2012 Michael Feinstein Lecture/Recital: The Gershwins

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Tarantella

2012 Michael Feinstein Lecture/Recital: The Gershwins

Post by Tarantella » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:32 am

I stumbled across this BRILLIANT lecture/recital entitled, "The Gershwins: Preserving An American Cultural Legacy", from 2012. I found it absolutely wonderful and Feinstein is a superb artist of talent, humour and loads of panache. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaHjwRn_5NA

lennygoran

Re: 2012 Michael Feinstein Lecture/Recital: The Gershwins

Post by lennygoran » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:44 am

Tarantella wrote: Feinstein is a superb artist of talent, humour and loads of panache. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did:
Sue he's done a series for several years on PBS called the American Songbook--some great interviews--he goes all over collecting old records and speaking to experts on the subject--it's a nice mix of material.

http://www.michaelfeinsteinsamericansongbook.org/

Regards, Len

Tarantella

Post by Tarantella » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:24 am

Thanks for that link, Len. I absolutely ADORE this music and have done so since I was a kid. And I relate to Michael's comments in the lecture about being a teenager and more interested in Gershwin and Tin Pan Alley than I was with my peers and their ephemeral culture!! My mother played this music on the piano and I grew up with it.

As I write this I'm listening to Feinstein singing "The World is Mine" by the Gershwin Brothers...."it's a grand and glorious feeling to be living...every day's that holiday they call Thanksgiving"!!

Yes, that's how it makes me feel.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:44 am

Tarantella wrote: Yes, that's how it makes me feel.
Sue that's great--exactly how I feel when listening to Rossini! :mrgreen: Today we go to Brooklyn to join friends to celebrate Thanksgivukkah. Regards, Len

Tarantella

Post by Tarantella » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:19 pm

I'm glad you respond to music the same way as I do - with passion and love!! And I hope you had a lovely dinner with Sue and your friends.

This morning I'm enjoying some satire with my breakfast cereal; and wouldn't the RUSSIANS have hated this, the wonderful music and satirical lyrics of Cole Porter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VQFFioaL3g

And, of course, not forgetting the elegant orchestrations of Conrad "Connie" Salinger!!

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:08 am

Tarantella wrote:I'm glad you respond to music the same way as I do - with passion and love!! And I hope you had a lovely dinner with Sue and your friends.

This morning I'm enjoying some satire with my breakfast cereal; and wouldn't the RUSSIANS have hated this, the wonderful music and satirical lyrics of Cole Porter:
Sue thanks it was a lovely Thanksgiving other than the traffic on the Staten Island Expressway. :(
Did justice to the food--more than justice if you know what I mean--wow was I ever stuffed. On Siberia the Siberia I want to see is what Giordano thought was his opera masterpiece--I love the music but I guess I'll never get to see it. :( On Giordano later this season we'll be seeing one of my favorite operas at the Met--his Andre Chenier. Regards, Len

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberia_%28opera%29