New soprano & repertoire discovery (for me!)

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

New soprano & repertoire discovery (for me!)

Post by Lance » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:04 pm

I have suddenly become interested in the classical music of MEXICO, having recently heard Ricardo Castro's (1864-1907) piano concerto [Sterling label], and then a group of piano waltzes. In looking around for more material by Castro, I, of course, discovered other composers of Mexican piano music: Enrique D'Abbadie, Raúl Lardon de Guevara, Felipe Villaneuva, José Rolón, Melesio Morales, and Gustavo Campa.

In looking for this repertoire, the Tempus label [10102, 35 minutes++] issued a CD {Chanson d'amour} of 10 songs by composer Castro, Morales and Campa with a sweet-sounding soprano named Luz Angélica Uribe with pianist Armando Merino . It's a pricey disc for only 35+ minutes, and while pianist Armando Merino is a wonderful pianist, his soprano is no less wonderful, who only sometimes just gets under the pitch, but who also displays a creamy, even, most attactive voice.

I assume the Tempus label derives from Mexico, but can someone tell me phonetically, how one might pronounce Luz Angélica Uribe's name, especially her first- and last names? Would it be LOOTZ or LUHTZ anJHEHLica ureeBAY?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

josé echenique

Re: New soprano & repertoire discovery (for me!)

Post by josé echenique » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:00 pm

No problem dear Lance, Luz is pronounced like Lou and the z like sss, instead of thhh as in Spain.
Uribe also every vocal is pronounced, the U as in University, ri as in river, and be as in Beethoven.

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Angélica is pronounced the A as in Apple, the gé which has the accent, is more tricky, it is not as in generous, since we have a different pronunciation for the g, it´s a sharper sound, damn, can´t think of something similar in English.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:23 pm

Thank you, thank you! I learned quite a bit from your phonetics and appreciate this. Please let me know what you find about the "g" comparison for Angélica. Languages: they can be frustrating, to say the least.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]