Revealing Trump interview...

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

piston

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by piston » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:05 am

He's at it again, against Megyn Kelly, whose only fault is to have returned to her job after a short vacation. He's provoking her, like a HS bully, calling her a "bimbo" once again, etc. This last example of Trump's incivility shows how much his so-called anti-p.c. campaign is based on hatred and vindictiveness. Imagine how rapidly rednecks and bigots, under his leadership, would resume the old ways ("N" word for Blacks, "S" word for Native Americans, a flood of verbal and physical abuse against strong women, etc.). Of course, that's what the core of his supporters want!:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/25/politics/ ... index.html
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:11 am

Yeah he's breaking all the rules and seems to be getting away with it-funny just this week I had DVRed and watched a show on CNN about Morton Downey Jr-anything went on his show-funny at one point it showed a younger Trump greeting Downey at Trump Tower. Regards, Len :(

http://www.cnn.com/shows/evocateur-mort ... y-jr-movie

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:51 am

piston wrote:He's at it again, against Megyn Kelly, whose only fault is to have returned to her job after a short vacation. He's provoking her, like a HS bully, calling her a "bimbo" once again, etc. This last example of Trump's incivility shows how much his so-called anti-p.c. campaign is based on hatred and vindictiveness. Imagine how rapidly rednecks and bigots, under his leadership, would resume the old ways ("N" word for Blacks, "S" word for Native Americans, a flood of verbal and physical abuse against strong women, etc.). Of course, that's what the core of his supporters want!:
It's not what they want, but keep on believing it and keep on saying it like so many others are. I don't think it will work and may even backfire.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

piston

Post by piston » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:26 pm

Also referring to Trump as a bully, Ailes is asking him to back off from his unjustified attacks on an excellent journalist. The battle with Fox :!: is on:
Here’s the full statement from Ailes:

Donald Trump’s surprise and unprovoked attack on Megyn Kelly during her show last night is as unacceptable as it is disturbing. Megyn Kelly represents the very best of American journalism and all of us at FOX News Channel reject the crude and irresponsible attempts to suggest otherwise. I could not be more proud of Megyn for her professionalism and class in the face of all of Mr. Trump’s verbal assaults. Her questioning of Mr. Trump at the debate was tough but fair, and I fully support her as she continues to ask the probing and challenging questions that all presidential candidates may find difficult to answer. Donald Trump rarely apologizes, although in this case, he should. We have never been deterred by politicians or anyone else attacking us for doing our job, much less allowed ourselves to be bullied by anyone and we’re certainly not going to start now. All of our journalists will continue to report in the fair and balanced way that has made FOX News Channel the number one news network in the industry.

And Trump’s full response, via Politico:

I totally disagree with the FOX statement. I do not think Megyn Kelly is a quality journalist. I think her questioning of me, despite all of the polls saying I won the debate, was very unfair. Hopefully in the future I will be proven wrong and she will be able to elevate her standards to a level of professionalism that a network such as FOX deserves.

More importantly, I am very pleased to see the latest polls from Public Policy Polling showing me at a strong number one with 35% in New Hampshire, the Monmouth University poll showing me, again at number one, with 30% in South Carolina and the latest national poll from Gravis where I am again the clear front runner with 40%. It was also just announced that I won the prestigious corn kernel poll at the Iowa State Fair by a landslide. I will be in Iowa tonight with my speech being live on CNN and other networks. My sole focus in running for the Presidency is to Make America Great Again!
Rwetmore's position here (this is all "b.s.") is fundamentally the same as with his views on climate change: don't trust the media, any media, is equal to don't trust the scientists, nearly all of them.
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

Agnes Selby
Author of Constanze Mozart's biography

Post by Agnes Selby » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:38 pm

How can this be happening? How can a clown like Trump(et) even aspire
to be President and is it possible that so many Americans would vote for him?

piston

Post by piston » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:03 pm

He is attempting to draw listeners away from Megyn Kelly and, by extension, from that FOX show, and by extrapolation, from all news shows that will criticize his past (which is not a problem to anyone who says we shouldn't trust the media).

Why the support? I suggest to you, Agnes, that there are many different reasons behind that support --economic protectionism (popular, but damaging to all multinational corporations and national companies seeking exports, hence to the stock market, and consequently to our pension funds), isolationism (the guaranteed outcome of unilateral foreign "negotations"), mass deportation of "unwanted" immigrants because they're too Spanish for our anglophone culture and could potentially upset the electoral status quo in many red states, etc. I continue to believe that Trump's blunt ways of dealing with probing questions about himself are also popular because, as a role model, he can legitimize bigotry, mysogyny, xenophobia.

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:01 am

piston wrote:Also referring to Trump as a bully, Ailes is asking him to back off from his unjustified attacks on an excellent journalist. The battle with Fox :!: is on:
Here’s the full statement from Ailes:

Donald Trump’s surprise and unprovoked attack on Megyn Kelly during her show last night is as unacceptable as it is disturbing. Megyn Kelly represents the very best of American journalism and all of us at FOX News Channel reject the crude and irresponsible attempts to suggest otherwise. I could not be more proud of Megyn for her professionalism and class in the face of all of Mr. Trump’s verbal assaults. Her questioning of Mr. Trump at the debate was tough but fair, and I fully support her as she continues to ask the probing and challenging questions that all presidential candidates may find difficult to answer. Donald Trump rarely apologizes, although in this case, he should. We have never been deterred by politicians or anyone else attacking us for doing our job, much less allowed ourselves to be bullied by anyone and we’re certainly not going to start now. All of our journalists will continue to report in the fair and balanced way that has made FOX News Channel the number one news network in the industry.

And Trump’s full response, via Politico:

I totally disagree with the FOX statement. I do not think Megyn Kelly is a quality journalist. I think her questioning of me, despite all of the polls saying I won the debate, was very unfair. Hopefully in the future I will be proven wrong and she will be able to elevate her standards to a level of professionalism that a network such as FOX deserves.

More importantly, I am very pleased to see the latest polls from Public Policy Polling showing me at a strong number one with 35% in New Hampshire, the Monmouth University poll showing me, again at number one, with 30% in South Carolina and the latest national poll from Gravis where I am again the clear front runner with 40%. It was also just announced that I won the prestigious corn kernel poll at the Iowa State Fair by a landslide. I will be in Iowa tonight with my speech being live on CNN and other networks. My sole focus in running for the Presidency is to Make America Great Again!
Well, I certainly do think it was an unfair question, but then again one should expect some unfair questioning, especially if a Republican, when running for President. There is no doubt though that the question posed to Trump by her during the debate was a direct attack on him, so he's attacking back. That's his style, but I think he would be better off moving on from this whole Megyn Kelly thing. It's gotten kind of silly and pointless, IMO.
piston wrote:Rwetmore's position here (this is all "b.s.") is fundamentally the same as with his views on climate change: don't trust the media, any media, is equal to don't trust the scientists, nearly all of them.
When it comes to 'climate change', the media has no clue. That is, they really don't know anything. I pity anyone that relies on the media for any information regarding the 'climate change' issue. My views are based on actually looking at and processing the evidence myself and not blindly trusting scientists who have a glaring conflict of interest in keeping this whole 'climate' thing going as long as possible.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:26 am

Agnes Selby wrote:How can this be happening? How can a clown like Trump(et) even aspire
to be President and is it possible that so many Americans would vote for him?
Because he's not really a clown at all. If you can't see and/or deduce that, then you're asleep at the wheel as many people seem to be. There is genuine widespread support for the things and issues he's advocating (and has been for a long time), and this is why he's resonating so big despite his untraditional and/or somewhat 'clownish' style. There is a massive disconnect out there between the voter and the politicians in power. By and large, people feel cheated and scammed by the political establishment and think the system as it's been utilized by them is broken beyond repair from within.

I know, I've talked to many people of various political persuasions and I'm always curious what they have to say and what they think. Most people who vote Democrat surely wouldn't if they actually knew what the party was really about and trying to do. I note also that most of them also often complain about taxes being too high and that they don't want to pay taxes, which is how I know for sure that they're duped. They've bought into the notion that the Republicans are for the rich and don't care about the poor and the middle class. Meanwhile, they've spent their whole lives voting for people who have continually raised their taxes and opposed those who would want to lower them (or at least not raise them).

