Geigen. - Bavarian folksong

Donaldopato
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Donaldopato » Sun May 09, 2010 3:45 pm

For me the Hovhaness series is invaluable, bringing more of this fascinating composer to light and showing that he simply did not recompose the same work over and over.

Also worth exploring: the William Schuman symphonies, the ongoing Roy Harris symphony series, Marin Alsop's Barber and Slatkin's Leroy Anderson series.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17659
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Chalkperson » Sun May 09, 2010 4:27 pm

Donaldopato wrote:For me the Hovhaness series is invaluable, bringing more of this fascinating composer to light and showing that he simply did not recompose the same work over and over.

Also worth exploring: the William Schuman symphonies, the ongoing Roy Harris symphony series, Marin Alsop's Barber and Slatkin's Leroy Anderson series.
I like Hovhaness and Harris a lot, Schuman i'm not so enamored with...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

some guy
Modern Music Specialist
Posts: 1625
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:00 am
Location: portland, or
Contact:

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by some guy » Mon May 10, 2010 12:06 am

Schuman and Schumann both, Chalkie? (I'll bet you only wear slippers, too. Or sandals.)

Anyway, all seriousness aside, I couldn't agree with this statement more: "And it's about time that more attention is paid to American composers' output!" Though I'm pretty sure my list of composers would be ever so slightly different than Naxos'. :wink:
"The public has got to stay in touch with the music of its time . . . for otherwise people will gradually come to mistrust music claimed to be the best."
--Viennese critic (1843)

Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not understood.
--Henry Miller

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17659
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Chalkperson » Mon May 10, 2010 1:57 am

some guy wrote:Schuman and Schumann both, Chalkie? (I'll bet you only wear slippers, too. Or sandals.)
I'm like the Devil, all I wear are Prada...Sneakers and Slippers, but, not Sandals... :wink:
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Jack Kelso
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Mannheim, Germany

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Jack Kelso » Mon May 10, 2010 12:59 pm

Chalkperson wrote:
some guy wrote:Schuman and Schumann both, Chalkie? (I'll bet you only wear slippers, too. Or sandals.)
I'm like the Devil, all I wear are Prada...Sneakers and Slippers, but, not Sandals... :wink:
Omigosh, Chalkie! Does that mean you're scand---er, I mean "sandalous"!

Tschüß,
Jack
"Schumann's our music-maker now." ---Robert Browning

Neytiri

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Neytiri » Mon May 10, 2010 1:03 pm

Ew, Prada.

absinthe
Posts: 3586
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:13 pm
Location: UK

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by absinthe » Mon May 10, 2010 2:50 pm

Are they really made of discarded Russian newspapers?

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17659
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Chalkperson » Mon May 10, 2010 3:53 pm

absinthe wrote:Are they really made of discarded Russian newspapers?
No, discarded Communist Party Manifestos...Muccia Prada was a Card Carrying Communist... :wink:
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26866
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by jbuck919 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:36 pm

If I'm looking at the right site then their selection is actually shockingly limited (I have at least the Wuorinen Sextet). It is hard to know what other than opportunism accounts for this selection as opposed to some other.

Many American composers besides the obvious have fairly extensive discographies, but it is generally a mistake to look for anything approaching completeness on any one label. And of course, multiple recordings of most things are an extreme rarity.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Jack Kelso
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Mannheim, Germany

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Jack Kelso » Thu May 13, 2010 7:57 am

jbuck919 wrote:If I'm looking at the right site then their selection is actually shockingly limited (I have at least the Wuorinen Sextet). It is hard to know what other than opportunism accounts for this selection as opposed to some other.

Many American composers besides the obvious have fairly extensive discographies, but it is generally a mistake to look for anything approaching completeness on any one label. And of course, multiple recordings of most things are an extreme rarity.
You're right, John. But we have to take what's out there---and NAXOS has made a valuable contribution. How many recordings are there of Copland's great Third Symphony? How about a complete set of Walter Piston's symphonies!? Where can we find recordings of Peter Menin's best works?

It IS a beginning---at least.

Tschüß,
Jack
"Schumann's our music-maker now." ---Robert Browning

Donaldopato
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Donaldopato » Thu May 13, 2010 9:05 am

Naxos American Classics reissued the Delos Schwarz/Seattle Piston 2, 6 and 4 but apparently there is nothing else from that source. It would be great to have new recordings of the remainder, most of which are only represented by the scrappy, sonically challenged Louisville recordings.

