What are YOU listening to today?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Donaldopato

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Donaldopato » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:27 am

Fergus wrote:
Donaldopato wrote: Go raibh maith agat Seán.

(did I say that right?)
Spoken (written) like a true native....the entire Irish contingent is highly impressed Don :D

As Sean knows, I am full Irish on my mother's side, a Cloney. This is from my "cheat sheet" of Irish phrases. My Grandmother used them now and then, and some others which I wished I had remembered, but as a kid was not allowed to! :wink:
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Seán

Post by Seán » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:41 am

Donaldopato wrote:
Fergus wrote:
Donaldopato wrote: Go raibh maith agat Seán.

(did I say that right?)
Spoken (written) like a true native....the entire Irish contingent is highly impressed Don :D

As Sean knows, I am full Irish on my mother's side, a Cloney. This is from my "cheat sheet" of Irish phrases. My Grandmother used them now and then, and some others which I wished I had remembered, but as a kid was not allowed to! :wink:
WOW, Don, you will put alot of Irish people to shame, well done. 8) Any chance of your getting me a family discount on a pair of System Audio speakers by any chance? :)
Oh yes, be careful "a full Irish" here refers to a breakfast and could mean a plate of sausages, bacon and eggs, etc. :lol:
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán

Post by Seán » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:48 am

Fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote: I was about to post pretty much the same sentiments :lol:

Mackerras' Brahms is a wonderful thing - I took a whle to gel with Brahms and his orchestral works, and I can't help but think that if I had heard Mackerras first (rather than Karajan or Abbado for example) it may have been an immediately gratifying introduction :)
The old adage "Great minds think alike; fools seldom differ" springs to mind....I can only assume that we both fit into the first category Darren :lol: :lol:
Yes you do! :wink:
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán

Post by Seán » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:51 am

Fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
CharmNewton wrote:Image
....If I can get a copy of the entire set at a reasonable price I'll snap it up...
That cycle should be in every (Mahler) collection :wink:
My New Year resolution? Carry on as I did in 2010 and complete the Solti/CSO Mahler cycle too. :D
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:59 am

Franz Schubert
Sonata in B flat major D 960

Wilhelm Kempff piano.

I have listened to this piece several times over the past two days and when I have finished it I always listen to the first movement a second time, it is a beautifully intelligently constructed piece of music and, I feel, is a complete piece in it's own right. This is great music. I have been so absorbed by Beethoven this year that I hadn't even considered Schubert's sonatas.
Thanks to Matt for bringing this to my attention in the first place.
Perhaps I will get the Radu Lupu recordings early in the New Year.
Seán

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:39 am

Donaldopato wrote: As Sean knows, I am full Irish on my mother's side, a Cloney. This is from my "cheat sheet" of Irish phrases. My Grandmother used them now and then, and some others which I wished I had remembered, but as a kid was not allowed to! :wink:
What a pity....I always feel that language is the essence of a culture.

Do not be shy about throwing in the odd cúpla focail here and there :D

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:40 am

Seán wrote:
Fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote: I was about to post pretty much the same sentiments :lol:

Mackerras' Brahms is a wonderful thing - I took a whle to gel with Brahms and his orchestral works, and I can't help but think that if I had heard Mackerras first (rather than Karajan or Abbado for example) it may have been an immediately gratifying introduction :)
The old adage "Great minds think alike; fools seldom differ" springs to mind....I can only assume that we both fit into the first category Darren :lol: :lol:
Yes you do! :wink:
Flattery will get you everywhere my friend :lol:

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:42 am

Seán wrote: My New Year resolution? Carry on as I did in 2010 and complete the Solti/CSO Mahler cycle too. :D
I will be watching you....remember you, me and that Bertini cycle :roll: :lol:

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:43 am

Seán wrote:Image
That one is high on my Wish List for the New Year :wink:

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:44 am

Mozart – Piano Concertos 23, 24 & 26....

Lovely, lyrical playing from Curzon with nice, sensitive orchestral accompaniments.

