Brexit and the classical CD

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

slofstra

Brexit and the classical CD

Post by slofstra » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:53 pm

The bad news (depending on your political bent) is that the UK may be leaving the EU.
The good news is that with the pound dropping to $1.35, it's once again time to look for bargain classical CDs on mdt.co.uk.

jserraglio

Re: Brexit and the classical CD

Post by jserraglio » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:01 am

Indeed I just saved 10% on a MDT order over yesterday's price due solely to the weak GBP.

absinthe

Post by absinthe » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:06 am

Well, huhhhhhh, it was a price to pay - did I want a British-run Britain or a Merkel-run one via Brussels,
which is what it's becoming?
But the good news about the £ dropping is exports are cheaper, as seems the thrust of this thread.

Enjoy. It's a pendulum. When I first joined this site the $ was so cheap the situation was reversed.

It's dropped nicely against the $, less so against the euro.... sad for me that it's dropped against the yen as I
buy a fair bit from Japan. (Crikey -10%.)

However, it isn't a musical topic but just to say that the EU is in trouble and could well collapse without
any prompting from the UK. It's about to go into recession so watch out for musical bargains there.

Look on it that the UK has done its bit toward liberating continental Europeans...not for the first time!

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:57 am

I didn't wait and ordered my pre-order copy of Ginastera's "Bomarzo" today from MDT.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Modernistfan wrote:I didn't wait and ordered my pre-order copy of Ginastera's "Bomarzo" today from MDT.
Ordered two and got 'em for $30 including shipping.

QTY 2 $25.19
Subtotal $25.19
Shipping & Handling $4.83
Grand Total $30.02

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:37 am

I'm glad some of you are finding some bargains. I've spot checked a few prices, and amazon.ca still comes out the better for me. Our Canadian dollar has dropped significantly with our resource based economy, so that's the issue.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to the 'Brexit' campaign as I was counting on it being a non-event with "Remain" winning. The last few days I've been reading the papers cover to cover. I have mixed feelings about the entire issue, and this is not the place to discuss those in any case. Fortunately.

I do hope for the best though, for Britain, and for my British and UK friends here at CMG.

... Henry

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:47 am

I just looked at Presto Classical, another English mail-order supplier, and their prices for Wergo (normally an expensive label focusing on modern stuff), just dropped from $13.80 per CD (already relatively cheap for that label as they are running a sale on contemporary music) to a very low $12.40. I am probably going to fire off an order in the next day or two.