A new Mennin set would be nice as well as a chance to hear Menotti's symphonies.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

maestrob
Posts: 5712
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by maestrob » Thu May 13, 2010 10:58 am

Donaldopato wrote:Naxos American Classics reissued the Delos Schwarz/Seattle Piston 2, 6 and 4 but apparently there is nothing else from that source. It would be great to have new recordings of the remainder, most of which are only represented by the scrappy, sonically challenged Louisville recordings.

A new Mennin set would be nice as well as a chance to hear Menotti's symphonies.
Menotti also wrote a very fine piano concerto, recorded by Earl Wild and still available on Amazon (even though discontinued):

Image

pizza
Posts: 5094
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:03 am

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by pizza » Fri May 14, 2010 1:56 am

I believe this is the latest Naxos American Classics series catalogue. Not bad at all!

http://www.naxos.com/series/american_classics.htm

Jack Kelso
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Mannheim, Germany

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Jack Kelso » Fri May 14, 2010 4:32 am

pizza wrote:I believe this is the latest Naxos American Classics series catalogue. Not bad at all!

http://www.naxos.com/series/american_classics.htm
Thanks for including it here, Pizza. The catalog comes with an occasional purchase as well. One of my all-time favorite American symphonies is Peter Menin's Fifth (on Mercury), but I would welcome a second recording---and from Naxos!

Tschüß,
Jack
"Schumann's our music-maker now." ---Robert Browning

Jack Kelso
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Mannheim, Germany

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Jack Kelso » Mon May 17, 2010 3:12 pm

Apparently, Naxos has issued nearly ALL of the William Schuman symphonies. I'd rather have the complete symphonies of Walter Piston, however.

Any Wm. Schuman fans out there...?! I find many of his symphonic movements rather arid.....!

Tschüß,
Jack
"Schumann's our music-maker now." ---Robert Browning

Donaldopato
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Donaldopato » Mon May 17, 2010 4:11 pm

I am with you and much prefer Piston and Mennin to Schuman. Piston was always dismissed as "dryly academic", a description more fitting of Schuman in my humblest opinion.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

some guy
Modern Music Specialist
Posts: 1625
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:00 am
Location: portland, or
Contact:

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by some guy » Mon May 17, 2010 5:02 pm

Donaldopato wrote:Piston was always dismissed as "dryly academic".
This has been mentioned a couple of times recently on forums.

I wonder how that reputation ever got started. His music is so charming and ingratiating. Instantly likeable, I would have said. Maybe a little too lightweight is all. But certainly neither dry nor academic. (Whatever that's supposed to mean. Most composers have paying jobs, and mostly those jobs are at universities. I'd venture to guess that most of the people on Naxos' list are employed at music departments.)
"The public has got to stay in touch with the music of its time . . . for otherwise people will gradually come to mistrust music claimed to be the best."
--Viennese critic (1843)

Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not understood.
--Henry Miller

ravel30
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by ravel30 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:50 pm

Very interesting thread. I always wondered the same thing.

I really enjoy the wonderful cd of some chamber works by the latest Pullitzer award winner Jennifer Higdon.

Image

I'm not sure if she has a fan club here on CMG but if possible I would like to be the president of that fan club :D .

Matt

Donaldopato
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Donaldopato » Mon May 17, 2010 9:02 pm

We get to hear Ms. Higdon's "The Singing Rooms" a piece for Violin, Chorus and Orchestra this weekend with the KC Symphony and Jennifer Koh as solo violin. She has not composed a Symphony but her "blue cathedral", Concerto for Orchestra and Percussion Concerto are great pieces.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

ravel30
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by ravel30 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:08 pm

Donaldopato wrote: She has not composed a Symphony but her "blue cathedral", Concerto for Orchestra and Percussion Concerto are great pieces.
I know all these pieces and I second your comment about them. Strongly recommended to all.

Matt.

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by piston » Mon May 17, 2010 9:18 pm

some guy wrote:
Donaldopato wrote:Piston was always dismissed as "dryly academic".
This has been mentioned a couple of times recently on forums.

I wonder how that reputation ever got started. His music is so charming and ingratiating. Instantly likeable, I would have said. Maybe a little too lightweight is all. But certainly neither dry nor academic. (Whatever that's supposed to mean. Most composers have paying jobs, and mostly those jobs are at universities. I'd venture to guess that most of the people on Naxos' list are employed at music departments.)

Apparently, he wasn't that "dry" when immersed in Paris' night life. A very fine composer, indeed. Chamber music, concertos and symphonies are all worth a place in one's collection.

I read his biography some time ago and do recall that he felt especially disturbed by the critique that his music always sounded the same -- hear one symphony and you have heard them all type of comment.

On the other hand, he was not one to compose on the spur of the moment, following an inspiration. Most of his works were the products of commissions.
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

Jack Kelso
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Mannheim, Germany

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Jack Kelso » Wed May 19, 2010 9:00 am

piston wrote:
some guy wrote:
Donaldopato wrote:Piston was always dismissed as "dryly academic".
This has been mentioned a couple of times recently on forums.

I wonder how that reputation ever got started. His music is so charming and ingratiating. Instantly likeable, I would have said. Maybe a little too lightweight is all. But certainly neither dry nor academic. (Whatever that's supposed to mean. Most composers have paying jobs, and mostly those jobs are at universities. I'd venture to guess that most of the people on Naxos' list are employed at music departments.)

Apparently, he wasn't that "dry" when immersed in Paris' night life. A very fine composer, indeed. Chamber music, concertos and symphonies are all worth a place in one's collection.

I read his biography some time ago and do recall that he felt especially disturbed by the critique that his music always sounded the same -- hear one symphony and you have heard them all type of comment.

On the other hand, he was not one to compose on the spur of the moment, following an inspiration. Most of his works were the products of commissions.
He likely saved ideas and melodies on scraps of paper which he stuffed into a drawer (alla Richard Strauss!), just waiting for a commission to come along..

The very first Piston works I learned (I was 18) were "The Incredible Flutist" (including the barking dog at the end!!) and the highly melodic and exuberent Sixth Symphony. He, Copland and Mennin are probably overall my favorite 20th-century American composers.

I've also come to enjoy Chadwick's orchestral music, especially the 2nd and 3rd symphonies. The 2nd reminds one of Dvorak's 9th quite a bit....but was composed BEFORE the Dvorak, which probably means that Dvorak had heard it performed once.

Tschüß,
Jack
"Schumann's our music-maker now." ---Robert Browning

Wallingford
Posts: 4534
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:31 pm
Location: Brush, Colorado

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Wallingford » Wed May 19, 2010 12:01 pm

....and Naxos has done a very fine job of exploring MacDowell's work in more depth.

And now, Jack, we're eagerly waiting for your token tirade on the man.
If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon

some guy
Modern Music Specialist
Posts: 1625
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:00 am
Location: portland, or
Contact:

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by some guy » Wed May 19, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm always amazed at how many people who report loving The Incredible Flutist have only heard the suite.

There's a whole ballet out there. It's only been recorded once that I know of, but it's a fine recording, and it's full of some really splendid music that didn't make it to the suite.

This is the cover:

Image

As of this posting, Amazon US had nineteen available, starting at $4.74.

The suite is very nice. It was my first Piston, too. The ballet is more.
"The public has got to stay in touch with the music of its time . . . for otherwise people will gradually come to mistrust music claimed to be the best."
--Viennese critic (1843)

Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not understood.
--Henry Miller

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by piston » Wed May 19, 2010 12:31 pm

some guy wrote:I'm always amazed at how many people who report loving The Incredible Flutist have only heard the suite.

There's a whole ballet out there. It's only been recorded once that I know of, but it's a fine recording, and it's full of some really splendid music that didn't make it to the suite.

This is the cover:

Image

As of this posting, Amazon US had nineteen available, starting at $4.74.

The suite is very nice. It was my first Piston, too. The ballet is more.
Yes, I do have that 1976 recording. It's very close to twice the length of the suite.
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

Jack Kelso
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Mannheim, Germany

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Jack Kelso » Thu May 20, 2010 1:38 pm

Wallingford wrote:....and Naxos has done a very fine job of exploring MacDowell's work in more depth.

And now, Jack, we're eagerly waiting for your token tirade on the man.
I have absolutely nothing against MacDowell---he just doesn't impress me as much as some of his contemporaries.

His piano concerti and orchestral works are written in a contempory style consistent with that of Raff, who also composed some of the more interesting symphonic inspirations of the late 19-century. MacDowell impresses me somewhat less than Raff---but there are nonetheless some fine ideas there.