A big thank you to Jared for persisting with this recommendation to me :wink:

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:46 am

OK, I am signing off now for the rest of the year. I trust that you will all behave yourselves tonight :lol:

I would like to take this opportunity to wish all CMGers a Happy and a Healthy New Year :D :D

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:14 am

Franz Schubert

Wilhelm Kempff piano.

I have listened to this piece several times over the past two days and when I have finished it I always listen to the first movement a second time, it is a beautifully intelligently constructed piece of music and, I feel, is a complete piece in it's own right. This is great music. I have been so absorbed by Beethoven this year that I hadn't even considered Schubert's sonatas.
I recently listened the the Perahia recording and can highly recommend that also :)

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:20 am

Fergus wrote:
Donaldopato wrote: As Sean knows, I am full Irish on my mother's side, a Cloney. This is from my "cheat sheet" of Irish phrases. My Grandmother used them now and then, and some others which I wished I had remembered, but as a kid was not allowed to! :wink:

Actually, I was referring to my Grandmother's rather colorful vocabulary. When she would get mad, she'd frequently go off in Irish Gaelic and I am sure the words would not be suitable to print here, not even in the Pub! :lol:
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Seán

Post by Seán » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:53 am

Fergus wrote:
Seán wrote: My New Year resolution? Carry on as I did in 2010 and complete the Solti/CSO Mahler cycle too. :D
I will be watching you....remember you, me and that Bertini cycle :roll: :lol:
Indeed I do, it was a case of Bertini for slow learners. :wink:
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:56 am

Donaldopato wrote:
Fergus wrote:

Actually, I was referring to my Grandmother's rather colorful vocabulary. When she would get mad, she'd frequently go off in Irish Gaelic and I am sure the words would not be suitable to print here, not even in the Pub! :lol:
An Irish Grandmother in angry flight is indeed a terrifying sight. I cannot imagine an Irish lady swearing, however, she might have brought the fires of hell down on all insundry. :twisted:
Seán

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:28 am

Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.1 (Paul Lewis/Jiri Belohlavek, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Harmonia Mundi) below

Ravel - Violin Sonata (Arthur Grumiaux/Istvan Hajdu, Philips Eloquence)

Sibelius - 'Valse Triste' (Daniel Barenboim, West-Eastern Divan Orchestra, Warner Classics)

Tchaikovsky - Symphony No.5 (Daniel Barenboim, West-Eastern Divan Orchestra, Warner Classics)

Verdi - 'La Forza del Destino - Overture' (Daniel Barenboim, West-Eastern Divan Orchestra, Warner Classics)

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

mcq wrote:
josé echenique wrote:
mcq wrote:
josé echenique wrote:
Fergus wrote:
josé echenique wrote:Image

Who says old dogs can´t learn new tricks?
Well, well, well....that is certainly intruiging!!! How does it sound José?
I don´t know yet Fergus, since it will be released in February, but it´s already been ordered of course!
But you can´t help admiring Abbado for keeping up with the times. He knows it´s just not possible to keep performing Baroque Music as Klemperer and I Musici did 50 years ago.
I have these performances on DVD and they are quite simply fantastic. Chamber-sized band of modern instruments with period manners. Warm-hearted, fresh and vibrant performances that fully deserve a separate release on CD (where they will hopefully receive a wider audience).
I knew of the dvds but so far they are available only in PAL.
But are you sure they are modern instruments? I would be very surprised. The Mozart Orchestra so far has only recorded in period instruments, Pergolesi and Mozart, and Giuliano Carmignola has become the new dandy of period violinists.
As far as I'm aware, most of the musicians play modern instruments. There are exceptions: violas de gamba make an appearance in Concerto 6, Jacques Zoon plays a wooden flute in Concerto 5 and Carmignola uses a baroque bow. (He's also the only one that doesn't use a chin rest.) However, I believe the strings used are modern steel ones. The complete performance is on YouTube so please let me know if I'm mistaken. It's still great music-making.
I asked a friend who plays the baroque violin and obviously knows about period performance practice better than I do to check on YouTube, and he believes they comfortably can be called "period instruments". He says the chin rests are irrelevant to describe a performance as baroque or modern, some violinists use them others don´t, but that´s unimportant for the period sound, the important thing is the bowing and the articulation, and the Mozart Orchestra is safe on that department. And even though the YouTube sound is not perfect, he believes all the strings use gut, in fact he says it would be ridiculous for Carmignola to use gut and the others don´t.
Last edited by josé echenique on Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaestroDJS
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by MaestroDJS » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:52 am

Hector Berlioz (1803-1869), France: Les Troyens, Opéra en cinq actes et neuf tableux {The Trojans, Opera in five acts and nine tableux}. Jon Vickers, Tenor; Josephine Veasey, Mezzo-Soprano; Berit Lindholm, Soprano; Peter Glossop, Baritone. Wadsworth School Boys' Choir; Chorus and Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden; Sir Colin Davis, conductor.

I'm not an opera fanatic, but many of the composers I like wrote operas, so I do enjoy them. This ginormous opera is perfect for a day off. Funny I should be listening to a French opera while reading a German book. Might as well find a bowl of Spanish peanuts. Par for the course considering how mixed up I've been over the last few days. ;)

David Stybr, Personal Assistant and Der Webmeister to Denise Swanson, New York Times Best-Selling Author
http://www.DeniseSwanson.com
~ Devereaux's Dime Store Mysteries ~ Book 2: Nickeled-and-Dimed to Death, March 2013
~ Scumble River Mysteries ~ Book 15: Murder of the Cat's Meow, October 2012
Penguin ~ Obsidian ~ Signet, New York, New York

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:20 am

Sort of a Beethoven mood recently:

Beethoven Symphony # 2 and 4
Cluytens, BPO EMI

ContrapunctusIX

Post by ContrapunctusIX » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:54 am

Stravinsky: Rite of Spring; Violin Concerto; Symphonies of Wind Instruments; Zvezdolikiy
Philharmonia Orchestra & Robert Craft
Jennifer Frautschi, violin (Concerto)
Naxos

mcq

Post by mcq » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:01 pm

Thanks for clarifying that, Jose (with regard to Abbado's set of the Brandenburgs). I thought that, even though the musicians were adhering to period performance practice, modern instruments were being employed, but I stand corrected. However, it almost seems quaint in 2010/11 to be talking about "period performance practice". I think that such period practice has been so well assimilated by today's musicians that many modern players can incorporate historically-informed practices on their modern instruments. And some of the best recent recordings of Romantic repertoire - for example, Harnoncourt's Beethoven - has shown us that this need not be limited to Baroque music. Personally speaking, it's very hard to go back to the homogeneity of Karajan's BPO strings after hearing such an approach to this great music.

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:22 pm

Now on to some more Beethoven:

Symphonies 7 and 1
Ferencsik Hungarian Philharmonic

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:54 pm

J.S. Bach - Magnificat (Nancy Argenta/Patrizia Kwella/Charles Brett/Anthony Rolfe Johnson/David Thomas/John Eliot Gardiner, Monteverdi Choir/English Baroque Soloists, Philips) below

Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.2 (Paul Lewis/Jiri Belohlavek, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Harmonia Mundi)

Grieg - Violin Sonata No.3 (Augustin Dumay/Maria Joao Pires, DG)

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:01 pm

mcq wrote:Thanks for clarifying that, Jose (with regard to Abbado's set of the Brandenburgs). I thought that, even though the musicians were adhering to period performance practice, modern instruments were being employed, but I stand corrected. However, it almost seems quaint in 2010/11 to be talking about "period performance practice". I think that such period practice has been so well assimilated by today's musicians that many modern players can incorporate historically-informed practices on their modern instruments. And some of the best recent recordings of Romantic repertoire - for example, Harnoncourt's Beethoven - has shown us that this need not be limited to Baroque music. Personally speaking, it's very hard to go back to the homogeneity of Karajan's BPO strings after hearing such an approach to this great music.
That´s exactly what I often say here. The all-purpose Karajan sound, magnificent for the late Romantics won´t do for Haydn and Mozart, let alone Bach or Vivaldi.
Abbado has had the sense and sensibility to realize the obvious: that Bach and Mozart sound much better in the instruments of their time. Bravo Claudio!!!

premont

Post by premont » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:10 pm

josé echenique wrote:
mcq wrote:Thanks for clarifying that, Jose (with regard to Abbado's set of the Brandenburgs). I thought that, even though the musicians were adhering to period performance practice, modern instruments were being employed, but I stand corrected. However, it almost seems quaint in 2010/11 to be talking about "period performance practice". I think that such period practice has been so well assimilated by today's musicians that many modern players can incorporate historically-informed practices on their modern instruments. And some of the best recent recordings of Romantic repertoire - for example, Harnoncourt's Beethoven - has shown us that this need not be limited to Baroque music. Personally speaking, it's very hard to go back to the homogeneity of Karajan's BPO strings after hearing such an approach to this great music.
That´s exactly what I often say here. The all-purpose Karajan sound, magnificent for the late Romantics won´t do for Haydn and Mozart, let alone Bach or Vivaldi.
Abbado has had the sense and sensibility to realize the obvious: that Bach and Mozart sound much better in the instruments of their time. Bravo Claudio!!!
Maybe, but not all the instruments used in Abbado´s Brandenburgs are period. The horns, the trumpet and the oboe´s are definitly modern instruments. I have not studied the strings sufficiently to tell, but as I own the DVD release, I shall do so later.

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:41 pm

Sort of like Loren Maazel http://www.classicalmusicguide.com/view ... 10&t=37694I am indulging in the 9 Symphonies this NYE:

Beethoven 3 and 8
Vanska Minnesota Orchestra BIS

Beethoven 5
Cantelli New York Philharmonic 2/21/54

Beethoven 6
Bernstein New York Philharmonic

Beethoven 9
Von Karajan Berlin Philharmonic 1962

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:05 pm

Ziehrer - Overture to "Der schone Rigo" (Pollack/Marco Polo)
Mahler - Das klagende Lied (MTT/RCA)

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:48 pm

Mozart - Piano Concerto No.23 (Friedrich Gulda/Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Warner Apex)

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:20 pm

premont wrote:
josé echenique wrote:
Maybe, but not all the instruments used in Abbado´s Brandenburgs are period. The horns, the trumpet and the oboe´s are definitly modern instruments. I have not studied the strings sufficiently to tell, but as I own the DVD release, I shall do so later.
You are quite correct, the trumpet, the horns and the oboe are definitely modern, I just saw the video a few minutes ago. I think my friend violinist meant only the violins. Very strange because the Mozart Orchestra so far in their Archiv recordings uses 100% period instruments. I even think Carmignola apart, most of the players are different too. They do, however, articulate in period manner. I wonder if the DG recording is going to be the soundtrack of the video or they are going to rerecord them with the original "period" Mozart Orchestra.

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:28 pm

A long time favorite recording of Strauss waltzes with superb playing from the Chicago Symphony and the inimitable conducting of Fritz Reiner.

Happy New Year!!!!

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:19 pm

Another Reiner favorite recording, recently re-issued in the U.K. at mid-price. This Living Stereo mastering improves on earlier issues and reveals the color and richness of the CSO strings and winds. Magnificent brass playing.

John

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:18 pm

karlhenning wrote:
Prometheus wrote:Shostakovich-Songs-Delos.
I haven't heard that volume; but the volume I have heard (vol. 3, 1922-1942) is excellent!

Cheers,
~Karl
This is the only volume I have as well. It is quite good! It appears there are 5 volumes in total.

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:21 pm

Fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
CharmNewton wrote:
....If I can get a copy of the entire set at a reasonable price I'll snap it up...
I only have the 1st and 8th from that cycle. I have heard good things about it, but it is out of print and rather expensive. Hopefully it will be reissued one day. :)

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:25 pm

Wagner-Das Rheingold-Solti-Decca.

Listened to this and followed along with the libretto. Sound is excellent and having a libretto makes everything better after the Bohm set not including one. :)

Image.

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:31 pm

Prometheus wrote:
Fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
CharmNewton wrote:
I only have the 1st and 8th from that cycle. I have heard good things about it, but it is out of print and rather expensive. Hopefully it will be reissued one day. :)
Hard to believe, but 2012 will mark the centennial year of Solti's birth. I expect some big boxes to be available, probably re-mastered to boot.

John

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:24 am

bombasticDarren wrote:

Franz Schubert

Wilhelm Kempff piano.

I recently listened the the Perahia recording and can highly recommend that also :)
Thank you very much for that Darren as I really do like Perahia's playing quite a lot :D

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:27 am

Donaldopato wrote: Actually, I was referring to my Grandmother's rather colorful vocabulary. When she would get mad, she'd frequently go off in Irish Gaelic and I am sure the words would not be suitable to print here, not even in the Pub! :lol:
Good for her....she was delving deep to express her true feelings :lol:

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:28 am

Seán wrote:Indeed I do, it was a case of Bertini for slow learners. :wink:
Although I am an early riser I can be a late developer :roll:

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:31 am

Restoring calm after the storm of last night I listened to JSB – Cantatas BWV41 & BWV143 for New Year’s Day....

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:27 am

JSB – Christmas Oratorio Part 4....

I feel that this is a particularly beautiful section of this work.

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:29 am

I recently got to listen to parts of the recording below and I was well impressed....

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:42 am

Fergus wrote:I recently got to listen to parts of the recording below and I was well impressed....

Oh, I didn't realise that you had that, I'm a bit surprised actually as it is probably a big band approach. That said, I do really like Chailly and the Gewandhausorchester is a fabulous orchestra.
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:46 am

Johann Sebastian Bach
Christmas Oratorio Part 4

Bach Collegium Japan
Masaaki Suzuki - conducting

This is gorgeous early morning listening, sheer joy.
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:49 am

The New Year's Day concert from Vienna on the beautiful BBC, our national broadcaster has stopped broadcasting this wonderful event. :x
It was a very good concert, the performances of the music by Liszt very particularly enjoyable.
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:00 am

Donaldopato wrote:Sort of like Loren Maazel http://www.classicalmusicguide.com/view ... 10&t=37694I am indulging in the 9 Symphonies this NYE:

Beethoven 3 and 8

Beethoven 5

Beethoven 6

Beethoven 9
That was some task that you set for yourself, Don, did you complete it?
Seán

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:13 am

Mussorgsky - 'Pictures at an Exhibition' (Riccardo Muti, The Philadelphia Orchestra, EMI)

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:07 am

Franz Joseph Haydn
Symphony No. 45

Tafelmusik
Bruno Weil - conducting.

Bidding a fond farewell - or rather good riddance - to 2010, the Tafelmusik (or Truffles as Chalkie calls them) and a lovely version of Haydn's 45th. I always love to listen to the second movement in particular as it is an enchanting piece of music.
Seán

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:50 am

Seán wrote:
Donaldopato wrote:Sort of like Loren Maazel http://www.classicalmusicguide.com/view ... 10&t=37694I am indulging in the 9 Symphonies this NYE:

Beethoven 3 and 8

Beethoven 5

Beethoven 6

Beethoven 9
In addition to those, I did the 1 and 7 with Ferencsik, and 2 and 4 with Cluytens.

Yes, I did finish the whole cycle. I saved the 9th for about 10:30PM and thus, like Maestro Maazel, got them all in by midnight. I think my task was easier!

Today it is the Fleisher/Szell/Cleveland Piano Concerto cycle.

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:55 am

To start 2011.

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:03 am

Donaldopato wrote:
Seán wrote:

Beethoven 3 and 8

Beethoven 5

Beethoven 6

Beethoven 9
In addition to those, I did the 1 and 7 with Ferencsik, and 2 and 4 with Cluytens.

Yes, I did finish the whole cycle. I saved the 9th for about 10:30PM and thus, like Maestro Maazel, got them all in by midnight. I think my task was easier!

Today it is the Fleisher/Szell/Cleveland Piano Concerto cycle.
Well done, it's a lovely mix too. I'm delighted to see that you have Vänskä up there in the same company as Cluytens, von Karajan and Bernstein. I have to confess that I am not familiar with Cantelli.
Surely a traversal of the Beethoven Piano Concerto cycle would not be complete without some music from the Perahia/Haitink/Concertgebouw performances?
Seán