Most people who vote Republican are dissatisfied too, since most Republicans are not fiscally conservative and are only somewhat less liberal than most Democrats. That is, they cave to the media and other pressures that true conservatives wouldn't. Hence the inflating budgets in Washington even when Republicans are in power.

So there are a lot of dissatisfied people out there who will vote for Trump if for no other reason than to protest the political establishment. Many of them are people who don't usually vote due to discontent with the status quo, BTW.
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

John F

Post by John F » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:47 am

Agnes Selby wrote:How can this be happening? How can a clown like Trump(et) even aspire to be President and is it possible that so many Americans would vote for him?
In this country, anybody can aspire to be president, and Trump is by no means the least likely to put himself forward for election. Consider Barack Obama.

No Americans have voted yet for Donald Trump or anybody else. Polls are not elections, and responses to pollsters asking questions are not votes, they are mere expressions of opinion. It's a long, long way from here to November 2016, and if Donald Trump is then the Republican nominee, I'll rejoice, because that will surely guarantee a Democrat victory and the U.S. will have its first woman president. :D
John Francis

Auntie Lynn

Post by Auntie Lynn » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:01 am

How can a nattering twit like Agnes Selby think she has anything to say about American politics??? I seem to recollect that when they built that Sydney Opera House, it had no bathrooms. Good luck with that...!!

John F

Post by John F » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:14 am

Manners, manners. Agnes wasn't saying, she was asking, as she has every right to do.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:18 pm

John F wrote:Manners, manners. Agnes wasn't saying, she was asking, as she has every right to do.
I remember "please, please, please" from Lance! This is a kind of tactic Trump uses! At least to my knowledge no one's been called a bimbo yet--I added this last attack from her to the long dossier! Regards, Len :(

Auntie Lynn

Post by Auntie Lynn » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:27 pm

Best thing to come out of Australia was Fosters and Anzac hats...

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:50 pm

Latest CNN interview of Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eDRhcUZtWw
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:28 pm

Trump takes questions from voters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn8ggNY1b2M
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:38 pm

Trump confronted on immigration issue by Jorge Ramos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7_HaEOIJhM
Last edited by rwetmore on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:05 pm

lennygoran wrote:
John F wrote:Manners, manners. Agnes wasn't saying, she was asking, as she has every right to do.
I remember "please, please, please" from Lance! This is a kind of tactic Trump uses!
Yes! Anyone who disagrees with me is a nattering twit! Isn't that convenient?

Cheers,
~k.
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

piston

Post by piston » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:55 pm

karlhenning wrote:
lennygoran wrote:
I remember "please, please, please" from Lance! This is a kind of tactic Trump uses!
Yes! Anyone who disagrees with me is a nattering twit! Isn't that convenient?

Cheers,
~k.
But it is completely consistent with Trump's character and manners.

At war with another network today, the Spanish-speaking Univision network...

Agnes Selby

Post by Agnes Selby » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:36 pm

Auntie Lynn wrote:How can a nattering twit like Agnes Selby think she has anything to say about American politics??? I seem to recollect that when they built that Sydney Opera House, it had no bathrooms. Good luck with that...!!
Really. "A Nattering twit"? This is not part of this conversation and neither is the Sydney
Opera House which indeed had bathrooms designed by a world-famous architect.
Look it up before you "natter" yourself. It may stop you from being so rude.

piston

Post by piston » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:07 pm

Another explanation, Agnes, based on the most recent Pew research. Their data reveal that dissatisfaction with both political parties, normally found among "independents," has sharply risen in the last few months among "Republicans" and, particularly, among "independent leaning Republicans." This graph tells it all:

What happened beginning last January?! One especially controversial recent development is same-sex marriage. And it's a topic the Republican "establishment" did not fight hard against.

What does it have to do with Trump's views? Nothing. He hasn't expressed anything on same-sex marriage. It's a "populist" movement that is just now adhering to Trump's political discourse because he says whatever crosses his mind and they like that.

