Where does it stop: the mega-boxes

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Where does it stop: the mega-boxes

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:39 pm

I was happy to acquire the Sony Classical big LP-shaped boxes of Leonard Bernstein's recordings as they were issued featuring all his New York Philharmonic recordings, and much else, including early recordings even from RCA. Now Deutsche Grammophon is issuing Bernstein's complete recordings (including the American Deccas of which there were not many). They, too, are LP-sized editions, 59 CDs in Volume I and 64 CDs in Volume II. No doubt most collectors already have on CD the recordings that interested them most of Bernstein's work on both labels, however, the pricing is so attractive for either of these - and to have the entire collection makes it all the more interesting, but is it practical? Not unless you are a hoarder of music, I guess! :)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

IN278S

Re: Where does it stop: the mega-boxes

Post by IN278S » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:55 am

Where does it stop? We'll know it's getting close to the end when Sony gives us the giant Ormandy box. The early recordings (1923-30) as violinist and conductor on Cameo and Okeh, all owned by Sony; the 1930s Victor recordings with the Minneapolis Symphony; all the Victor and Columbia 78s with the Philadelphia Orchestra; the World's Greatest Music 78s; and of course all the RCA Victor and Columbia LPs.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:16 pm

I hope it never does stop! The history of recorded music should be available toall who are interested, and the success of mega-boxes is an encouraging sign.

As for Bernstein's DGG recordings, there are very few that appeal to me (the transcriptions for string orchestra of Beethoven's two late quartets is one).

As for Ormandy, yes, that would be a treat for sure!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:39 pm

I have not seen a thing on the mega-box on Ormandy. Can someone point me to info, and I will also take a look for it. I might like this one, but it would have to a HUGE box, for sure.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

IN278S

Post by IN278S » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:00 pm

Lance wrote:I have not seen a thing on the mega-box on Ormandy. Can someone point me to info, and I will also take a look for it. I might like this one, but it would have to a HUGE box, for sure.
Lance, I'm sorry, I was kidding about that one! Wasn't clear enough when I wrote that, not quite enough caffeine in my system. Still, if I were running Sony I'd at least think about it..

Mookalafalas

Post by Mookalafalas » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:54 am

The Mega-box blizzard has been one of the luckiest events of my life. I probably would have remained a classical "nibbler" til the end of my days, but once I got caught up in that onslaught, how could I not become a fanatic?!
That said, if it stops now I really won't mind. I'll be 50 this year, and there literally aren't enough days left in my life to really get to know everything I've got sufficiently well. I'm on a purchasing moratorium til October or so. I live in Taiwan and am contemplating moving to Japan in a couple of years. Where will I even put all these boxes :roll: :D :lol:
Call me Al (cuz its my name)

SONNET CLV

Post by SONNET CLV » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:37 pm

Megaboxes. Which explain why space in my listening room is now coffin sized. Still ... I've been told that my body will shrink more and more so as I age, so .... There should be room to keep adding.

I did pick up both of the Bernstein SONY boxes, and have been seriously eyeing the DG box sets ... which I haven't leaped into yet, because prices are so divergent at present and I've been looking for the absolute bargain. (Intriguingly, the day after I put the DG Bernstein Collection Volume 1 in my Amazon in-box, at a very good price, quite affordable, I received notice of a "price change" -- the set increased 60 bucks over night! So ... I'm still shopping.)

I'll probably get them. Afterall, no one will have to bury me. I'll already be well encased in my listening room -- right where I like to be!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:40 am

SONNET CLV wrote:Megaboxes. Which explain why space in my listening room is now coffin sized. Still ... I've been told that my body will shrink more and more so as I age, so .... There should be room to keep adding.

I did pick up both of the Bernstein SONY boxes, and have been seriously eyeing the DG box sets ... which I haven't leaped into yet, because prices are so divergent at present and I've been looking for the absolute bargain. (Intriguingly, the day after I put the DG Bernstein Collection Volume 1 in my Amazon in-box, at a very good price, quite affordable, I received notice of a "price change" -- the set increased 60 bucks over night! So ... I'm still shopping.)

I'll probably get them. Afterall, no one will have to bury me. I'll already be well encased in my listening room -- right where I like to be!
Forgive me, but I would advise you against the Bernstein DGG box: the musical quality is not at all what he was able to accomplish in NY, with a few exceptions (the Beethoven quartets transcribed for string orchestra stand out for me), and there's much duplication of repertoire. His NY Mahler for my money is clearly superior, for example. If you want his Vienna Mahler, hunt for the DVD set, which has been discussed before, and is clearly superior to his last versions put on DGG CDs.

The reason I say all this is that LB was able to get sufficient rehearsal time here in NYC during the Columbia years, not so with DGG (He needed a lot). I once attended a performance of Mahler VII here in NY (a guest appearance) he was recording for DGG: it was quite awful, and they had to do patch & splice sessions after the three public performances just to save the recording.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:46 pm

One thing that has inhibited me is the price jump in these boxes here in Canada, generally 50 to 100% higher than a couple of years ago. This is partly due to the drop in our currency, and partly the record companies' pricing. Good thing I bought so many of these sets a few years back. I may even catch up on my cataloguing backlog.
In the last year, I've only purchased a number of smaller Sony boxes - like Levine/ NYP/ Mahler - which is very good. Levine is on my A list *; whereas Bernstein is not. I've also obtained the Tafelmusik box, which I'm about 2/3 way through, and the Dutoit/ MSO box. That's going to be a great one when I get to it.
Of my older boxes, I haven't even touched the giant Rubinstein box, or the Living Stereo box, and I'm just beginning the Liszt box that I've had a few years. So that's another reason I'm not buying at the same rate.
I am rather coveting the Brendel box and the Beaux Arts Trio boxes, but the price is too high, given what I've become accustomed to paying. And when will I get around to playing them?

* 'A' list means I'll buy anything with that name on it, provided the price is reasonable and I don't already have that recording.

SONNET CLV

Post by SONNET CLV » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:24 pm

maestrob wrote:
SONNET CLV wrote:Megaboxes.
I did pick up both of the Bernstein SONY boxes, and have been seriously eyeing the DG box sets ... which I haven't leaped into yet....
Forgive me, but I would advise you against the Bernstein DGG box: the musical quality is not at all what he was able to accomplish in NY, with a few exceptions (the Beethoven quartets transcribed for string orchestra stand out for me), and there's much duplication of repertoire. His NY Mahler for my money is clearly superior, for example. If you want his Vienna Mahler, hunt for the DVD set, which has been discussed before, and is clearly superior to his last versions put on DGG CDs.

The reason I say all this is that LB was able to get sufficient rehearsal time here in NYC during the Columbia years, not so with DGG (He needed a lot). I once attended a performance of Mahler VII here in NY (a guest appearance) he was recording for DGG: it was quite awful, and they had to do patch & splice sessions after the three public performances just to save the recording.
Thanks for the advice. I do still have much to explore in the two SONY Bernstein megaboxes ... and the dozens of other megaboxes in which I am currently ensconced. Or should I say "imprisioned"?

Besides, I've just heard about the recently released 56 disc set The Complete Columbia Album Collection of Stravinsky, and I found a notch in my listening room detritus where it just ... might ... fit.