Handel Edition Brilliant Classics 65 CDs for $21

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Handel Edition Brilliant Classics 65 CDs for $21

Post by jserraglio » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:54 pm

piston

Re: Handel Edition Brilliant Classics 65 CDs for $21

Post by piston » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:51 pm

We use to buy a 2-CD boxset for that price!
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:32 pm

That cannot be real ... can't be. I'll bet that offer will be withdrawn ... someone at Amazon must have made a huge mistake. There's no way this set of 65 CDs could even be made for $21/USD. For the heck of it, I placed an order. Let's see what happens.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Post by barney » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:11 am

No operas,but that doesn't bother me too much. Any idea who the performers are? I don't want it to be Eastern European Notown Hick Orchestra recordings frrom 1951 to 1955.
Incredibly tempting, but I don't listen to so much Handel these days. Maybe, if I buy this, I will...

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:37 am

Lance wrote:That cannot be real ... can't be. I'll be that offer will be withdrawn ... someone at Amazon must have made a huge mistake. There's no way this set of 65 CDs could even be made for $21/USD. For the heck of it, I placed an order. Let's see what happens.
ditto ....

but it's been up for over a week now. maybe a drone delivery trial balloon?

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:42 am

barney wrote:No operas,but that doesn't bother me too much. Any idea who the performers are? I don't want it to be Eastern European Notown Hick Orchestra recordings frrom 1951 to 1955.
Incredibly tempting, but I don't listen to so much Handel these days. Maybe, if I buy this, I will...
I am discovering Handel nowadays, mostly thru his operas. A genius of the first rank. Performers in this set are good, Concerto Köln, Neues Bachisches Collegium Musicum, English Chamber Orchestra, King’s College Choir, et al. see the link to the Brilliant Classics site printed above for a full tracklist.

John F

Post by John F » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:06 am

That's way too much Handel from one record company, and from Brilliant Classics at that. Massive quantity, questionable quality.
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:08 am

John F wrote:That's way too much Handel from one record company, and from Brilliant Classics at that. Massive quantity, questionable quality.
My experience differs, FWIW: in the Brilliant Classics discs I own, I have found excellent sound quality, minimal documentation. Brilliant licenses from a variety of mainstream companies (and AFAIK does so in this issue), as well as producing their own stuff.

bigshot

Post by bigshot » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:33 pm

I have over a dozen Brilliant Classics box sets and they are almost always good, very often quite great. The idea that box sets are assembled from scraps off the cutting room floor of obscure Eastern European orchestras just plain doesn't apply any more. Recordings that were full price just ten years ago are selling now in box sets now for a dollar or two a disk. And the idea that a discount label like Brilliant Classics is somehow inferior to the major labels like DGG and EMI doesn't apply any more either. It's a totally different world. Grab it while you can. CDs as a primary source of recorded music will soon be a thing of the past. You'll be paying a monthly fee for your music collection in the cloud in the not too distant future.

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:50 am

Lance wrote:That cannot be real ... can't be. I'll be that offer will be withdrawn ... someone at Amazon must have made a huge mistake. There's no way this set of 65 CDs could even be made for $21/USD. For the heck of it, I placed an order. Let's see what happens.
Lance, Amazon will honor the price. They always do, as long as the item is in stock.

Remember the Supraphon Dvorak Symphony edition which was wildy incorrect, price wise. It dropped to 7.98 at its lowest price, after hovering at the $10-15 price range for months. That was a steal and so is the Handel box. We should all grab this one. It has been at the top of the Amazon future listing for weeks. Amazon will lose a lot of money as the wholesale price is around $100.

Regards,
Mel 8)

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:01 am

More artists are listed on BCs site for this set which features high-quality performers.
Handel’s orchestral music is performed by a variety of German chamber groups, including the Händel-Festspielorchester Halle, and the ensuing oboe and organ concertos are played by Baroque experts City of London Sinfonia. The trio sonatas feature L’École d’Orphée, which boasts players drawn from some of the leading British Baroque orchestras, including the Academy of Ancient Music.... Roberto Loreggian performs Handel’s harpsichord music, and legendary soprano Arleen Augér sings his German arias. Sir David Willcocks conducts the Holland Boys’ Choir in the Coronation Anthems, including the ever popular Zadok the Priest, and arguably Handel’s most famous oratorio, Messiah, is performed by the Choir of King’s College, Cambridge, conducted by Stephen Cleobury.... [other] ensembles, soloists and choirs: Concerto Köln, Neues Bachisches Collegium Musicum, and the English Chamber Orchestra.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:12 am

TOC

piston

Post by piston » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:30 am

It's priced at 86 Euros on amazon.France and 95 pound on amazon.uk. I'm guessing that the correct US price should be $121. Jump on that offer while it lasts!
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:20 am

Truly, a great price if one is apt to need that "doorstop"! ; )