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:55 am

But what's the reason for Republican dissatisfaction? I think you're mistaken if you think it's due to Trump.
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

Agnes Selby

Post by Agnes Selby » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:06 pm

piston wrote:Another explanation, Agnes, based on the most recent Pew research. Their data reveal that dissatisfaction with both political parties, normally found among "independents," has sharply risen in the last few months among "Republicans" and, particularly, among "independent leaning Republicans." This graph tells it all:

What happened beginning last January?! One especially controversial recent development is same-sex marriage. And it's a topic the Republican "establishment" did not fight hard against.

What does it have to do with Trump's views? Nothing. He hasn't expressed anything on same-sex marriage. It's a "populist" movement that is just now adhering to Trump's political discourse because he says whatever crosses his mind and they like that.
----------------

The same sex marriage debate is threatening to bring down the present Australian leadership in Government. Mr. Abbott our Prime Minister is a devout Catholic and will not comply. So we shall
see what will happen.

Regards,
Agnes.

piston

Post by piston » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:46 pm

A bit of humor on this sad topic:

Auntie Lynn

Post by Auntie Lynn » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:42 pm

What this country needs is more Melania Trumps and fewer beaners and greasers feeding at the public trough...

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:11 am

- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:22 am

piston wrote:A bit of humor on this sad topic:
"Anchor Bimbos"!

Cheers,
~k.
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

Auntie Lynn

Post by Auntie Lynn » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:19 am

As usual, the whole point is being missed here. Melania is LEGAL. She runs a business, employs
people and makes beautiful things. Compare that with the human scum breaking across the
borders here (and elsewhere). And do you seriously think The Donald would look twice at some
completely uninformed old hag bag who calls him a clown?? (I think that’s really what’s at work
here)... The reality is: nobody cares about any other candidate...

John F

Post by John F » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:53 am

I don't think The Donald would look even once at any woman who isn't a beauty queen. Here is Melania Trump:

As for "running a business" and "making beautiful things," I note that this only began five years after she married him. There's nothing to it if you have a billionaire husband to back you. At the time they met, she was a glamour model; now she's his latest trophy wife.

The immigrants that Trump and you disparage do real work, hard work, work you would probably consider beneath you, and Trump seems to consider beneath contempt. The two of you ought to be ashamed.
John Francis

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:52 pm

rwetmore wrote:Trump confronted on immigration issue by Jorge Ramos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7_HaEOIJhM
BTW, did anyone watch this? I thought Trump was incredibly patient with this guy who was egregiously rude and unreasonable.
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:03 pm

Latest Trump Press Conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsWonZRmlg
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

piston

Post by piston » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:21 pm

I don't know, Auntie Lynn, if he deserves to be called a clown (do publicity stunts qualify as clownish, such as when he postured as meeting with Putin?). But I do know that, notwithstanding his present charisma with a certain portion of discontented Republicans, he does lack political knowhow. Making fun of Asian accents in English when Asian-Americans are one of the fastest growing electoral cohorts in the country is not clownish; it's plain dumb! Attacking Hispanics, left and right, when they are an electoral force to be reckoned with in decades to come, is political stupidity. Trimming his support among the nation's veterans by stating that POWs are not winners, is more evidence of a lack of political acumen. Obsessing over a female journalist's assertiveness when he has been known to be disrespectful of women in his recent past amounts to more shooting oneself in the foot.

Don't tell me that The Donald is a wise political candidate when he keeps attacking so many groups of potential supporters. He's riding a wave of populist support which, he feels, entitles him to belittle anyone who dares to challenge his image and extremely spotted personal historical record. And, politically speaking, he may not be a clown but he certainly is stupid when he alienates so many potential voters.

I do believe that he's doing serious damage to the Republican Party because of his incivility and lack of political acumen.

