Survey From My Congressman

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Survey From My Congressman

Post by lennygoran » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:33 am

Got an email from my Congressman Josh Gottheimer--the guy who upended the horrible Scott Garrett in the last election. I certainly won't choose 1 or 2 but any thoughts on how to choose among 3, 4 or 5? To me those all seem to have some merit? Regards, Len

Health Care Reform Survey

The future of the Affordable Care Act is at a major crossroads.

As your Representative, my most important job is listening and being responsive to the people of northern New Jersey. That's why I want to know what you think Congress should do with the Affordable Care Act.

There are loud voices on all sides of this issue, but I represent you, not party leaders or special interests.

So please take a moment to take this short survey and let me know what you think Congress should do about the Affordable Care Act.

Your answers will help me do my job better for you.

What do you think Congress should do about the Affordable Care Act?*

1. Repeal the Affordable Care Act immediately then set about trying to put together a replacement plan.

2. Keep the Affordable Care Act exactly as is.

3. Work to put together a replacement plan before repealing the Affordable Care Act.

4. Keep what’s working about the Affordable Care Act, like the assurance that those with preexisting conditions can get coverage, while fixing what’s broken like the Medical Device Tax.

5. Fix the problems with Affordable Care Act, but protect Medicare and Medicaid from privatization and cuts.

John F

Re: Survey From My Congressman

Post by John F » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:54 pm

#5, obviously - seems obvious to me anyway. But with the Republicans in charge, it's almost certainly not what will happen. Is your congressman on the committee that will actually write the bill? Also, joined issuevoter.com yet? :wink:
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:19 pm

John F wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:54 pm
#5, obviously - seems obvious to me anyway. But with the Republicans in charge, it's almost certainly not what will happen. Is your congressman on the committee that will actually write the bill? Also, joined issuevoter.com yet? 😉
Thanks, don't know why 5 is obvious but we had 18 inches of snow but at least the snow plow guy came--will look into your questions tomorrow--have not joined issuevoter. com yet. Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:36 pm

You really don't see the obviousness of #5? I'm astonished. #5 includes #4, which is redundant and insufficient. Even President Obama and the Democrats acknowledge that the ACA isn't perfect and wanted to fix it, so there's no good reason to prefer #2. And unless you're in favor of repealing the ACA, which I believe you are not, then #1 and #3 are both unacceptable. What's left? #5.

I'd add that few of us here are personally threatened by the Republicans' efforts to kill the ACA. We have health insurance from Medicare or other retirement benefits, or through our employers. A purely selfish i.e. Republican approach would be to repeal the ACA leaving tens of millions unable to afford health insurance, cut taxes on the rich, mission accomplished. But we aren't that selfish, are we?
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:04 am

John F wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:36 pm
You really don't see the obviousness of #5? I'm astonished. #5 includes #4, which is redundant and insufficient. Even President Obama and the Democrats acknowledge that the ACA isn't perfect and wanted to fix it, so there's no good reason to prefer #2. And unless you're in favor of repealing the ACA, which I believe you are not, then #1 and #3 are both unacceptable. What's left? #5.
Thanks-btw I had said 1 and 2 were out. I will go with 5 when I do the survey. Regards, Len

PS-looking at 3 while it's short on detail is it really so bad?

"3. Work to put together a replacement plan before repealing the Affordable Care Act."