Cheers,
~k.
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

barney

Post by barney » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:27 pm

bigshot wrote:I have over a dozen Brilliant Classics box sets and they are almost always good, very often quite great. The idea that box sets are assembled from scraps off the cutting room floor of obscure Eastern European orchestras just plain doesn't apply any more. Recordings that were full price just ten years ago are selling now in box sets now for a dollar or two a disk. And the idea that a discount label like Brilliant Classics is somehow inferior to the major labels like DGG and EMI doesn't apply any more either. It's a totally different world. Grab it while you can. CDs as a primary source of recorded music will soon be a thing of the past. You'll be paying a monthly fee for your music collection in the cloud in the not too distant future.
I'm sure you are right, but not for all of us here who have considerable collections. I think there will be people to sell or service CD players for my lifetime, and they don't usually go wrong - do they? :(

barney

Post by barney » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:28 pm

jserraglio wrote:More artists are listed on BCs site for this set which features high-quality performers.
Handel’s orchestral music is performed by a variety of German chamber groups, including the Händel-Festspielorchester Halle, and the ensuing oboe and organ concertos are played by Baroque experts City of London Sinfonia. The trio sonatas feature L’École d’Orphée, which boasts players drawn from some of the leading British Baroque orchestras, including the Academy of Ancient Music.... Roberto Loreggian performs Handel’s harpsichord music, and legendary soprano Arleen Augér sings his German arias. Sir David Willcocks conducts the Holland Boys’ Choir in the Coronation Anthems, including the ever popular Zadok the Priest, and arguably Handel’s most famous oratorio, Messiah, is performed by the Choir of King’s College, Cambridge, conducted by Stephen Cleobury.... [other] ensembles, soloists and choirs: Concerto Köln, Neues Bachisches Collegium Musicum, and the English Chamber Orchestra.
Ok, I'm convinced. Thanks for your detective work.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:19 pm

We've had a lot of hits on this post. I wonder how many who see it here will actually order it given the advertised price. On the other hand, I don't believe it until the set arrives. I'll keep you posted.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:59 pm

I ordered it immediately after my last post, last Thursday, where I said I was convinced. As a man of conscience, I act on my convictions. :)

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:21 pm

The price just dropped to 19.99. Run, don't walk to Amazon, my fellow CMGers.

Regards,
Mel 8)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:28 pm

Just put in an order myself: $19.99 w/free shipping (I ordered another 10CD box from Harmonia Mundi). Thank you, Mel, for bringing this irressistable offer to our attention! I don't have much Handel in my collection outside of the operas, so this box fills the bill nicely.

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:00 pm

Latest news. Item currently unavailable. I guess someone at Amazon actually looked at the price and realized they would be losing quite a good deal of money on the Handel. Let us hope that those of us who ordered this item will still get this amazing bargain price on the Handel.

Regards,
Mel 8)

piston

Post by piston » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:29 pm

And from what's been reported on NYT about Amazon's corporate culture, the someone who made a pricing mistake is going to be a potential target from fellow employees...

scififan

Post by scififan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:45 am

bigshot wrote:I have over a dozen Brilliant Classics box sets and they are almost always good, very often quite great. The idea that box sets are assembled from scraps off the cutting room floor of obscure Eastern European orchestras just plain doesn't apply any more. Recordings that were full price just ten years ago are selling now in box sets now for a dollar or two a disk. And the idea that a discount label like Brilliant Classics is somehow inferior to the major labels like DGG and EMI doesn't apply any more either. It's a totally different world. Grab it while you can. CDs as a primary source of recorded music will soon be a thing of the past. You'll be paying a monthly fee for your music collection in the cloud in the not too distant future.
I have found them excellent.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:12 am

Did anyone here actually receive this set from Amazon? My order seems to be on perpetual hold..... :evil:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:43 pm

I have this funny feeling that everyone and their brother/sister has ordered this set and Amazon is inundated with orders and, because they are Amazon, Brilliant cannot make available that many sets for shipping. Don't be surprised if you find the order will be canceled because product is not available. Seeing is believing, and I've been waiting, too, along with everyone else. :(
maestrob wrote:Did anyone here actually receive this set from Amazon? My order seems to be on perpetual hold..... :evil:
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:46 am

My order shows no sign of arriving. No pigeon arriving with a warning, no cheerful email, no apologetic one either.

bigshot

Post by bigshot » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:51 pm

The Czech Dvorak set was the same as this... super low price, then it fell into limbo, but eventually I got my order. Make sure you keep your Amazon email receipt, and screen cap it to document the cover image. I bought a DVD set once where they tried to change a six disk box into a one disk box after I had ordered it. They relisted the six disk under another product number, changed the photo on the listing, and tried to pretend I had ordered the one disk. I had a copy of the receipt capped with the picture of the 6 disk set, and I showed it to them and they immediately sent me the six disk set.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:53 pm

barney wrote:My order shows no sign of arriving. No pigeon arriving with a warning, no cheerful email, no apologetic one either.
From the "Your Account" popup menu below "Hello, ..." — I found this ...

Which appears to be an ETA.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:32 am

message on another board today:
[supposed] to be released in the USA on Sept 25 2015, but when I called Amazon today, they told me they don't have a shipping date but would honor the $19.99 price when the box set is available.
Last edited by jserraglio on Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

jserraglio

Re: Handel Edition Brilliant Classics 65 CDs for $20

Post by jserraglio » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:38 am

Link to the 96-page booklet that will come with the set.

http://www.brilliantclassics.com/media/ ... wnload.pdf

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:55 am

jserraglio wrote:message on another board today:
[supposed] to be released in the USA on Sept 25 2015, but when I called Amazon today, they told me they don't have a shipping date but would honor the $19.99 price when the box set is available.
That's good news! I would expect them to do so.......

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:34 pm

Postponed again, according to Amazon for up to a month and then, either we get it or we do not................. :cry:

Regards,
Mel 8)

P.S. I will be positive, as I always am, and assume we will not be stiffed by Amazon. Brilliant classics will come through, hopefully, and deliver the Handel Boxes for us to enjoy............... :?: :roll:

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:49 am

If Brilliant can deliver the product, I'm confident that Amazon will, or they would have cancelled by now. 65 CDs by a genius composer in top-notch performances in a brand-new issue @ $19.99 . . . well worth the wait. They must be looking at hundreds, if not thousands of orders of this item to fulfill.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:10 am

I just got an email from Amazon today asking me to confirm that I still want it, as it has been so long since the order, and promising to honour the original advertised price when they finally get the product. So it seems it might be Brilliant's failure.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:37 am

barney wrote:I just got an email from Amazon today asking me to confirm that I still want it, as it has been so long since the order, and promising to honour the original advertised price when they finally get the product. So it seems it might be Brilliant's failure.
Yes, I got the same email: good luck, everyone! :D

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:11 pm

I got the same email. No doubt, given the price, this may be the best selling set ever on Brilliant's ever-growing catalogue. No doubt hundreds, if not thousands, have ordered this at the given (now lowered) price. This must be a huge loser for Amazon in making money on a product.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:08 am

An (unanticipated?) loss leader. Amazon should more than make up their losses with the goodwill and collateral sales generated by honoring the price. I ordered more than just this box when I placed my initial order.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:06 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Lance wrote:That cannot be real ... can't be. I'll bet that offer will be withdrawn ... someone at Amazon must have made a huge mistake. There's no way this set of 65 CDs could even be made for $21/USD. For the heck of it, I placed an order. Let's see what happens.
ditto ....

but it's been up for over a week now. maybe a drone delivery trial balloon?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:35 am

The long wait is over. I have a pending bill from my bank for the $19.99 plus tax order from Amazon and the Handel is scheduled to be received by Amazon on Oct 5th or 6th and will be shipped then. :D :D :D :D

Regards,
Mel 8)

P.S. I hope that all who ordered the Brilliant Box will receive this bargain of the year. I wonder how many copies were produced by Brilliant?

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:09 pm

Amazon just shipped my Handel Brilliant Box September 29th. So, many of you will probably be getting your box soon. Good luck.

Regards,
Mel 8)

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:14 pm

UPS just delivered the huge Handel Edition Box from Brilliant Classics for $19.99. So, I guess that means that Christmas will come early for those of you who have been waiting patiently for this bargain of the decade CD wise. Amazon always delivers! :D :D :D :D

Regards,
Mel 8)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:09 pm

Congratulations, Mel: I haven't received a shipping notice yet......

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:36 pm

Still awaiting my copy. No doubt the presses are running to fill what surely must be a massive order from Brilliant Classics by Amazon!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:33 pm

I cannot be the only member of the CMG to receive this box. Right?.....Huh......... :?:

Regards,
Mel 8)

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:22 am

I ordered late just before i initiated this thread so am still awaiting my turn. Amazon now pegs it at $97 in case somebody wants a second copy. Used copies run from $121 to $317.

bigshot

Post by bigshot » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:41 pm

I got my Handel box. And I even got a dollar refunded because the price went even lower than when I ordered it.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:07 pm

Good for you! :) I'm still waiting......

barney

Post by barney » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:35 am

I just got this email:
Hello,

We're contacting you about order #109-1746004-2325824. We recently discovered an error that caused the following item(s) to be displayed at an incorrect price:

Handel Edition

In this case, we're unable to offer this item for the incorrectly posted price. Therefore, we've cancelled your order for this item, and you haven't been charged.

At any given time, despite our best efforts, a small number of the millions of items on our site may be mispriced. We're very sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

To help make up for the inconvenience, we've applied a $%{Amount} Amazon.com Gift Card to your account. This amount will be applied to your next eligible order automatically without entering a claim code.

We value your business and hope to see you again soon.

Me again. I note there is no figure attached to the $%(Amount) and suspect the practical value is $00.00. I've sent them an email telling them I think this is very grubby practice, cancelling because it's inconvenient, but there is, of course, no appeal.
Congratulations to those who got the set.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:48 am

Hi, barney.

Yep, I got the same email this morning. So be it. At this point, I don't have room anyway! :roll:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:11 pm

I got a notice from Amazon today that they realized they made a mistake and have withdrawn the offer. Some people got it, some didn't. I waited a long time. I am, of course, disappointed.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief