New SERVER coming up!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

New SERVER coming up!

Post by Lance » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:22 pm

I have just been advised by our site guru, Rick, that he is ready to make the transition to an entirely new server. That means we will be down for a period of time. If you cannot log on, this is the reason. In the end, the wait will be worth it. John Francis and I stay in touch so if you can't reach me at my email address: lanceghill@msn.com, and have John Francis's contact information (if you NEED to converse with either of us), please feel free to do so. [Trust you won't mind, John Francis!] We should be up and running again as soon as possible. All best wishes and hopefully a very smooth transition.

I HAVE JUST LEARNED THE CMG SITE WILL PROBABLY BE DOWN AN HOUR OR LESS. THE TRANSITION TO NEW SERVER WILL OCCUR ON THURSDAY, MARCH 9TH, 2017.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Re: New SERVER coming up!

Post by John F » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:20 pm

While he's at it, would Rick look into the incompatibility of the new user interface and Chrome? jserraglio says it's no problem for him, but it's definitely a problem for Belle and I've confirmed it.
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:33 pm

Check the version of Chrome you're running and make certain that it is the latest version. Not saying that an outdated browser is causing your problem but it's pretty common and Chrome's up-to-date version works fine for me.
https://itube.iskysoft.com/download-you ... hrome.html YouTube Not Working on Chrome in Windows 8 When using Google Chrome on Windows 8, YouTube can fail to work due to the following problems:1) Outdated browser: this problem can be easily fixed by updating your browser to the latest version........

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Thanks for the advice; I'll have to consult my son (again!). This is the only place I have trouble with accessing U-Tube links. Everywhere else is fine.

Cheers,
Belle

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:08 pm

Belle wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:23 pm
This is the only place I have trouble with accessing U-Tube links. Everywhere else is fine.
New software here on the CMG forum might not be playing well with an older Chrome browser version, whereas older software elsewhere would likely work fine with it.

An outdated browser may not be your problem but if it is, the solution will be simple and you should update your browser in any event. Chrome is a very good browser, though I prefer Opera. No reason to opt out of it.

You can easily check your Chrome version by following this simple YT video. If the browser needs updating, there will be a link that will do it for you. If it is already up-to-date, the page will say Google Chrome is up to date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awc6VDSIQYk

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:00 pm

See update on my original post. Transition to new server will be this coming Thursday and will probably take less than one hour.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:15 pm

Thanks for the update, Lance! For the record, I've been using Google Chrome and it works fine so far. I wonder if the problem with words splitting while typing in the Reply window can be fixed? I've gotten used to it in the short time we've been using the new format, but it is annoying.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:24 am

Yes, I've noticed that too and wondered. However, when you go to the actual post, it shows properly. I'll see what Rick has to say about this when initially writing posts.
maestrob wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:15 pm
Thanks for the update, Lance! For the record, I've been using Google Chrome and it works fine so far. I wonder if the problem with words splitting while typing in the Reply window can be fixed? I've gotten used to it in the short time we've been using the new format, but it is annoying.

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Tarnus

Post by Tarnus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:43 am

OK Server is now moved. Let me know if there are any issues.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:59 pm

Thank you, Rick. Appreciate the prompt service. Will be watching closely.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Congratulations, Rick, on a smooth-as-silk transfer, and thank-you! :D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:06 pm

I`m aboard jet blue coming home from florida using their free wifi-haven`t fully checked out the new systembut on first glance it looks fine-thanks! Len

PS I see that smiley is still there.