Tschüß,
Jack
"Schumann's our music-maker now." ---Robert Browning

RichardMitnick
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Highland Park, NJ
Contact:

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by RichardMitnick » Thu May 20, 2010 2:31 pm

For anyone interested in New Music, Naxos is now doing fulfillment for Innova http://innova.mu, The American Composers Forum.
Image
>>RSM
Image
Please visit my blog
"MusicSprings"
http://musicsprings.wordpress.com

Are you a cruncher? Please visit
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
http://boinc.berkeley.edu

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17659
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Chalkperson » Thu May 20, 2010 3:18 pm

Jack Kelso wrote:
Wallingford wrote:....and Naxos has done a very fine job of exploring MacDowell's work in more depth.

And now, Jack, we're eagerly waiting for your token tirade on the man.
I have absolutely nothing against MacDowell---he just doesn't impress me as much as some of his contemporaries.
I thought McDowell was really good in A Clockwork Orange... :mrgreen:
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

absinthe
Posts: 3586
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:13 pm
Location: UK

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by absinthe » Thu May 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Chalkperson wrote:
Jack Kelso wrote:
Wallingford wrote:....and Naxos has done a very fine job of exploring MacDowell's work in more depth.

And now, Jack, we're eagerly waiting for your token tirade on the man.
I have absolutely nothing against MacDowell---he just doesn't impress me as much as some of his contemporaries.
I thought McDowell was really good in A Clockwork Orange... :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Almost better than If....

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17659
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Chalkperson » Thu May 20, 2010 5:39 pm

absinthe wrote:
Chalkperson wrote:
Jack Kelso wrote:
Wallingford wrote:....and Naxos has done a very fine job of exploring MacDowell's work in more depth.

And now, Jack, we're eagerly waiting for your token tirade on the man.
I have absolutely nothing against MacDowell---he just doesn't impress me as much as some of his contemporaries.
I thought McDowell was really good in A Clockwork Orange... :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Almost better than If....
I went to a reading he did in New York about ten years ago, he read selections from the Book and did each of the characters different voices, and he told Stanley Kubrick stories in between the excerpts...it was really good... :D
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 17752
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Lance » Fri May 21, 2010 11:17 pm

Me ... I'm a big fan of Edward MacDowell. He did much for music and aspiring musicians and gave America some priceless solo piano music and two gorgeous piano concertos. Indeed, I have quite a number of Naxos's American Classics series and have greatly enjoyed most of them. Naxos has done a great service to American music with this series, which seems to be very active all around the world.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Heck148
Posts: 3515
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:53 pm
Location: New England

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Heck148 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:05 pm

I wanted to re-vitalize this thread -

I've been listening to alot of these Naxos releases recently - mainly the Schuman symphonies, but some of the Diamond syms as well.

overall - Schwarz/Seattle do OK with these works. not great, but certainly not bad...

when put up against the competition, say Bernstein/NYPO, they sound a little pale, but that doesn't mean they are terrible...
it's great that Delos/Naxos recorded so much American music, and released it in good sound, with decent performances...

I'm wondering if anyone has heard the Schwarz/Seattle Schuman Sym#3??

this is of course, a great piece - the greatest American symphony, IMO. the competition is indeed stiff - with Bernstein/NYPO producing two - CBS from 1960, and DG from 1985. the early one is a real classic - Slatkin/CSO recorded it also, from a live performance 1986, on archival set "CSO/20th Century"
Both recordings are superb - featuring great playing and inspired conducting of this masterpiece...this symphony requires major-league "chops" all the way, from the orchestra - same magnitude as Mahler, Strauss, Stravinsky, etc.

more later....

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by piston » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:35 pm

Heck148 wrote:I wanted to re-vitalize this thread -

I've been listening to alot of these Naxos releases recently - mainly the Schuman symphonies, but some of the Diamond syms as well.

overall - Schwarz/Seattle do OK with these works. not great, but certainly not bad...

when put up against the competition, say Bernstein/NYPO, they sound a little pale, but that doesn't mean they are terrible...
it's great that Delos/Naxos recorded so much American music, and released it in good sound, with decent performances...

