Box: Beethoven cycle/Klemperer 60, Brahms cycle/Kempe 75-6

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

stevewright

Box: Beethoven cycle/Klemperer 60, Brahms cycle/Kempe 75-6

Post by stevewright » Fri May 22, 2015 3:05 am

Any opinions on this? Seems well-reviewed (and I have read praise of Kempe's Brahms - though for his BPO cycle, not Munchner).
It's also, well, affordable shall we say.
Thanks!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Br...s=brahms+kempe

david johnson

Re: Box: Beethoven cycle/Klemperer 60, Brahms cycle/Kempe 75

Post by david johnson » Fri May 22, 2015 3:10 am

nothing showed when I clicked your link :(

stevewright

Post by stevewright » Fri May 22, 2015 5:05 am

david johnson wrote:nothing showed when I clicked your link :(
Oops, sorry. How is this? Won't let me add a picture at the mo.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Brahm ... ahms+kempe

John F

Post by John F » Fri May 22, 2015 7:38 am

The Klemperer/Beethoven recordings are not EMI's studio versions but public performances given in Vienna in 1960. Haven't heard any of them. Klemperer was a manic-depressive, a severe case, and as such he was unpredictable. When in a manic state, he was quick and careless with rehearsals and the performances sometimes suffered; when depressive, he worked more carefully. The customer reviews on amazon.com are favorable, for what that's worth.
John Francis

stevewright

Post by stevewright » Fri May 22, 2015 8:10 am

John F wrote:The Klemperer/Beethoven recordings are not EMI's studio versions but public performances given in Vienna in 1960. (...) The customer reviews on amazon.com are favorable, for what that's worth.
Thanks! Yes, they are favourable, as is this:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/c ... CD1252.htm

I'd be very interested in hearing any views on this Brahms/Kempe/Munchner cycle before putting my hand in my virtual pocket...
Thanks!
S

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri May 22, 2015 12:16 pm

Do you already have this very excellent set?

A superb set, with the exception of a badly executed 9th.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri May 22, 2015 12:48 pm

I've not heard this particular set, but I must caution you that Klemperer, to my knowledge, never mastered the Beethoven Ninth, so that would discourage me. You can do far better with HVK's early DGG set for the same price:

As for Brahms, Solti/Chicago would be my recommendation for n additional fiver:

Seán

Post by Seán » Fri May 22, 2015 2:16 pm

maestrob wrote:I've not heard this particular set, but I must caution you that Klemperer, to my knowledge, never mastered the Beethoven Ninth, so that would discourage me. You can do far better with HVK's early DGG set for the same price:

It's marvellous, I wouldn't be without it.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

barney

Post by barney » Fri May 22, 2015 10:20 pm

I "learnt" the Beethoven symphonies with Klemperer and the Phil - the studio version. I still love them, though I don't listen very often. He took a marvellously magisterial and architectural view, but was regarded as slow even then. By today's standards he is often glacial.

premont

Post by premont » Sat May 23, 2015 9:32 am

RebLem has reviewed the Klemperer live Beethoven recordings from Vienna on the last page of the What are you listening to thread.

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Sat May 23, 2015 2:14 pm

John F wrote:The Klemperer/Beethoven recordings are not EMI's studio versions but public performances given in Vienna in 1960. Haven't heard any of them. Klemperer was a manic-depressive, a severe case, and as such he was unpredictable. When in a manic state, he was quick and careless with rehearsals and the performances sometimes suffered; when depressive, he worked more carefully. The customer reviews on amazon.com are favorable, for what that's worth.
I have just finished listening to this set, spread over 5 different listening sessions. You can read them in the "What have you been listening to today?" thread. Generally, my reviews have been favorable; this is one of the great sets, but I did note a few disappointments.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Sat May 23, 2015 2:16 pm

premont wrote:RebLem has reviewed the Klemperer live Beethoven recordings from Vienna on the last page of the What are you listening to thread.
TY, Premont. :D
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.