For Lance, The Piano Tuner........

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

For Lance, The Piano Tuner........

Post by stenka razin » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:48 pm

Lance, you should enjoy this, my friend. 8)

http://www.factsandarts.com/music-revie ... -or-woman/

Regards,
Mel 8)

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: For Lance, The Piano Tuner........

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:58 pm

Very interesting article, indeed. Thank you for posting it. I have, of course, heard of Ms. Renner. In line with tuning, I must say I have endured probably the worst winter for pianos I have encountered in a very long time. Among cold, ultra-cold, rain, dampness, heat in places running at high levels, the poor pianos don't know what to do. I recently had to prepare/tune an American Steinway D for a concert three times within 36 hours. Between blowing hot-air fans, and hot lights beating down on the strings, then turning heat off when the audience came in, then off ... and on again during the intermission, the sounding board and strings didn't know what to do. The piano was a vintage 1940s-just-after-World War II model with an incredibly beautiful and resonant sound. I had re-hammered the piano using German hammers about six years ago. Even the tuning pins were loose on a piano that normal "holds reasonably well." One must think of a piano as a human being: it likes evenness of temperature and humidity just like humans do - stability.

Then there was an excellent vintage 1950s Baldwin Model F (7-footer) that I rebuilt a few years ago. That piano is exposed mostly to jazz concerts and some classical chamber concerts. One unnamed person literally pounded the piano (in a wild manner) for a live jazz performance even while heaters were blowing before the concert and again at intermission. The hot lights continued to warm not only the strings, but the entire instrument. It held remarkably well except for a few notes that were really "battered." Church pianos are another headache. No heat all week long and on it goes Saturday evening for Sunday services.

People have no idea what competent tuners must do to make the artists happy. Their ears must always be listening while they are there at a concert. Many times you will find the tuner goes up at the intermission to touch up some unisons, even in the finest pianos (especially after something like Pictures at an Exhibition, or the Hammerklavier Sonata). I am still of the opinion that electronic pianos are particularly suitable for jazz music since they don't require tuning and volume can be set at peak. No doubt Schumann, Horowitz, Rubinstein, Beethoven, or anyone of that ilk would not like creating or hearing their music for a non-acoustic instrument. I fully concur with Ms. Renner that what John Cage does to the piano was NOT meant for acoustic instruments. It does more damage than good. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Ricordanza

Re: For Lance, The Piano Tuner........

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:06 am

Lance wrote:One must think of a piano as a human being: it likes evenness of temperature and humidity just like humans do - stability.
Maybe those pianos need Aleve. It helps me this time of year. :roll: