What are you listening to? Jazz, World, New Age, Rock, etc.

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

piston

Re: What are you listening to? Jazz, World, New Age, Rock, e

Post by piston » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:03 pm

The ever totally amazing Macy Gray
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

BWV 1080

Post by BWV 1080 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:52 pm

been listening to the great German technical death metal band Necrophagist

the musicianship is great and love all the diminished harmonies along with the lilting vocals

piston

Post by piston » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Mix Africa, France, and America and you get the bilingual, multicultural, artistry of Melissa N'Konda:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21NYo61E3M4
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

Seán

Post by Seán » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:42 pm

On the TT:

Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

piston

Post by piston » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:25 pm

Bruno Mars (aka, Peter Gene Hernandez), born and raised in Hawaii , Locked out of Heaven:

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:26 pm

THis weekend and next, I'll be hearing, out of morbid curiosity, veteran deejay Casey Kasem's yuletide edition of American Top 40 (which by now has been emaciated to Top 10), in which "the 60 greatest Christmas hits of all time" are presented, with copious extras inbetween, making for a total of some 80 songs. Astonishing but not surprising, how many worthless pop Christmas songs have been penned these last three decades....ah well, I only hear this to placate the musicologist in me......
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:44 pm

Happy birthday to Frank Zappa!

Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:59 pm

The Blind Boys of Alabama, “Last Month of the Year”
Miles Davis & Jn Coltrane, “Two Bass Hit”
Charles Mingus, “Boogie Stop Shuffle”
Count Basie, “Flight of the Foo Birds”

Cheers,
~Karl
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts

Mark Harwood

Post by Mark Harwood » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:13 am

Don't know a lot about Charles Mingus, but as a Joni Mitchell fan I find this one intriguing.
"I did it for the music."
Ken Colyer

Mark Harwood

Post by Mark Harwood » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:00 pm

Wore out the vinyl, now hearing this in its glory.

Ken Colyer

piston

Post by piston » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:15 pm

Mika Pojohla, one of Finland's most famous current composers. His jazz music is classical; his classical music is jazzy.

piston

Post by piston » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:55 pm

The "titanic" force of flamenco music, Paco de Lucia and his band, in a youtube video downloaded less than two years ago, with over half a million views and 428 comments:

Mark Harwood

Post by Mark Harwood » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:08 pm

I've recently binged on Jefferson Airplane and Yes, also Trout Mask Replica.
Perhaps there's not a lot there to interest a Classical music listener.
But now I'm immersed in Joni Mitchell's recordings. Many of them show evidence of genius. She's also one of those artists whose output adds up to a larger narrative. This is a long way beyond the usual craft of song-making. Smarter folks than me will find plenty to chew on if they choose to investigate her early-1970s albums.
Ken Colyer

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:25 pm

Finally heard for the very first time, John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band LP.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

SONNET CLV

Post by SONNET CLV » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:35 pm

I've been working my way through the box sets issued as "The Complete Remastered Recordings on Black Saint & Soul Note" of which I've picked up twenty-two to date. The series is stunning, especially if one has a penchant for avant-garde jazz; I find the "remastered" recordings sound vivid and I've not encountered a weak moment sonically. Still, much of this is acquired taste. I acquired the taste from earlier having heard the three Black Saint/Soul Note "Critics' Pick Sampler" discs. What I was sampling today was the album Vertical Form VI from the 9 disc GEORGE RUSSELL collection, BSX 1005. Glorious stuff!

Though I'm known to most as "a classical guy", I have long treasured experimental music and the avant-garde, whether from the classical ("serious"), jazz, or rock/pop fields. There's a lot of "freaky" music on my record/CD/tape shelves, and I love it all.

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Thu May 15, 2014 9:40 pm

Paul McCartney's Flaming Pie
--Sir Thomas Beecham

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:27 am

This week, my daily obsession has been an evening's listen to The Black Saint & the Sinner Lady.

Cheers,
~k.
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts

piston

Post by piston » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:59 pm

Kate_C.

From the mundane to the diverse and everything betwixt...

Post by Kate_C. » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:14 am

The prior post regarding BB King, albeit it temporally remote, provides a providential nexus with my bump (resurrection) of this thread...yet bear with me!

