Scam phone call

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

John F

Scam phone call

Post by John F » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:41 am

I just got a new one. Didn't answer as the caller ID was "unknown" but got this message on the answering machine:
This call is officially a final notice from IRS internal revenue service the reason of this call is to inform you that IRS is filing a lawsuit on your name because you had tried to defraud the IRS/Internal Revenue Service. For more information regarding this case file call this number 844-668-3972 I will repeat it 844-668-3972.
You can imagine this got my attention and I called that number almost immediately, getting a voice mail reply saying nobody was there to answer the call. Of course that made me suspicious but just in case, I left a message. Then I looked up the phone number on findwhocallsyou.com, and others have reported it as a scam; one of them actually called up the real IRS and was reassured they hadn't called him. They don't communicate with us by phone, only by mail.

What's the point of the scam? I understand that it's about verifying that the called phone number is active, so it can be used for other robocalls. Most likely my number got on the scammer's active list the moment the answering machine answered the call.
Last edited by John F on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Francis

Modernistfan

Re: Scam phone call

Post by Modernistfan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:00 pm

This scam is well known. The scammers are typically trying to get payments via prepaid debt cards. The IRS will first contact taxpayers by certified mail if there is a problem such as a penalty or an underpayment. Believe it or not, people have paid millions of dollars to the scammers. For more information, go to TIGTA at www.tigta.gov or call 800-366-4484. Do not under any circumstances pay money to the scammers. Impersonation of an IRS official is a federal felony that will land the scammers in the slammer.

John F

Post by John F » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Well known perhaps, but calls from that phone number began a week ago, according to findwhocallsyou.com. I suppose anybody can play that game.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:30 pm

John F wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:41 am
I just got a new one. Didn't answer as the caller ID was "unknown" but got this message on the answering machine
I've been getting calls like that for months-I either hang up immediately or if it's on the answering phone delete it immediately. Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:01 pm

By "calls like this" do you mean they claim to be from the IRS, or are you speaking of robocalls generally? If the latter, I usually don't pick up at all unless I recognize the caller on Caller ID.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:42 pm

John F wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:01 pm
By "calls like this" do you mean they claim to be from the IRS, or are you speaking of robocalls generally? If the latter, I usually don't pick up at all unless I recognize the caller on Caller ID.
John specifically the IRS-I've answered them a few times with curses and profanities! Regards, Len :lol:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:22 pm

Yes, I've had these calls to. Pay no attention and give NO information whatsoever.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]