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:53 am

piston wrote:I don't know, Auntie Lynn, if he deserves to be called a clown (do publicity stunts qualify as clownish, such as when he postured as meeting with Putin?). But I do know that, notwithstanding his present charisma with a certain portion of discontented Republicans, he does lack political knowhow. Making fun of Asian accents in English when Asian-Americans are one of the fastest growing electoral cohorts in the country is not clownish; it's plain dumb! Attacking Hispanics, left and right, when they are an electoral force to be reckoned with in decades to come, is political stupidity. Trimming his support among the nation's veterans by stating that POWs are not winners, is more evidence of a lack of political acumen. Obsessing over a female journalist's assertiveness when he has been known to be disrespectful of women in his recent past amounts to more shooting oneself in the foot.

Don't tell me that The Donald is a wise political candidate when he keeps attacking so many groups of potential supporters. He's riding a wave of populist support which, he feels, entitles him to belittle anyone who dares to challenge his image and extremely spotted personal historical record. And, politically speaking, he may not be a clown but he certainly is stupid when he alienates so many potential voters.

I do believe that he's doing serious damage to the Republican Party because of his incivility and lack of political acumen.
This analysis suggests you aren't making your assessment by actually watching and listening what Trump says and does, but rather what the media and left wing sources are telling you he says and does. I'm actually watching entire speeches, full press events, and full interviews, and I'm not seeing any of this at all.

Of course, you're free to think whatever you want or make any analysis you want, but I think you're fooling yourself quite a bit. Moreover, if you want and expect Trump to be defeated, it's much better to be honest about what he's saying and doing, because the voting public will likely see through phony allegations and character assassinations. And as I've said, it may even backfire since so many people are fed up with such....
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:20 pm

- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:48 pm

Thomas Sowell -- Border Policy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvOJ7oiYf60
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:06 pm

Latest Trump campaign event (he talks about the NY Times front page article on him):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTMn49vZjxY
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

piston

Post by piston » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:27 pm

It's a good thing that he "likes the pope," even though the pope is "getting political" about capitalism. One wonders, though, if the pope's ideas about the mass movement of political, economic, and environmental refugees today do not correspond to Trump's immigration idea (I hesitate to use the plural here), what the real estate king is going to say about him. Thus far, Trump has treated any critic as dirt ("stupid," "perv," menstruating, etc.). The moment he faces any opposition, the opponent is dehumanized. And this is the guy who first based his platform on the statement that all politicians in Washington, D.C., are "stupid," "incompetent," "corrupted," "ignorant."

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:59 am

Now he's found a new target-Clinton's long time aid! Huma Abedin. Regards, Len :(

piston

Post by piston » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:11 am

Reputable American historians speak about Trump from their respective historical perspectives. Many emphasize the latent racism, overt xenophobia, and, especially, white supremacy of this movement:

Garry Wills, professor of history emeritus at Northwestern University, Pulitzer Prize-winning author and contributor to the New York Review of Books:
[...] What people rarely mention with Trump is that, in the right-wing dismay at having a black president and attorney general, racists can huddle under the vaguer appeals of Trump. Ken Burns is one of the few who have publicly recognized that Trump is the voice of the new white supremacists. Burns rightly says that Trump’s long and continuing challenge to President Obama’s birth certificate was code language for “nigger.” Same with the attack on Hispanic immigrants. People who say Trump is appealing to people with legitimate grievances have fallen for his con. His real support comes from the vast pool of racists out there. That’s what reminds me of Wallace.
David Blight, professor of American history at Yale University
But Trump is also a very modern current creation of the Republicans themselves. If you ply the muddy waters of racism, xenophobia, hatred of government and the public sector, as well as rule by a 1 percent, long enough, you are eventually going to create a Frankenstein of your own making in your own midst. As long as that monster has enough confidence and stamina to just keep punching you in the face for the fun of it. In Trump, we have a 1-percenter who will stick his finger in everyone’s eye. Some people love watching that show.
[...] Trump doesn’t really have a politics of ideology; his closest effort at ideology is that he is all about white resentment. Such a stance has a long and successful history in our politics. His populism is about personality and entertainment; people who “follow” him attach to him their own ideologies. He is a monster bred by the white people’s party, the Republicans, of the past two to three decades. And he is also an invention of reality television and social media.
Lewis Gould, emeritus professor of American history at the University of Texas
The key to Trump’s appeal, beyond his white power flirtation with noxious racism, is his television career. Long ago, Gore Vidal opined that television is a barrel that has no bottom to it, and others said the most predictable thing about television is that it is worse every year than the one before. Thus, Trump’s antecedents are such less well-known figures as Arthur Godfrey and Elia Kazan’s Lonesome Rhodes in “A Face in the Crowd.”
Jacqueline Jones, professor and chair of the history department at the University of Texas and author, most recently, of the Pulitzer Prize finalist A Dreadful Deceit: the Myth of Race from the Colonial Era to Obama’s America:
[...] In breaking with conventions of civil discourse to label immigrants murderers and rapists, and to call politicians “stupid,” Trump echoes figures such as Mississippi Governor James K. Vardaman, governor and U.S. senator from the state in the early 20th century. Vardaman made a career of denigrating African Americans in the most shocking way, and approving of lynching (a form of domestic terrorism) to thwart black aspirations and ambitions. Today, Trump appeals to only a small proportion of the American electorate, but social media amplifies his outrageous statements, delighting not only his followers but also the editors, reporters, talk-show hosts and bloggers who crave a good story, especially a sordid one with a long, if less than honorable, history.
Jeremy Mayer, associate professor in the School of Policy, Government, and International Affairs at George Mason University
[...]Finally, the area of Trump’s appeal that has the most resonance in American history is his nativism/populism. We have seen a lot of that in our long electoral history, from the Know Nothings to George Wallace. Trump’s implicit racial appeal, to kick the brown immigrants out and to replace that incompetent black man in the White House, is vivid enough to help explain his surging popularity. Put an old rich white guy back in charge, one who is not afraid to tell the truth to those uppity minorities. People forget how well Wallace did in a lot of Midwestern and Northern primaries in 1964 and in the general election of 1968.
Two historians also draw a close parallel with Henry Ford:

David Greenberg, associate professor of history and of journalism and media studies at Rutgers University
Many Americans looked to Ford as a fount of old-fashioned common sense, but his off-the-cuff expressions of contempt and anti-intellectualism—“History is bunk” was his most famous aphorism—also revealed an ugly side. His foolhardiness was exposed when he sued the Chicago Tribune in 1919 for calling him ignorant, and the paper’s lawyers quizzed Ford on basic facts of American history, which he couldn’t answer. The Revolution, he said, occurred in 1812; Benedict Arnold was “a writer, I think.” Yet legions of Americans continued to root for him, some of them celebrating his defiant contempt for education. Eventually Ford would permanently tarnish his reputation when his newspaper, the Dearborn Independent, began promulgating rank anti-Semitism, publishing, for example, the slanderous forgery The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, as well as an anti-Semitic series called The International Jew. Next to that raw sewage, Trump’s noxious comments about Mexicans and women look downright civil.
Michael Kazin, professor of history at Georgetown University, co-editor of the website Dissent and author, most recently, of American Dreamers: How the Left Changed a Nation
Ford, like Trump, was a fabulously wealthy and famous businessman with a penchant for making controversial political statements that kept him in the news. As a pacifist, during World War I, he declared, “To my mind, the word ‘murderer’ should be embroidered in red letters across the breast of every soldier.” Then, in the early 1920s, his newspaper, the Dearborn Independent, published vicious anti-Semitic documents, which the industrialist vigorously defended.
Ford, like Trump, also moved back and forth between the major parties. In 1918, he was the Democratic candidate for a Senate seat in Michigan and probably would have won if he had bothered to spend any money or campaign for himself. In 1924, despite or perhaps because of his notoriety, many Republicans wanted to draft him for president; a magazine poll in 1923 had him leading all other potential candidates.
In the end, however, Ford decided not to run. He was as arrogant as Trump but lacked his political ambition.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... z3kOjFUWhp

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:47 am

For my own edification, do you guys form your view of Trump by actually listening to the entirety of his press events, interviews, and campaign events, etc.? I have and I'm just not seeing what you're seeing at all, which makes me wonder.
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:25 pm

Trump's latest campaign event in Nashville TN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PakHtuTrvV8
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

Proton

Post by Proton » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:56 pm

Auntie Lynn wrote:What this country needs is more Melania Trumps and fewer beaners and greasers feeding at the public trough...

Ladies and Gentlemen: I present to you, Donald T. Rump's base.

"A lie can run around the world before the truth can get its boots on."
James Watt

“No government has the right to decide on the truth of scientific principles, nor to prescribe in any way the character of the questions investigated."
Richard Feynman
The Quantum Universe has a quotation from me in every chapter — but it's a damn good book anyway.”
Richard Feynman

Proton

Post by Proton » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:00 pm

Auntie Lynn wrote:As usual, the whole point is being missed here. Melania is LEGAL. She runs a business, employs
people and makes beautiful things. Compare that with the human scum breaking across the
borders here (and elsewhere). And do you seriously think The Donald would look twice at some
completely uninformed old hag bag who calls him a clown?? (I think that’s really what’s at work
here)... The reality is: nobody cares about any other candidate...
Ah, the irony of the living reincarnation of Baba Yaga hurling epithets at a woman who happens to disagree with her, with a side-order of parenthetical projection.

James Watt

“No government has the right to decide on the truth of scientific principles, nor to prescribe in any way the character of the questions investigated."
Richard Feynman
The Quantum Universe has a quotation from me in every chapter — but it's a damn good book anyway.”
Richard Feynman

piston

Post by piston » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:16 pm

One thing is absolutely certain, undeniable even by his most ardent supporters! Trump has never and will never accept any form of criticism, including humor. I was "archive" googling him in the 1980s, when he was big enough to attract the attention of cartoonists and comedians, and, of course, he had to retaliate! Gary Trudeau was less capable (read intelligent) than his wife Jane Pauley. The magazine Spy, unrelentless for a time in their ridiculing of Trump and his wife, brought him to call for their demise.

Haven't you noticed this personality trait, Rwetmore? Completely black and white. You're capable and worthy if you're on my right side; you're nothing, completely "stupid," if you're on my wrong side. There's no middle. He did the same with NYC mayor Koch in the 1980s and has continued to do so ever since.

How can a national leader be expected to solve issues with a black and white attitude like that? To the contrary, he would polarize people (and, in the process, justify aggressive actions between groups).

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:02 pm

karlhenning wrote:It's only an opinion, to be sure:

That is the Trupm candidacy in a nutshell.[/i][/url]

Karl that's more than an opinion-you've nailed it! Regards, Len :D

Proton

Post by Proton » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:47 pm

Start out with a reputation for being a boorish clod, spend two months denigrating veterans, women, Hispanics and just about everybody else, then kick back and watch as your cachet doubles. Is this a great country or what? :mrgreen:

James Watt

Richard Feynman
Richard Feynman

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:56 am

Proton wrote:Start out with a reputation for being a boorish clod, spend two months denigrating veterans, women, Hispanics and just about everybody else, then kick back and watch as your cachet doubles. Is this a great country or what? :mrgreen:
But he's not actually doing this. I notice no one answered my question above, which I'm left to conclude is because they aren't basing their views from actually listening to him speak in full. I've watched many of his campaign events, interviews, etc. in full, so please point me to incidents where he is doing what you say above that I somehow missed
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:14 am

It's true he's denigrating many politicians as being 'stupid' or 'incompetent'. I do see that, and yes, it's most definitely not politically correct to actually say such things and does put many people off. In that sense, he's most definitely breaking all the rules in the book for how to conduct a campaign. It's so foreign to us that I find it a bit unsettling myself actually. But I don't see it as personal or hateful toward them in the slightest bit, but just him brazenly saying what he really thinks (and actually what many people -- perhaps most people -- really think).

But the notion that he's attacking or inciting hate towards woman, veterans, Hispanics, etc. is just total BS. I also think the bulk of voters will fairly easily see through those allegations and come to the same conclusion. But we'll see -- it's still very early and anything can happen.
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:23 am

Here is an interesting piece:

Will Mitt Romney Jump In?

As Jeb Bush struggles to carry the establishment mantle, some wonder whether the time is right for Mitt

http://observer.com/2015/08/will-mitt-romney-jump-in/
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:23 am

Here is an interesting piece:

Experts Astounded by Trump Polls

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/ ... rump_polls
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)