Fascinating, but a 5 month void seems excessive for even a CM site! In November 2013, following nearly 2 years of exclusive Grateful Dead patronage and while amassing almost the entirety of their commercial catalogue (it's huge, by the way), as well as scores of favored SBD and dozens of otherwise exclusive AUD recordings, I began a search for music of the compositional and executional complexity to rival the profound satisfaction yielded by the GD's quantum approach.

Funny, I guess this is by way of personal introduction to y'all. Anyhow, I'd an 8th grade Lit prof who declared that Shakespeare and Classical Music were largely wasted on anyone under 30....this message reverberated with me, but it wasn't until I was on the doorstep of my 3rd decade incarnate that I gave practice to these sanguine words. Indeed, if the Dead's prodigious live performance history (i.e., 2,300+ shows) is an ocean of artistic discovery, then the library of Classical interpretations is a veritable cosmos! Yikes.

Jeez, how did I get here? Lord, this really is the wrong thread...but much of my trouble communicating with others is often grounded in the complexity and diversity, yet subjectively perceived connectivety, of my internal thoughts. So, the Dead opened the door to Classical, which led to the realization that, by and large - for my tastes, at least, any music worth listening to, is worth hearing live.

To jump any number of discoveries from Canned Heat to Ten Years After, Zep, and Floyd let me address my latest nonClassical obsession (and in so doing, harmonize my post with the current thread): The Rolling Stones. I recollect purchasing vinyl copies of "Sticky Fingers" and "Goat's Head Soup" at a yard sale when in college, but never gave Mick-n-Company much thought aside from occasional listens thereof. Recently, my predatory appetite for vintage LIVE rock-n-rolla grew restless and I began checking out stage performances by the RS; Wow! Within the last couple weeks I've snapped up the deluxe release of Ya-Yas, The Brussels Affair, and Live '75 (LA Forum), which grip me in a way that the studio releases haven't.

This isn't anything new, as "Celebration Day", then a domino sequence of bootlegs beginning with "Destroyer", brought me around to the greatness of Zep, as did the recent spate of Doors's releases (Felt Forum, Detroit, Boston, Vancouver, Hollywood Bowl) open my eyes to their epic historical stature.

Okay, while sludging through the ice, snow, and mud over the last few day's worth of trail runs, here's what I've been listening to on the Ipod:

"board quota reached" again?!

Ah well: http://johannasvisions.com/wp-content/u ... y_1975.jpg

http://static.musictoday.com/store/band ... CDRS02.JPG

http://www.somvinil.com.br/wp-content/u ... Affair.jpg

Okay, once again it's late and the pool beckons early...so, goodnight and, by the way, the tie-in with BB King is the live set contained on the Deluxe edition of Ya-Ya's (along with a performance by Ike-n-Tina)/peace, Kate

Kate_C.

Weir Everywhere

Post by Kate_C. » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:43 am

Okay, it's 0130 EST so I've likely just heard a rerun segment, but while covering some NCAAM action from last night, ESPN's Neil Everett just cited a passage from Hunter's lyrics to St. Stephen when describing a turnover and resulting basket: "one man gathers what another man spills"....just too darn cool!/peace, K

Kate_C.

Post by Kate_C. » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:06 am

Credit to poster Modern's clearly unintended power of suggestion in another thread that I ended up listening to - what I consider - the Pistol's quintessential release, "Spunk", on the ipod while running this afternoon. And what a miserable affair the trail continues to be with about 6 inches of wet compact snow still on the ground causing 5 miles to require the same time for completion as 7 would under normal conditions. Yet(!), with Rotten's alternatively ironic, sarcastic, sardonic, and genuinely outraged voice in my ears, the plodding effort was sustainable to finish.

Understandably, there's likely not much of an interested audience here, but the following is arguably the greatest track laid down by the genre's seminal act...just listen to the band's spiritual investiture to this version of Cook's song "No Fun" - by the end Rotten's voice is flayed and I share what must be his physical and emotional exhaustion after this epic rendition.

Moreover, "Spunk" documents the preeminent performance what's almost indisputably the Pistol's most famous tune, "Anarchy in the UK" (it's the first of 2 versions on the album (#6)):

peace, K

piston

Post by piston » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:36 pm

I'm listening to Louis Armstrong cracking the Iron Curtain, performing in East Berlin in 1965, all 1:49:46 of it, and it's fantastic! What a showman!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okYPiP7K8OQ

piston

Post by piston » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:01 pm

Lennon, jr.:

piston

Post by piston » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:45 pm

Her world. Her right to burn the candle at both ends:

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:20 pm

Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Kate_C.