I'm wondering if anyone has heard the Schwarz/Seattle Schuman Sym#3??

this is of course, a great piece - the greatest American symphony, IMO. the competition is indeed stiff - with Bernstein/NYPO producing two - CBS from 1960, and DG from 1985. the early one is a real classic - Slatkin/CSO recorded it also, from a live performance 1986, on archival set "CSO/20th Century"
Both recordings are superb - featuring great playing and inspired conducting of this masterpiece...this symphony requires major-league "chops" all the way, from the orchestra - same magnitude as Mahler, Strauss, Stravinsky, etc.

more later....
I have the early Bernstein, recorded on 10-17-60, along with his recordings of the fifth (10-20-66) and the eight (10-9-62). October was Schuman's month back then! Yes, the Schwarz does not quite measure up but it's a good backup.

Mention has been made of Albany records and rightfully so. I have run into their own youtube clips searching for certain works. They are using youtube as a promotional tool, uploading only one movement from each work. Their site now features over 50 uploads which include movements from Roy Harris' 11th symphony, Douglas Moore's 2nd, Effinger's Little Symphony, Don Gillis' 2nd, and Benjamin Lees' 2nd, in addition to many non symphonies.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AlbanyRecordsUSA#p/u
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

Heck148
Posts: 3515
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:53 pm
Location: New England

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Heck148 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:07 pm

piston wrote:I have the early Bernstein, recorded on 10-17-60, along with his recordings of the fifth (10-20-66) and the eight (10-9-62). October was Schuman's month back then! Yes, the Schwarz does not quite measure up but it's a good backup.
I'm comparing Schwarz/Seattle with the following:

#4 - Mester/LouisvilleOrch
#7 - Maazel/PittsSO

I have Ormandy/Phila for #6 - technically good, but seems pretty dry....
Bernstein for #8 - which is powerful...It took me awhile to connect with this work, but I'm glad I stayed with it.

Schwarz/Seattle for #s 9,10. both are quite good..I wish I had something else to compare....

with Harris - I just picked up the syms 5 and 6, on Naxos [Schwarz] the pieces don't send me too much [yet]. I've yet to hear any Harris symphonies that rival his #3.

Schwarz/Seattle produced a pretty good Diamond symphony series - but for #4 - Bernstein/NYPO just blows them away...Lenny and his gang really whip up a storm....
Last edited by Heck148 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donaldopato
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Donaldopato » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:40 pm

It would be great for Naxos to finish the Diamond series, there is only 1, 2, 3, 4, and 8 out of 11.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by piston » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Nobody talked about Creston. Not a bad symphonist, really.
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

Heck148
Posts: 3515
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:53 pm
Location: New England

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Heck148 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:54 pm

Donaldopato wrote:It would be great for Naxos to finish the Diamond series, there is only 1, 2, 3, 4, and 8 out of 11.
yes, for sure - Diamond #5 is very good - I have a tape of a CSO broadcast - Michael Morgan cond - 10/90 - very fine work.

I wish Naxos would finish the series

Jack Kelso
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Mannheim, Germany

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Jack Kelso » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:07 am

Some of my more recent purchases in this series:

Leroy ANDERSON - Orchestral Music 4 (incl. "Irish Suite" and other charming works) (8.559381)

CHADWICK - Overtures and Tone Poems with the late great Kenneth Schermerhorn and the Nashville Sym. Orch. Some fabulous music and music-making here! (8.559117)

Ferde GROFE - Death Valley Suite, Hudson River Suite, Hollywood Suite - nice stuff for a light evening, played by the wonderful Bournemouth Sym. Orch. (8.559017)

Judith Lang ZAIMONT - not as yet totally digested, but I can note that she has an emotional approach to atonal music. (8.559619)

Tschüß,
Jack
"Schumann's our music-maker now." ---Robert Browning

Donaldopato
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: NAXOS American Classics series

Post by Donaldopato » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:01 pm

Jack Kelso wrote:Some of my more recent purchases in this series:

Leroy ANDERSON - Orchestral Music 4 (incl. "Irish Suite" and other charming works) (8.559381)

CHADWICK - Overtures and Tone Poems with the late great Kenneth Schermerhorn and the Nashville Sym. Orch. Some fabulous music and music-making here! (8.559117)

Ferde GROFE - Death Valley Suite, Hudson River Suite, Hollywood Suite - nice stuff for a light evening, played by the wonderful Bournemouth Sym. Orch. (8.559017)

Judith Lang ZAIMONT - not as yet totally digested, but I can note that she has an emotional approach to atonal music. (8.559619)

Tschüß,
Jack
The Grofé disc is great fun, there is a second one too with other suites including the popular Grand Canyon Suite and the spectacular "Niagara Falls Suite"". What a master of the orchestra he was.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests