Lance's program, Sat., Dec. 3, 2011-Charles Mackerras, cond.

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Lance's program, Sat., Dec. 3, 2011-Charles Mackerras, cond.

Post by Lance » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Sir Charles Mackerras, conductor

Dear friends of CMG:

On Saturday, December 3, 2011, at 7:00 p.m. Eastern time, I offer a tribute to the American-born British-Australian conductor Sir Charles Mackerras. While born in the USA in Schenectady, New York on November 17th, 1925, soon after his birth, his parents returned to Australia, which he always called his "homeland" inasmuch as both his parents were Australian. Mackerras died in London on July 14th, 2010 at the age of 84. The oboe was his instrument though he studied piano and composition in New South Wales. He was principal oboist with the Sydney Symphony between 1943 and 1946 and eventually took up permanent residence in London, England. Mackerras spent much time as a principal guest conductor with many orchestras. Early on, however, he received a scholarship to study with Vaclav Talich who brought the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra to internationally known heights. Mackerras's performances/recordings of Czech music are particularly noteworthy. The list of orchestra he led are too many to list here. Opera was an imporant part of the Mackerras career. He debuted at Covent Garden in 1963, led the Hamburg State Opera for almost five years, gave his Metropolitan Opera debut in 1972. As late as 1993, Mackerras was principal guest conductor of the San Francisco Orchestra.

Here is a listing of repertoire to be heard on this broadcast, with only two selections fitting the allotted time:

Arthur Sullivan: Di Ballo Overture w/Philharmonia Orchestra (r.1982, Decca)
Dvorak: Symphony No. 7 in D Minor, Op. 70 w/London Philharmonic Orchestra (r.1991, EMI)

Click on this link to take you directly the the broadcast:

http://wpel.streamon.fm/player/streampl ... 32k&type=1

The program can be heard anywhere in the world if your computer is equipped with speakers and you adjust your time schedule to equate to 7:00 p.m. Eastern time.

I hope you will enjoy the program on Saturday, December 3, 2011 featuring conductor Sir Charles Mackerras, which is now heard across the world via the Internet. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Seán

Re: Lance's program, Sat., Dec. 3, 2011-Charles Mackerras, c

Post by Seán » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:08 pm

Lance, I am very fond of Charles Mackerras work, I thought that you might have been tempted to include some Czech music in your broadcast as that seems to have been hugely important to him, in any event I'm really looking forward to the program, thanks Lance.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Lance wrote:

Dvorak: Symphony No. 7 in D Minor, Op. 70 w/London Philharmonic Orchestra (r.1991, EMI)
I have that recording so I can afford to miss this particular broadcast and get some sleep :D

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:26 pm

Fergus wrote:
Lance wrote:

I have that recording so I can afford to miss this particular broadcast and get some sleep :D
It is a very fine recording too :D

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:56 pm

bombasticDarren wrote:
Fergus wrote:
Lance wrote:

It is a very fine recording too :D
I bought that CD (which also contains No. 9 as you know) along with its companion, No. 8, many years ago now when all that I wanted of Dvorak was Symphonies 7-9. They have served me well.

Agnes Selby
Author of Constanze Mozart's biography

Post by Agnes Selby » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:24 am

Thank you, Lance for a most enjoyable program.

I would like to add a little information. Sir Charles attended Sydney Grammar School
which is Sydney's most academic private school for boys. His brother served as the
school's headmaster for many years. Sydney Grammar was very fortunate as
Sir Charles conducted the school orchestra every time he returned to Sydney.

We have a personal connection to Sir Charles as our grandson attended Sydney Grammar
and received the Sir Charles Mackerras Prize in Music when he graduated high school.

Regards,
Agnes.

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:49 am

Agnes Selby wrote:I would like to add a little information. Sir Charles attended Sydney Grammar School
which is Sydney's most academic private school for boys. His brother served as the

We have a personal connection to Sir Charles as our grandson attended Sydney Grammar
and received the Sir Charles Mackerras Prize in Music when he graduated high school.

Regards,
Agnes.
What a lovely connection with no doubt many treasured memories as well :D

John F

Post by John F » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:47 am

Charles Mackerras made many notable recordings, but the one I most associate him with is the Pye recording of Handel's Royal Fireworks Music in its original all-winds scoring - 26 oboes, 16 bassoons, 9 each trumpets and horns, a serpent... It makes an bold, exciting, amazing noise. Mackerras rerecorded it for EMI later, but the result is smoother and tamer. The LP jacket said they had to assemble the oboists of all of London's orchestras and hold the sessions after midnight, when the concerts and operas of the day were over. YouTube doesn't have it, but I'm happy to see that it's been reissued on Testament. If you don't already have it, do yourself a favor and get it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Royal-Firew ... 726&sr=1-1

You can get an idea of the sound from the clips for this alternate issue of the same recording. Don't miss track 5, from "La Réjouissance" (the tracks are mislabeled):

http://www.amazon.com/Handel-Music-Roya ... 726&sr=1-3
John Francis

Agnes Selby
Author of Constanze Mozart's biography

Post by Agnes Selby » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:02 am

Fergus wrote:
Agnes Selby wrote:I would like to add a little information. Sir Charles attended Sydney Grammar School

Regards,
Agnes.
What a lovely connection with no doubt many treasured memories as well :D
Thank you, Fergus! Nicholas played the trumpet in the school orchestra.
Sir Charles' conducting will not only be a happy memory for Nicholas but for all
the boys who took part in such a wonderful experience.

Regards,
Agnes.