Subsistence Fare

Post by Kate_C. » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:06 am

Of course, I'm discovering most of my favoured music retrospectively, which involves significant time exploring the social, cultural, and artistic terrain of 1966-1980ish (Big Beatles to Prime Punk via Pullulating Psychedelia and Maturing Metal); however, amongst rock's fertile epoch, I'm increasingly convinced that the utterly unique garage band; nihilistic; protopunk; bare bonz; avant garde; and Beat poetical sounds of the VU are not only an indispensable component of my library, but greater personal identity as well. Heroin, indeed. In a relatively short period I've vacuumed up pretty much the whole catalogue, with the 45th anny S.D. release of their eponymous album being the crown jewel./Sunday peace, K

[as with just about any performer[s] I find worth their salt, the true magic of the Underground transpires onstage]

Kate_C.

Post by Kate_C. » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:32 pm

extraordinary run during a remarkable year, especially the second show on the ever-ominous-sounding 22nd of November ... 2nd set Halley's>Tweezer>BE Katy>Piper>Antelope // encore Bouncing>Tweezer Reprise (!) is a 73-minute wash / rinse / spin / and tumble dry cycle that'll leave your sense of hope and optimism stain-free, softened, and sweet smelling; just like yer fave Garanimals after lovingly laundered by mum.../p, K

Not very challenging, but an accessible excerpt from that lovely litany:

BWV 1080

Re: Subsistence Fare

Post by BWV 1080 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:48 pm

Kate_C. wrote:Of course, I'm discovering most of my favoured music retrospectively, which involves significant time exploring the social, cultural, and artistic terrain of 1966-1980ish (Big Beatles to Prime Punk via Pullulating Psychedelia and Maturing Metal); however, amongst rock's fertile epoch, I'm increasingly convinced that the utterly unique garage band; nihilistic; protopunk; bare bonz; avant garde; and Beat poetical sounds of the VU are not only an indispensable component of my library, but greater personal identity as well. Heroin, indeed. In a relatively short period I've vacuumed up pretty much the whole catalogue, with the 45th anny S.D. release of their eponymous album being the crown jewel./Sunday peace, K

[as with just about any performer[s] I find worth their salt, the true magic of the Underground transpires onstage]
Never more in evidence than in this very rare lost recording:

BWV 1080

Post by BWV 1080 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:13 pm

The new Sunn O))) is really good

LSAmadeus

Post by LSAmadeus » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:27 am

Last night I discovered this. Wow what an album. It must have been mind blowing at the time of release!

'An artist must have the freedom to express himself' - Edward Weston

LSAmadeus

Post by LSAmadeus » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:31 am

BWV 1080 wrote:The new Sunn O))) is really good

Interesting!

Kate_C.

Re: What are you listening to? Jazz, World, New Age, Rock, etc.

Post by Kate_C. » Wed May 10, 2017 5:48 pm

​​

​Virginity lost is virginity irredeemable. However, the Plangent transfer of the original Betty Board reels mastered in HD by J.Norman likely facilitate the closest thing to that 'first time' feeling for which I could have hoped after shacking up with the commonly circulated SBD copies of 5/5,7-9/77 over the last couple years.

LSAmadeus

Post by LSAmadeus » Tue May 16, 2017 5:01 pm

BB King, the Definitive Hits. May he continue to rest in peace.

Kate_C.

Post by Kate_C. » Sat May 27, 2017 11:20 pm

The 2004 reunion tour was a window to the alchemic magic of the late 80s, but the closing December shows were clearly a rising cream...I own 12/12...utterly magnificent...

​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTvj-3AhXfs

This isn't it, but close enough...holy Shi'ite, do I miss Kim D.

Velvets & Pixies. Even my beloved Dead don't breach this upper strata of musical genius./K

LSAmadeus

Post by LSAmadeus » Mon May 29, 2017 3:15 pm

Kate_C. wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 11:20 pm
The 2004 reunion tour was a window to the alchemic magic of the late 80s, but the closing December shows were clearly a rising cream...I own 12/12...utterly magnificent...

​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTvj-3AhXfs

This isn't it, but close enough...holy Shi'ite, do I miss Kim D.

Velvets & Pixies. Even my beloved Dead don't breach this upper strata of musical genius./K
That link doesn't work!

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:47 pm

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio - Live at the Misty
Three Blind Mice Records 1974

John Lewis - The John Lewis Piano Atlantic Jazz

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun May 05, 2019 7:47 am

Listened on vinyl, not on YT. The LSO rocks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywtV_dGwThU

TOMMY (as performed by the London Symphony Orchestra & Chambre Choir):

“Overture” London Symphony Orchestra
“It’s A Boy” Sandy Denny
“1921” Graham Bell/Steve Winwood/Maggie Bell/Roger Daltrey
“Amazing Journey” Pete Townshend
“Sparks” London Symphony Orchestra
“Eyesight to The Blind” Richie Havens
“Christmas” Steve Winwood/Roger Daltrey
“Cousin Kevin” John Entwistle
“The Acid Queen” Merry Clayton
“Underture” London Symphony Orchestra
“Do You Think It’s Alright?” Maggie Bell/Steve Winwood
“Fiddle About” Ringo Starr
“Pin Ball Wizard” Rod Stewart
“There’s A Doctor I’ve Found” Steve Winwood
“Go To The Mirror Boy” Richard Harris/Roger Daltrey/Steve Winwood
“Tommy Can You Hear Me?” Maggie Bell
“Smash The Mirror” Maggie Bell
“I’m Free” Roger Daltrey
“Miracle Cure” Chambre Choir
“Sensation” Roger Daltrey
“Sally Simpson” Pete Townshend
“Welcome” Roger Daltrey
“Tommy’s Holiday Camp” Ringo Starr
“We’re Not Gonna Take It” Roger Daltrey
“See Me, Feel Me” Roger Daltrey

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun May 05, 2019 10:02 am

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun May 05, 2019 3:27 pm

The great Neil Young in his prime. I am going thru my late friend and brother-in-law's collection of some 1,500 folk/rock LPs.

Tonight's the Night (1975)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 5cD_iIq_k-

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun May 05, 2019 8:46 pm

I absolutely love Neil Young!! I had this album in the 1970s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V51Itpvc1Pw

There's something about Young's intonation...!!!

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon May 06, 2019 4:51 am

Ode to his Automobile on the Stills/Young duo album, Long May You Run (1976):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVM8_jAL86w

I am lucky my friend and brother by law gave me nearly all of Young's pre-1976 catalog on LP vinyl and I am listening or re listening to all of it. It holds up well after 40+ years.

As in his earlier, now famous song "Ohio" on the Kent State shootings May 4, 1970, Neil Young can be heard as either topical . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkg-bzTHeAk

. . . or prophetic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4kTnP5VJ1k

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon May 06, 2019 1:26 pm

Jackson Browne - The Pretender (1976)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gPQtj_Nx0Hg

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed May 08, 2019 1:19 am

Fotheringay, with Sandy Denny

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pDMKNv8l2KM

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed May 08, 2019 2:05 am

Yes: Close to the Edge (1972) — vinyl

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GNkWac-Nm0A

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed May 08, 2019 7:45 am

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun May 12, 2019 3:01 am

Sandy Denny - the solo LP's she released after leaving Fairport Convention

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun May 12, 2019 8:07 am

The superb John Wilson Orchestra at the Proms, 2017. "Oklahoma" in an edited, original score. This orchestra is absolutely fabulous!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBccEsqAOaY

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun May 12, 2019 11:26 am

1. Chicago Transit Authority - self-titled debut release on Columbia (1969)
2. Santana's first two albums; Santana (1969) and Abraxas (1970)
3. Crosby & Nash; Wind On The Water (1975)

Abraxis, featuring the 1961 painting Annunciation by Mati Klarwein.
Last edited by jserraglio on Mon May 13, 2019 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun May 12, 2019 12:51 pm

Jackson Browne

7 of his classic albums on vinyl, released in the pre-CD era 1972-83.

Jackson Browne (1972)
For Everyman (1973)
Late for the Sky (1974)
The Pretender (1976)
Running on Empty (1977)
Hold Out (1980)
Lawyers in Love (1983)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=78AVc2jV4 ... l&index=10

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon May 13, 2019 11:31 am

ROGER DALTRY & RICK WAKEMAN

LISZTOMANIA